Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

TREK 520 Fan Club

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

TREK 520 Fan Club

Old 09-04-13, 06:08 AM
kris7047th

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Dolce Sport Compact, .. Novara 2013 Madrona 29'er, Trek 520 2012, Surly Pugsley fatbike 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

51c
The trunk bag is off. I mostly use a set of Ortlieb SportPacker Plus and I now have a set of the Ortlieb Back Roller Plus bags in Hazel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2477.jpg (103.5 KB, 1237 views)
Old 09-05-13, 10:15 AM
Lanovran

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Check out the new "crystal white" paint on the 2014 520...

I dig the classic head badge and logo design, but I prefer the overall look of my 2013 in "metallic bronze." The specs are exactly the same, so all that has changed is the color. What do you folks think?
Attached Images
2014_520.jpg (84.3 KB, 1253 views)
Likes For Lanovran:
Old 09-05-13, 11:26 AM
corwin1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Lanovran
Check out the new "crystal white" paint on the 2014 520...

I dig the classic head badge and logo design, but I prefer the overall look of my 2013 in "metallic bronze." The specs are exactly the same, so all that has changed is the color. What do you folks think?
I like it. A lot. Especially the retro-looking seat tube panel.
Old 09-05-13, 12:11 PM
maxine

Bikes: Airborne Carpe Diem; Trek 520

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My s/o has a (mostly) white bike. Looks sharp when it's clean, but it doesn't take much at all for it to look totally filthy. I have a 2007 520 (black.) At first I wasn't wild about the color, but it's grown on me. If you look at it closely in the sun, the paint job is actually color-flecked, which is kind of cool.
Old 09-05-13, 04:27 PM
LoriG

Bikes: 2002 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LuckySailor, did you get your 520?
Old 09-09-13, 08:24 AM
LuckySailor

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Hi LoriG. Yep, got the 520. I have sent the frameset to be outfitted with S&S couplers, and when it comes back I will apply a new powdercoat. I have also rethought my component groupset; and have gone with Ultegra. Derailuers, triple crank in the front 52/39/30, and 11-36 cassette in the back. SON28 dynamo hub, LuxosU headlight with USB for charging, and tail light. Tubus rack in the back. Brooks B17 saddle. Will post pics when its done hopefully sometime before Christmas. Not in any hurry now as the snow will fly here next month. So it'll sit til spring now
Old 09-09-13, 01:14 PM
LuckySailor

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
FWIW, I don't like the crystal white color nor the retro Trek decal. That design with the blue outlines is sooooo 80's Not that the 80s were bad, 'cause for me they weren't. I can't get decals from Trek, so I will copy the existing decals on my 2013, and replicate them. The mettallic bronze I didn't care for really either, but I have grown to like it actually. But, doesn't matter really, cause the new powder coat will be nothing Trek-like.
Old 09-16-13, 07:05 AM
kris7047th

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Dolce Sport Compact, .. Novara 2013 Madrona 29'er, Trek 520 2012, Surly Pugsley fatbike 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought my 520 last month right before the new 2014 was announced. But I knew the color scheme as my LBS looked it up to compare pricing and components variances. I was glad to get the Dk bronze instead. I too have a white bike a 2011 Specialized Dolce Sport that has less white than the new Trek 520. This makes no sense to me as a touring bike you expect it to get dirty and wOw it will show while on a trip. I am thinking there will be a rush on the 2012 models for the fence sitters who waited to see the 2014 and will be disappointed with this color scheme.
Old 09-16-13, 09:46 AM
LoriG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LuckySailor, congrats! Please post pics here when it's done! Where will you be touring next year?

Here's my photo contribution to this thread...

I love my bike. I bought if off Craigslist. It's a 2002, but used very lightly so it didn't take much to "make it mine"...I admit I'm a new cyclist, my first road bike. I've only ever owned one other bike, a hybrid which I still have. When I was a kid, I was sick a lot so missed out on a lot of childhood stuff. I've been a runner for years and still love it but this is a whole new experience. When I ride, I feel like a kid on summer vacation. I hope to do some kind of touring someday but as you can see in the pic, there's great scenery 5 miles from home.

Last week I bought an Arkel handlebar bag, and will change the rack next spring and get some small rear panniers. Also, I'm considering changing the bar ends to the brake/shift combo. Is there a reason NOT to do that? as I notice touring bikes stay with the bar ends.

