Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Touch up painting your oldie but goldie

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-09, 08:19 PM
metalchef87
Banned

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just curious, how many of us care enough to touch up the paint on our beauties...and what method do you prefer? I plan on going to get some nail polish tomorrow...or soon enough...to patch up the bad spots...
Old 10-13-09, 08:24 PM
old and new

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You really ought to search the threads on this as it arrises at least twice a week. I scrouge for auto touch-up paint, the Magic marker typr, not spray. A.parts stores are OK sometimes. I've found it at new car dealers, might be dif., I find it easy.
Old 10-13-09, 08:30 PM
metalchef87
Banned

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hard Rock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh...my bad I haven't seen this topic thus far...but I haven't really searched either...

can we delete the thread if it is a big deal?
Old 10-13-09, 08:34 PM
illenvillain

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
i was curious about this as well. i just an amazing frame and im looking to touch her up as much as i can
Old 10-13-09, 08:38 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Testors model paint.
Old 10-13-09, 08:53 PM
DavidW56

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Fat Guy
Testors model paint.
+1. I did extensive touch-up on a yellow '79 Schwinn Collegiate with an even more "vintage" bottle of Testors that was originally bought when I was a kid, painting model WWII warplanes. The price was painted on the cap --15 cents. The paint job was so-so, but it was better than the rust. You can see it if you zoom in on the top tube near the head tube:

Old 10-13-09, 09:18 PM
old and new

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by metalchef87
Oh...my bad I haven't seen this topic thus far...but I haven't really searched either...

can we delete the thread if it is a big deal?
No.. nothing bad, just that if you were come-up with little or needed more ideas, you've got more to read.

Anyway, I just see a man post Testors, I was teying to reacll that brand Name the oyjer day.. now THAT's were the price of a new post.
Old 10-13-09, 09:20 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 325 Posts
Touch up is not an automatic-- beware that you may end up reducing the value of your bicycle. Some bicycles are worth more if they're simply cleaned up and preserved without touch up. Most people don't have those kinds of bicycles though. Make sure what you have isn't rare or highly valuable.
Old 10-13-09, 09:26 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by SirMike1983
Touch up is not an automatic-- beware that you may end up reducing the value of your bicycle. Some bicycles are worth more if they're simply cleaned up and preserved without touch up. Most people don't have those kinds of bicycles though. Make sure what you have isn't rare or highly valuable.
Exactly. I will not touch up my Colnago, I use clear nail polish on it (easy to remove later). But I routinely touch up mid level and lower bikes (and I use Testors Enamel for it).
Old 10-13-09, 09:26 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,781 Posts
Ray Dobbins, who's pics are terrific, has a small article on how he prepares touch up paint to match as closely as possible. He uses Testors paint.

Scroll past the pics for his text.

https://www.raydobbins.com/pantografa...er_touchup.htm
Old 10-13-09, 09:28 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Heck, I won't touch up my Schwinn Varsity. It's just too cool the way it is, bare spots and all.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 10-13-09, 09:44 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
I would not use "nail polish" but there are many auto touch up paints that are great. Also, Testors comes in many colors and is my favorite. It does not have to match perfectly if it is a small spot. Put the Testors on with a small brush. Let it dry several days, maybe hit it with a polishing compound and then some Carrnuba wax and it will blend nicely.
Old 10-13-09, 10:37 PM
DavidW56

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Myself, I was flipping that yellow Schwinn, so it didn't need to be perfect, it just needed to have the bare spots covered where I removed the rust.
Old 10-13-09, 10:47 PM
sciencemonster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Testors comes in acryllic - polishes right off, so you don't have to worry about undo.

It comes in pens, too, for touching up pinstriping and decals. Again, if you screw it up or don't wnat to devalue your bike - it comes off really easy. On the bad side, you have to redo it every once in a while, especially if you clean your bike a lot.
Old 10-13-09, 10:47 PM
krems81 

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Mix your own. I buy auto paints and mix color to suit the frame. Take your time. Its tough to get it right, and you may need a few colors and iterations. Test in a subtle spot, and wipe off if it looks wrong. Don't try to change a given color too quickly, narrow in on the right shade gradually. It'll be rewarding. Its nice to finish up with a color you mixed that matches very nicely. It'll never be perfect, but if you can barely see it from 2-3 feet, mission accomplished.
Old 10-14-09, 09:20 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 325 Posts
Beware too that some of the automotive paints out there are hot solvent paints that will melt plastic or factory finish.
Old 10-14-09, 09:44 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I'm actually really glad this thread popped up...I have one scratch in my 07' JTS and a few spots on the raleigh professional in team livery, and thought they'd look better left alone. Glad to see others leave them a little rough too. If you;re bike is THAT perfect, it's not being ridden, and I like to ride my babies.

The only bike I don't ride is my three seat tandem schwinn...and that's only because it's hard to find two people who want to head out to the burbs to pick it up at my parent's garage. It's too large for my apartment.
Old 10-14-09, 05:08 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I use Testors, too, but try to get the pens if the store has the color I need. I do some rubbing with compound a few days later, to remove the excess paint and only have the paint in the scratched area.

A better way, depending on color, is to buy spray enamel, spray it into a cup, which creates a very thin, but fast-drying paint. I touch up with that, often with a q-tip. It takes several layers, but once dried, it's easier to rub down with compound, and less conspicuous. Then I apply a coat of wax. The better the frame, the more picky I'd be on the touchup.

Almost nothing in my stable would be hurt by a touchup job, value-wise. And a couple would actually increase in value if I got the decals and did it right, i.e. repaint.
Old 10-14-09, 07:10 PM
illwafer
)) <> ((

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i would say try it out or your least favorite bike and prepare to be disappointed. you will need to get a perfect match or it will look just as bad, only different.