Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best Car for Bike Owners?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best Car for Bike Owners?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-16, 07:23 PM
Herbie53

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Porschefan
No pix, but I just transported my bike in the Element for the first time. Folded passenger side rear seat up and out of the way (the rear seats "hang" on the side walls). Rolled my bike into hatch. Rear wheel touches the front passenger seat. Front wheel just barely touches the tailgate/hatch. I may add a bungee cord just in case, but bike seems to fit just about perfectly. Sweeet!

STP
Got an SC a couple of months ago. Luvin' it. Minus with the Element is they don't make them anymore. I had to wait awhile for a low milage one to come available and buy it quickly.

I have rented minivans for bike trips before getting an Element. They work well and my manhood survived.

PS - my bike is long enough that the seat and the center console capture the rear wheel like a bike rack... also use a bungee to the hold it to the side, but it's somewhat redundant

Last edited by Herbie53; 05-01-16 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-01-16, 07:35 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
Of course you didn't say that you don't need a minivan and don't expect ever to have any use for one, so it's unlikely you'd ever buy one.

Rather, you said you would NEVER EVER (emphatically) buy one and implied that would be true no matter how much needed space it had.

But everyone else is a hater and throwing the s***.

Hey, I asked what your reasoning is in case it was rational. But from your defensive reaction it would appear to be exactly as I expected. Lady doth, and such.
Why do you feel compelled to be a jerk? I said I would never never buy a minivan, I never said I hated them, reread...if you know how.
Old 05-01-16, 09:55 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I am the OP and politely ask that everyone chill.

feel free to start a minivan thread if you like but lets not debate minvan vs manhood, insult each others intelligence or question each others reading comprehension here.

Thanks.
Old 05-02-16, 05:19 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by T Stew
The Outback (if I heard correctly) is made in U.S. and has a nicer trim and feature list, which makes it a bit pricier than the similar but larger imported Forester. What is odd to me is there seems no mpg hit with the larger Forester so you're getting the extra space not only at no cost to you, but cheaper overall too. At the same time though it looks more station-wagonish while the Outback looked a bit more sporty. I remember my folks dismissing both since they looked like old station wagons . Some people get way too hung up on looks. I've been following the local craigslist for many weeks now getting a feel for Outbacks and Foresters and there are a couple I may go see myself. As long as you prefer automatic transmission there are quite a few around here. Manual selection is very slim, but I'm holding out. My brief research has shown that they suffer from the previously mentioned head gasket problem, as well as timing belt problem, and maybe 1 other thing I can't recall atm. But even if the fixes haven't been done it is something I wouldn't mind doing myself.
For 2016, the Outback is a little longer and wider than the Forester, but it gets better gas mileage. It also costs more.
Old 05-02-16, 11:34 AM
Steepndeep

Bikes: too many bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I find myself in the market for a new car. Need to pick something up fairly soon.

Would be interested in hearing what you like and dislike about your vehicle in terms of bikes.

I usually carry only one bike. Was thinking used Toyota Venza or Honda CRV.

-Tim-
Tim, I have a CRV. Works great and gets excellent gas mileage-over 30 on hwy. I can rack multiple bikes in rear cargo area just be dropping the seats and removing front wheels. I prefer this to having them on the rood or on hitch rack. Simply set up cross bar from roof rack w/ fork mts on them in cargo area, reverse mounted[front of bike at rear of car]. You'll still have a good amount of room in back for gear. Obviously the rear seat needs to be down. Great car!
Old 05-02-16, 05:20 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
I'm soon to be in the market for a new car. I am looking at Subaru Impreza. Bike stowage is an important aspect, but as a driving enthusiast, I fear the lack of power in most of the cars available today. Also I'm hunting within a 250 mile radius and still can't find a manual to test drive in any manufacturer's small hatchback before ordering exactly what I want.

I'm still not sure how it's going to go stepping out of a Jetta 1.8 turbo into a weak no torque 150 hp NA 4 banger.