LuckySailor, I have to ask about your user name...What's your connection to sailing? We lived on a sailboat for 3 years, one of which was cruising in Mexico. We're 4 hours from the Pacific now but I really miss those days. IMHO, there is no better lifestyle than living on a boat.
Attached Images
bike for web.jpg (17.8 KB, 1183 views)
Old 09-16-13, 10:15 PM
LuckySailor

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
LoriG, There is no reason not to put on STI shifters. The conversion won't be cheap, and supposingly if they break, they are expensive to repair. That's what I hear. I've no experience with them. It comes down to personal preference. I started a thread a couple months back call, "Why bar end shifters?" This touched on STI's. The last of the Cannondale touring bikes had STI shifters, and there are others now too. I'm not going on any "tours" next year. I will be doing alot of distance training rides. I will be doing the Tour du Canada in 2015. This tour goes from Vancouver, British Columbia to St. Johns, Newfoundland. It's a 10 week supported tour. Camping almost every night. As for my user name, I am a 10 year veteran of The U.S.Navy. That is the Sailor part. In 1997, I met the love of my life at the World Trade Center. She was visiting New York City, and I was there on business. We did the long distance relationship thing for a year, then I moved to Canada, where she is from and that is where we currently reside. So I am Lucky in love-still, even after 15 years of marrige. So there you have it. I never set foot on a ship the whole time I was in. I was stationed at Camp Pendleton for the first and last parts of my time in. I spent alot of time with the Marines out in the field. While I was staioned in San Diego, I wanted to buy a boat and live on it. We had friends that lived on a boat. My wife at the time, also Navy, wouldn't have anything to do with that idea. She never set foot on a ship either! I learned alot being married to her. Specifically, what I wanted in a relationship and what I didn't want. So, I presently have exactly what I would have designed for myself as a marrige. Sorry to be so long winded tonight. Good night!
Old 09-26-13, 02:57 PM
side_FX

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I am considering a 520 as an everyday, every ride type of a bike. I was considering a CrossRip but I like the steel nature of the 520. I also like the retro 2014 look. I can deal with bar end shifters. How does this bike perform when it's NOT loaded up and packed for a cross country trip?
Old 09-30-13, 08:08 AM
LoriG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
side_fx, as I said above, I'm pretty new to cycling so my opinion is based on limited experience but I'm very happy with the 520 as an every day, every ride bike. I think if my priorities ever changed to where I want to concentrate more on speed, I guess I'd consider a lighter bike but I really like the solid feel and comfort.

LuckySailor, great story. My husband refers to our first spouses as his "practice wife" and his "practice husband", but along with practice, I think luck does play a role in finding a great partner. I'm glad you found yours. Thank you for your service. My husband is retired USCG. Your tour sounds wonderful! I'd love to do something like that someday.
Old 09-30-13, 08:52 AM
LuckySailor

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
side_fx, First off, you should consider seeking out a bike shop that stocks the 520 and test ride it. I took the Surly long haul trucker, and the Salsa Vaya out for direct comparison to the 520. For me, the LHT was exactly that. A big ole truck-capable of hauling anything I could throw at it. The Salsa Vaya was a lightweight, very nimble bike that I more doubted it could handle a more than a tour or two. The 520 on the other hand was a great mix of the two. As a commuter,bop around town kinda bike the 520 will do ya good.
Old 09-30-13, 09:16 AM
vins0010

Bikes: '86 Trek Elance 400; '83 Trek 520; 90s Specialized Crossroads, '84 Trek 610 (wife's), 90s Trek Multitrack (wife's), Cargo Trailers, Burley for the Kids, WeeHoo Trailer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my Trek 520. An '83, the year before cantilever brakes, I think. Despite being a 520, it has more of a light-touring/sport geometry to it. So, I put less beefy wheels on it and kept the set-up a bit more light weight but use a trailer for touring (it also serves as my commuter back-up). Since this picture was taken, I've added fenders. I'm thinking of swapping out the stem because the current set-up has me a little too upright. Unfortunately, not much riding this summer (and no overnights) with a baby born in April.
Attached Images
Trek 520 1 Small.jpg (100.3 KB, 1125 views)
Old 10-01-13, 12:52 PM
LuckySailor

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
side_FX, I found this today so I thought I would share [h=2]Trek 520[/h] Trek 520 Touring Bike

Trek’s touring bike has been the multi-day touring standard for more than 3 decades. If you’re a committed touring cyclist looking for the utmost in comfort and durability, the 520 is for you.
The bike rides great regardless of the amount of weight that is packed onto it. Unloaded, the 520 is fun to ride. Loaded, even with front panniers, you can handle the 520 in the most severe cross winds.
The key features of the 520 are the frameset, which is made of springy, strong, and surprisingly light cromoly tubing (about 2 pounds lighter than Surly’s Long Haul Trucker), the robust traditionally spoked touring wheels with DT spokes and Shimano hubs, and the complete Shimano drivetrain utilizing the best elements of road and off-road componentry.
The 520 in rootbeer

Don’t let the bar-end shifters or rim brakes fool you into thinking that this is a stale design. Cutting-edge and new is great when you are a few miles from home (and a familiar bike shop), but do you think that little one-man repair shop in the Canadian rockies is going to have a replacement STI lever in stock? Think you’ll find a disc rotor at the hardware store in Dent, Minnesota after your broken bungee cord has put a half-inch dent in yours? Trek has picked equipment that is reliable, touring tested and simple to repair in even the most out of the way places.
Old 10-05-13, 09:23 PM
side_FX

