Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post Your Bridgestones -- The Unofficial Bridgestone Thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post Your Bridgestones -- The Unofficial Bridgestone Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-20, 08:03 PM
stellarpod
Staunch 2A advocate

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD10, Bridgestone RADAC 3100, Cannondale hardtail mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Good evening, gentlemen. Here's a pic of my 1990 (I think) edition of a Bridgestone RADAC 3100. Full Dura-Ace (7-speed). I bought this bike new from Al's Bicycles on the south side of Oklahoma City back in 1990 and it was my club ride for several years. It's a 61cm frame. I immediately rebuilt the wheels with sew-up rims, as I was running Conti Sprinters at the time (still have that wheelset you can see hanging from the hook in the background). This picture shows a different pair of clincher wheels that I laced up probably in 1993 using Campy Chorus hubs, DT spokes and Mavic MA40 rims. San Marco Rolls saddle with titanium rails. I retrofitted bar-end shifters, as that was my preference in the days before shifting was incorporated into the brake levers. It's still in impeccable condition. Suppose I'll have it forever, as I just can't let it go. I still ride it occasionally.

Bridgestone RADAC 3100

Steve
Likes For stellarpod:
Old 10-25-20, 10:06 PM
jamesj

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL, 2006 Paul Frank Cruiser, 1987 Specialized Street Stomper, 1980 Trek 412, 1979 Raleigh Sport,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 25 Posts
I picked this 1994 Bridgestone XO4 a couple of months ago. In the process of getting it taken apart the threads in the drive side crank arm stripped, finally today me and my neighbor were able to get it off. Now I can get it on the road. It seems like all the parts are here, just need to true the rear wheel get some tires and new cables to get it on the road. Need to replace the bottom bracket and crankset since it is junk now. It seems all the parts are lower end for the time so I might replace the crankset with something a bit more up on the scale. The original was a Shimano Atlus C-50 any suggestions of what to get instead?

Old 10-25-20, 10:38 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesj
...Need to replace the bottom bracket and crankset since it is junk now. It seems all the parts are lower end for the time so I might replace the crankset with something a bit more up on the scale. The original was a Shimano Atlus C-50 any suggestions of what to get instead?
Pretty much any square taper triple (if that’s what you still want) would be nice. Late 80’s, early 90’s Shimano Deore would be nice. Definitely something silver.
Old 10-26-20, 06:09 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaindave
Pretty much any square taper triple (if that’s what you still want) would be nice. Late 80’s, early 90’s Shimano Deore would be nice. Definitely something silver.
Agree with this, also plenty of old Sugino cranksets out there, would not look out-of-place on that classy Bridgestone.
Old 10-26-20, 06:29 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesj
I picked this 1994 Bridgestone XO4 a couple of months ago. In the process of getting it taken apart the threads in the drive side crank arm stripped, finally today me and my neighbor were able to get it off. Now I can get it on the road. It seems like all the parts are here, just need to true the rear wheel get some tires and new cables to get it on the road. Need to replace the bottom bracket and crankset since it is junk now. It seems all the parts are lower end for the time so I might replace the crankset with something a bit more up on the scale. The original was a Shimano Atlus C-50 any suggestions of what to get instead?

If you want new, then look at a Sora Triple.
If you want older, then search for a Deore triple(there are many variations of Deore, all are fine) or search for a Sakae/SR or Sugino triple. I have multiple Sakae/SR triple cranks in my garage and most of of equal finish and weight, even though they are listed as different models. Just find one with the tooth count you want, or at least with a couple rings of teeth that you want and are in good condition, then buy a ring if needed to finish it off.
Old 10-26-20, 01:28 PM
matic

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have a '94 RB-T with a missing front badge. anyone know where i can get a replacement?
Old 11-01-20, 02:40 PM
sworley

Bikes: 2021 Kona Woo, 2015 Surly Karate Monkey, 2006 Bianchi San Jose, 2006 Bianchi Pista, 1994 Kona Humuhumunukunukuapua’a, 1989 Bianchi Campione d' Italia, 1985 Trek 720, 1980 Cook Brothers 3-bar Cruiser

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
My 1992 XO-1, 55cm.