I work in the automotive manufacturing field so I get discount on most manufacturers with Subaru and Chevy being the best. Since a 90% discount on Chevy would still be overpriced for that manufacturer, I guess Subaru it will be.
Old 05-02-16, 06:55 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Originally Posted by Road Fan
For 2016, the Outback is a little longer and wider than the Forester, but it gets better gas mileage. It also costs more.
The Outback has 35.5 feet of cargo space (which does not include the seat space) vs 31.5 for the Forester.
Old 05-03-16, 10:59 AM
Porschefan

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 4.3, 1989 Schwinn Circuit, 2010 Yeti ASR 5, '80 Vitus 979 (being refurb'd)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodgers
I'm soon to be in the market for a new car. I am looking at Subaru Impreza. Bike stowage is an important aspect, but as a driving enthusiast, I fear the lack of power in most of the cars available today. Also I'm hunting within a 250 mile radius and still can't find a manual to test drive in any manufacturer's small hatchback before ordering exactly what I want.

I'm still not sure how it's going to go stepping out of a Jetta 1.8 turbo into a weak no torque 150 hp NA 4 banger.

I work in the automotive manufacturing field so I get discount on most manufacturers with Subaru and Chevy being the best. Since a 90% discount on Chevy would still be overpriced for that manufacturer, I guess Subaru it will be.
I hear you. I'd been using my '89 944 as bike-hauler, grocery getter and because I liked the handling (it wasn't particularly powerful). When I decided to reconfigure my "fleet" I sold a garage-queen 928 S4 (never drove it--too "nice" and @ 12 MPG, city a totally impractical vehicle. Bought a friend's low-mileage Cayman for fun and found an Element for bikes, etc. I love the Element's practicality. It's surprisingly peppy, but @ 166 HP, nothing to get excited about. I'm thinking about upgrading/tweaking the suspension a bit, but let's face it, it's a toaster on wheels and just can't be driven very aggressively. But, I still have two cars, which is one more than I really want at this stage of my life. I did consider a Porsche Cayenne (used) and that has some appeal. They are astonishingly fast (S, or Turbo models) and handling is almost unbelievable for such a heavy/large vehicle. And they have off-road capability second to none. Downside on those is initial cost, although all Porsches depreciate like a rock falling off a cliff and there are bargains to be found, and they ever-worrying potential repair bills=$$$$$.

RE the Element, Car & Driver's initial review when the car was intro'd in 2003 said: "What you get if you cross a Hummer with a Mini-Cooper." There's some truth in that!

In your case, maybe a WRX STI and put a bike rack on it? That'll get you where you want to go in a hurry!

STP
Old 05-03-16, 11:14 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I hear you. I'd been using my '89 944 as bike-hauler, grocery getter and because I liked the handling (it wasn't particularly powerful). When I decided to reconfigure my "fleet" I sold a garage-queen 928 S4 (never drove it--too "nice" and @ 12 MPG, city a totally impractical vehicle. Bought a friend's low-mileage Cayman for fun and found an Element for bikes, etc. I love the Element's practicality. It's surprisingly peppy, but @ 166 HP, nothing to get excited about. I'm thinking about upgrading/tweaking the suspension a bit, but let's face it, it's a toaster on wheels and just can't be driven very aggressively. But, I still have two cars, which is one more than I really want at this stage of my life. I did consider a Porsche Cayenne (used) and that has some appeal. They are astonishingly fast (S, or Turbo models) and handling is almost unbelievable for such a heavy/large vehicle. And they have off-road capability second to none. Downside on those is initial cost, although all Porsches depreciate like a rock falling off a cliff and there are bargains to be found, and they ever-worrying potential repair bills=$$$$$.

RE the Element, Car & Driver's initial review when the car was intro'd in 2003 said: "What you get if you cross a Hummer with a Mini-Cooper." There's some truth in that!

In your case, maybe a WRX STI and put a bike rack on it? That'll get you where you want to go in a hurry!

STP
I would be all over a Cayenne S if I could trust the reliability...
Old 05-03-16, 11:27 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Manual trans is moving to the realm of high end sports cars. Even there they are harder to find. Maybe you could find a Focus with a 5-speed? I had a 2013 Focus for three years. Was peppy, nice stiff chassis and could rev but it went through two audio front ends, upper strut bearings and the door locks stopped working.