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the great comments to all. I really want to see the 2014 in person, I dig the retro color. The crossrip family has some possibilities as well. I may have to spend a day at my LBS and ride 'me all!
Old 10-30-13, 09:32 AM
Rucksack

Bikes: Trek 520, Giant Anthem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikescooling
I've got one too
Nice looking 520. I had to wait a few years and that color went away.
Old 12-25-13, 12:46 PM
badgnome

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

My 2009 that just had a complete overhaul done including a framesaver application. The did change the saddle height and angle so I may have to go back to readjust.

Over the last four years I've had to replace both rims, BB, front derailleur (due to accident), rear rack (rubbing from ortleib panniers), and fenders. One thing I could not replace are the cones for the hubs which are no longer being made - Shimano!?!

Optional upgrades were the seat and TRP shifters.

Add-ons are bell, kickstand, lights, problem solver pedal platforms, and mirror (might mount it to handlebars later on).
Attached Images
IMG_1775.jpg (98.5 KB, 1114 views)
Old 12-30-13, 07:46 AM
kris7047th

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was able to compare my 2012 alongside the 2014 and I am so glad that I bought the 2012. There are plastic rings/fittings instead of the metal brass colored ring right above the fork and at the seat post as seen on my bike. Trek made some minor "downgrades" on the 2014. Oh .. the chain guard is really thin plastic compared to the heavier one that was on previous years.

It had been raining that day and I had a cover on my seat. I am so glad that I went with a double kick stand. I use my bike to do just about all of my grocery shopping.
Attached Images
photo.jpg (103.8 KB, 1204 views)

Last edited by kris7047th; 12-30-13 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-02-14, 10:11 AM
LuckySailor

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

This is a recent shot of my 2013 frame, with a new sunshine pearlescent yellow finish. The graphics have been airbrushed and then the frame cleared again. Next, back to the LBS for the build. I added "Custom" to the 520 logo because the components are far from stock, and will include a SON28 hub dynamo, Brooks B17 saddle and bar tape in blue to match logo work, S&S couplers, and other upgrades. The C2C 2015 is in anticipation of the cross country tour I will embark on in June 2015. I will post the finished bike when I take delivery.
Attached Images
520 C2C 2015 frame.jpg (24.1 KB, 1147 views)
Old 01-03-14, 03:00 PM
IDOutlaw

Bikes: Specialized HardRock -- 78 Raleigh Comp GS -- 70 Raleigh Sprite -- 13 Nash Hounder Fixed - 91 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just ripped through this thread...now wiping the drool off of my keyboard. Well done folks!! My search continues...
Old 01-09-14, 08:56 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 27 Posts

My '83 is getting some old STI's - 5500 9speed... (the 620 is getting re-converted to loaded touring duty after valiantly allowing me to experience a SSCX race.)

Old 01-29-14, 09:24 AM
Hardy Woodward

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Madone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found my Trek 520 by accident, I was looking for older road bike to use on a ride. I found an awesome charity in the St Louis Area. www.bworks.org they are a 100% volunteer organization that has a summer program for at risk kids. At the end of the summer program the kids that complete it receive a bike as a reward. They survive on reselling donated bikes, I though I could find a bike and support a great charity. I went there on a whim and found a used Trek 520 in really good condition. So $500 later it was mine, I thought I was only going to use it for a ride I was planning on the Katy Trail. I have a trek Madone that I have been riding for the last couple of years. So I was suprised at how much I like the 520. I have had it since May 2013 and I have ridden it 1000 miles and now the only time I ride the madone is for racing. Here is picture from the day I brought it home.

Attached Images
Bike Small.jpg (83.0 KB, 1115 views)
Old 01-30-14, 02:48 PM
LuckySailor

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Sweet find!
Old 03-02-14, 02:16 PM
ecsdude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kris7047th
I was able to compare my 2012 alongside the 2014 and I am so glad that I bought the 2012. There are plastic rings/fittings instead of the metal brass colored ring right above the fork and at the seat post as seen on my bike. Trek made some minor "downgrades" on the 2014. Oh .. the chain guard is really thin plastic compared to the heavier one that was on previous years.

It had been raining that day and I had a cover on my seat. I am so glad that I went with a double kick stand. I use my bike to do just about all of my grocery shopping.
Hi Kris7047th,

Are you certain that the 2014 Trek 520 uses plastic rings/fittings? Can anyone else confirm? Also, looking at the specs of 2012/2013 Trek 520 vs 2014, which other components are deemed inferior? From what I can tell as a notice, it looks like the brakes, seatpost, headset are better on 2013, but the 2014 may have better tires (all weather edition)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.