Last edited by StanSeven; 11-01-20 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Remove ad
Likes For sworley:
Old 11-18-20, 08:05 PM
lcarc
Member since 2007

Bikes: Bridgestone MB-1, Raleigh International, Ibis Szazbo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by matic
i have a '94 RB-T with a missing front badge. anyone know where i can get a replacement?
Try eBay? Occasionally they show up. Or use a decal?
Old 11-19-20, 10:46 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by sworley
My 1992 XO-1, 55cm.
I wish these came in one size larger. With that color it would be the perfect bike. Hang on to it!
Old 11-19-20, 08:15 PM
vascoboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Bridgestone Grand Velo 2000

Old 11-20-20, 11:31 PM
mieklein

Bikes: Klein Mantra, '98 Klein Pulse Comp, '97 GT LTS-3, '93 Bridgestone MB-4, Gary Fisher Utopia, RIP 2011 Trek Gary Fisher Edition Kaitai (Stolen Twice!)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
1993? Bridgestone MB-4

I just purchased a 1993 MB-4. I didn't think the MB-4 came with front suspension until 1994. This one has a RockShox Quadra 21R but all other components match the 1993 specs. Does anyone know if this is stock or if the front suspension was added later? I have lots of plans for this bike and have ordered all of the parts to rebuild. Would love to chat with anyone interested in these bikes. It will not "allow" me to post a picture of the bike because I do not have the required number of posts..........
Old 11-20-20, 11:53 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by mieklein
I just purchased a 1993 MB-4. I didn't think the MB-4 came with front suspension until 1994. This one has a RockShox Quadra 21R but all other components match the 1993 specs. Does anyone know if this is stock or if the front suspension was added later? I have lots of plans for this bike and have ordered all of the parts to rebuild. Would love to chat with anyone interested in these bikes. It will not "allow" me to post a picture of the bike because I do not have the required number of posts..........
Nope. That's aftermarket:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bridges...3/pages/40.htm
Old 11-20-20, 11:56 PM
mieklein

Bikes: Klein Mantra, '98 Klein Pulse Comp, '97 GT LTS-3, '93 Bridgestone MB-4, Gary Fisher Utopia, RIP 2011 Trek Gary Fisher Edition Kaitai (Stolen Twice!)

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Nope. That's aftermarket:
I was trying to message you. Love what you did with the red MB-4. I cannot PM you because I do not have enough posts...
Likes For mieklein:
Old 11-21-20, 09:33 AM
mieklein

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
1993 Bridgestone MB-4

Ok, I am finally able to post pictures. Here is the 1993 Bridgestone MB-4. I have since learned that the RockShox Quadra fork is not stock. Although the color combination looks amazing. Not sure if I would have purchased with the stock non-suspension fork. I have ordered all of the replacement components and should be able to begin my restoration next week. I am very excited about how it will look when it is done.
Likes For mieklein:
Old 11-21-20, 11:15 AM
Brian44t

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX3, 2021 Motobecane UNO OUTCAST PRO, Surly Steamroller Fixed Gear, Raleigh 3 Speed Lightweight Custom

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I

Bridgestone 450

I sold this over the summer.
Old 11-27-20, 06:42 PM
Kuupola

Bikes: Bridgestone Submariner, Peugeot PH11 and PA10

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 8 Posts
Bridgestone Submariner

I have no idea what year this is. Decals were unfortunately not saveble, but I'm considering repainting the frame in the original style. I have taken off the headbadge and saved it. It never had any "Kabuki" branding on it as most of them seem to have. No decals on the downtube, there was "Bridgestone" written on the seat tube. It originally came with a drum brake, and also 130mm rear spacing.

Built as 1x10 with Sram 11-36t cassette, Stronglight 37t chainring on the original cranks. Chain is moved about by a Deore 9s with a Suntour blue friction shifter. The wheels are Giant PA-2 which I scored brand new from my lbs for 40€. Running tubeless!
Custom mudflaps made from old MTB tubes, on original fenders.

It is dark in from 4pm onwards here already:, wish it wasnå´t

Old 12-12-20, 09:07 PM
mieklein

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Cb-2

I found this blue CB-2 at my LBS today. It seems to be in decent shape but the handlebars are not stock. They want $400 for it which seems crazy....... I found this thread from 2017 discussing price. The consensus was around $150 which sounds correct to me. I would be willing to pay $200. Any thoughts? 2017 Thread on CB-2 Price