I drove a 2.0 Impreza Sport. Was a nice car but as you say, was underpowered. Price was right tho and I was on the fence for a while. The Impreza did everything well but nothing spectacularly and so I opted for the used Forester XT. Faster than it deserves to be.

Old 05-03-16, 11:53 AM
Porschefan

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 4.3, 1989 Schwinn Circuit, 2010 Yeti ASR 5, '80 Vitus 979 (being refurb'd)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I would be all over a Cayenne S if I could trust the reliability...
They're pretty reliable, just have the potential to be expensive when something needs to be replaced/repaired. My Porsche mechanic let me test-drive a Cayenne Turbo when I was thinking about them--stupid fast and unbelievable handling.

STP
Old 05-03-16, 03:01 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
They're pretty reliable, just have the potential to be expensive when something needs to be replaced/repaired. My Porsche mechanic let me test-drive a Cayenne Turbo when I was thinking about them--stupid fast and unbelievable handling.

STP
Don't put ideas in my head... AG might kill you.

I did do some googling after that post and I do see you're right, and they depreciate rather nicely after a few years. Be a lot nicer than a 4Runner...
Old 05-03-16, 03:15 PM
Porschefan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Don't put ideas in my head... AG might kill you.

I did do some googling after that post and I do see you're right, and they depreciate rather nicely after a few years. Be a lot nicer than a 4Runner...
Yes. "There is no substitute...." (Says the guy with an Element!)

STP
Old 05-03-16, 05:44 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by porschefan
they're pretty reliable, just have the potential to be expensive when something needs to be replaced/repaired. My porsche mechanic let me test-drive a cayenne turbo when i was thinking about them--stupid fast and unbelievable handling, for an suv.

Stp
fify
Old 05-03-16, 06:12 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I am the OP and politely ask that everyone chill.

feel free to start a minivan thread if you like but lets not debate minvan vs manhood, insult each others intelligence or question each others reading comprehension here.

Thanks.
Thank you, sir.
Old 05-03-16, 06:14 PM
DrRobert

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know someone with a Honda Element he has stands to mount the front fork in that holds 2 bikes upright.

I have a CRV but this will probably be my next car.
Old 05-03-16, 06:34 PM
Bluechip

Bikes: Salsa Fargo Ti, Cannondale CAAD9, Carbonello Fixed Gear, Specialized Epic Disc

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I currently have a Honda Odyssey and it's great for multiple bike hauling but it's getting time to think about a new car. With the minivan I can put the bikes in or on top of the car. I am thinking about a station wagon so more than likely they will go on top. There is not a huge choice when it comes to wagons here in the US but there are a few choices. I am leaning towards the Volvo V60 but once I see the V90 in person I might be willing to upgrade. I wish Mazda would bring the 6 wagon to the US, then it would be an easy choice.
Old 05-03-16, 07:31 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts

STP
Not the STI, but I do want a WRX in a bad way right now. If only they still had the hatch.

But I'm in the middle of a divorce though, and child support plus spousal support and all, won't see a WRX or anything equivalent for quite some time. Tough to make it on around $6/hour after she gets her cut first.

I could go used, but around here unless you are looking for around 150,000 miles like what I need to replace, you may as well go the extra few thousand and have 0 miles with a full warranty.
Old 05-03-16, 07:35 PM
rekmeyata

Not the STI, but I do want a WRX in a bad way right now. If only they still had the hatch.

But I'm in the middle of a divorce though, and child support plus spousal support and all, won't see a WRX or anything equivalent for quite some time. Tough to make it on around $6/hour after she gets her cut first.

I could go used, but around here unless you are looking for around 150,000 miles like what I need to replace, you may as well go the extra few thousand and have 0 miles with a full warranty.

I'm not sure how you're going to afford any car on $6 an hour, heck just paying for rent, utilities, and food is going to be a huge struggle. I can't believe any judge in America is forcing anyone to live on $6 an hour, that's nearly impossible unless your living with your folks and they're paying for all the food and housing.
Old 05-03-16, 11:37 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I'd buy a minivan if it had a V-8 and RWD.