Blue CB-2
Old 12-14-20, 01:47 AM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
I found this blue CB-2 at my LBS today. It seems to be in decent shape but the handlebars are not stock. They want $400 for it which seems crazy....... I found this thread from 2017 discussing price. The consensus was around $150 which sounds correct to me. I would be willing to pay $200. Any thoughts?
You'd figure for that price they'd at least have the decency to put a grip on the right side.
Likes For adventurepdx:
Old 12-14-20, 08:18 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
I found this blue CB-2 at my LBS today. It seems to be in decent shape but the handlebars are not stock. They want $400 for it which seems crazy......
It is crazy. When we get used bikes, we at least clean them up, replace worn items and give it a full tune. The full tune alone is around $80, then start adding parts, cables, etc. Things like takeoff grips and spare parts help reduce costs, but I could see this being out out in the rack for $200-$250 easily at an LBS. However, I’d get yelled at and my beer privileges revoked for the day for calling that bike sellable.

On CL, I wouldn’t pay over $100 in its current shape. It doesn’t look like they’ve touched it.
Old 12-14-20, 11:25 AM
HMJ
Long time part timer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
1989 Bridgestone RB-3

Here's one I just finished about a week ago. It needed a good cleaning, new cables/housings and different tires (the ones that were on it were a bit too big for the rims). I also had to replace the bar tape which was the original Miami Vice era white vinyl that looked all of 30+ years old

Likes For HMJ:
Old 12-14-20, 11:40 AM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Kuupola
I have no idea what year this is. Decals were unfortunately not saveble, but I'm considering repainting the frame in the original style. I have taken off the headbadge and saved it. It never had any "Kabuki" branding on it as most of them seem to have. No decals on the downtube, there was "Bridgestone" written on the seat tube. It originally came with a drum brake, and also 130mm rear spacing.

Built as 1x10 with Sram 11-36t cassette, Stronglight 37t chainring on the original cranks. Chain is moved about by a Deore 9s with a Suntour blue friction shifter. The wheels are Giant PA-2 which I scored brand new from my lbs for 40€. Running tubeless!

This looks like a nice setup. It's a little hard to tell from the photo but is the front rack mounted to braze ons? The seatpost position looks a little odd (maybe backward, or nosed down?), but overall it looks like a good ride.

Having a good lighting setup would be important with so little natural light this time of year up there!
Old 12-21-20, 02:34 PM
Kuupola

Bikes: Bridgestone Submariner, Peugeot PH11 and PA10

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by billytwosheds
This looks like a nice setup. It's a little hard to tell from the photo but is the front rack mounted to braze ons? The seatpost position looks a little odd (maybe backward, or nosed down?), but overall it looks like a good ride.

Having a good lighting setup would be important with so little natural light this time of year up there!
Thank you!
The front rack is original to the bike, it is mounted to braze-ons. It has threaded holes in the side of the alloy crown of the fork and braze-ons on the fork legs.
The saddle is an Ideale 59 "Duralumin" with alloy rails, which has an odd saddle clamp design permitting very little horizontal adjustment. It feels good.
I unfortunately do not have the original front light to the bike, using a headtorch at the moment. I'm in the process of building a 12v lighting system utilizing the original taillight with 1.2w 12v led bulb and a custom front light using a GU5.3 5w led spotlight with an excellent uniform beam.
Likes For Kuupola:
Old 12-21-20, 03:11 PM
mattia76

Bikes: 1994 Bridgestone RB-T, 1987 Miyata 1000LT, Rivendell Sam Hillborne,

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 15 Posts

Picked up this 1992 RB-T this summer and it has been a DELIGHT. Replaced the calipers with Shimanos, the tires with some Schwalbe 32 Marathons, the stem with a Nitto Dirt Drop, and the drops with Moustaches from the 93 XO-1.
Read all about it here: PipesBikesandLeather.com
Likes For mattia76:
Old 12-21-20, 03:28 PM
Shp4man

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn World Sport. 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Kuupola

I have one of these, too. I kind of went a different direction with th build. It's a bit heavy, but it's a comfortable ride.
Likes For Shp4man:
Old 12-21-20, 08:58 PM
gravityhurts

Bikes: GT Pulse Track, 93 Bridgestone XO-1 & 93 RB-1, Ritchey Swiss Cross, Ritchey Road Logic, Yoshi Konno/3Rensho Specialized Allez, Cannondale Slate, Cannondale SuperSix EVO/Disc and Cannondale Hooligan

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 50 Posts
NOS 93/55cm Bridgestone XO-1

This unicorn sat quite for 27 years in a mom-n-pop bike shop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.