It'd have to be a little higher touch on the interior than this though (skip the intro):

Toyota and DG-Spec put a track version of a Sienna together that looks interesting:

Toyota shows track-ready and off-road Siennas at SEMA
Old 05-04-16, 04:57 AM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

It'd have to be a little higher touch on the interior than this though (skip the intro):

Toyota and DG-Spec put a track version of a Sienna together that looks interesting:

OK, if they made a minivan like that for the masses I would consider getting one. I've actually done donuts and slides with my kids and now my grandkids in the car...howbeit in large open parking lots since surface streets are never void of traffic and pedestrians not to mention unsafe and against the law, my grandkids beg me to do it now, and my oldest daughter, the mother of the grandkids, still loves to go with me when I do this stuff. They all sit in the car laughing away.
Old 05-04-16, 07:49 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

I don't understand drift.

Intentionally rotating a car doesn't makes sense to me.
Old 05-04-16, 08:07 AM
rekmeyata

I don't understand drift.

Intentionally rotating a car doesn't makes sense to me.
Drifting a rear wheel drive car is never faster on dry roads then a smooth maintaining traction type of turn, it's just fun to do. On gravel or dirt you have to drift because you don't have much traction anyways so drifting is more helpful. On dry pavement the only way to do a (hairpin) 180 is to get the rear end to slide around, trying to do that smoothly would be a lot slower, but that's probably the only circumstance except for hill climbing where if you didn't drift you would lose momentum which will slow you down too much, so drifting in hill climbing allows that momentum to continue and not bog you down forcing you slow down and speed up all the time.

Like I said, drifting and sliding on dry pavement is a load of fun, a little hard on tires but the fun is worth it. However drifting a front wheel drive car is necessary so as to induce oversteer by using the emergency brake lever.

Sometimes if you watch a NASCAR or INDY or Formula etc, races closely, especially the last 25 or so laps the drivers are going all out and you'll see them exiting turns and sliding out in a controlled manner of course ever so slightly, this is called slip angle.

There is a lot more to all of this but that's enough basic info for this.
Old 05-04-16, 08:52 AM
jtaylor996
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse 105, 2016 Salsa Pony Rustler X01

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Drifting a rear wheel drive car is never faster on dry roads then a smooth maintaining traction type of turn, it's just fun to do. On gravel or dirt you have to drift because you don't have much traction anyways so drifting is more helpful. On dry pavement the only way to do a (hairpin) 180 is to get the rear end to slide around, trying to do that smoothly would be a lot slower, but that's probably the only circumstance except for hill climbing where if you didn't drift you would lose momentum which will slow you down too much, so drifting in hill climbing allows that momentum to continue and not bog you down forcing you slow down and speed up all the time.

Like I said, drifting and sliding on dry pavement is a load of fun, a little hard on tires but the fun is worth it. However drifting a front wheel drive car is necessary so as to induce oversteer by using the emergency brake lever.

Sometimes if you watch a NASCAR or INDY or Formula etc, races closely, especially the last 25 or so laps the drivers are going all out and you'll see them exiting turns and sliding out in a controlled manner of course ever so slightly, this is called slip angle.

There is a lot more to all of this but that's enough basic info for this.
Slip angle is defined as the angle between the tires and the direction of travel. It happens in all turns, drifting or not. Without it cars would not be able to steer, in any conditions.

Going fast has to do with optimizing where you are on one of these charts:

Drifting is way off the far end of this chart, which is why it's slow.

The reason I'm saying this is that your definition (or at least the way you're phrasing it) seems to make it like slip angle is only something that happens when you're off the end of the above chart... which is not correct. When cars are sliding around, it's not called "slip angle" it's called "exceeding the maximum effective slip angle".
Old 05-04-16, 11:32 AM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Does anybody with a small SUV/crossover keep their bikes inside standing up? I have seen pictures of bicycles inside an CR-V, but I am wondering about other cars such as the CX-5, Tucson, etc.

If I cannot stand my bike up, I would just opt for a smaller hatchback and not an SUV.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.