Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Oxcart's 1984 Univega Sportour Project

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-16, 08:19 PM
oxcart2006

Bikes: 1984 Univega Sportour, 2007 Cannondale F3 Caffiene

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is going to be the landing space for my 1984 Univega Sportour. I was interested in looking for a classic bike to work on ever since I sold a Schwinn Traveler to my brother. As luck would have it, I found this Univega Sportour on Craigslist in Houston for right in my price range, and in my size! I am a 6'1 250-ish lb guy, so I am strongly in the Clydesdale category of riders. 7 hours round trip on a Saturday from San Antonio to Houston, and a few dollars later, I have a new C&V touring rig!

SITREP

The Good: Front cranks had been upgraded to a triple ring! New Saddle! 700C rims! It fits...kind of. Frame is a little taller than I'd like at 63cm, but I feel better with a bigger frame.

The Bad: Paint is as you would expect for a 32 year old bike. Tires are mis-matched. 23mm in the front, 28mm in the rear. Not a huge deal, just a minor annoyance. There is one cable housing in black, the rest in blue.

The Ugly: I haven't really gotten into the greasy bits yet. Seat post and stem came out fine, so maybe I'm in good shape!

Equipment

Handlebars: Unknown, but way, way too tiny for me at 39cm.
Stem: SR Custom 100mm. Seems like it's the stock unit.
Brake Levers: Weinmann.
Brakes: Dia Compe 400 side pivot. Not the stock units.
Saddle: Vitesse something-or-other. Modern.
Rims: Seller said they were the original Araya, but no markings anywhere.
Hubs: "Schwinn Approved" Made in France. I have no idea what's going on here. Front Hub has a Maillard QR.
Tires: Front: Schwalbe Lugano 700x23, Rear: Serfas Seca 700x28.
Derailleurs and Gears: Front: Cyclone Mk II Rear: Shimano 105. 6-spd rear (probably stock), triple front chainring.
Shifters: Shimano Z401, mounted to stem. Not original component, but seems like correct vintage.
Pedals: MKS Pedal No 1 (Original component?)

Planned Changes

- Replace too-narrow bars with Nitto B115 45cm bars. Learn to wrap handlebar tape.
- LIGHTS! Front and rear.
- Add 2nd water bottle cage.
- Add handlebar bag.
- Add new rims. I won a custom-built heavy duty wheelset back a few years ago, and I've been dying to use them. Rear spacing appears to be 128.5mm, so the modern 130 hubs should fit. Will need to find cassette that will work with existing shifting gear. Change out brake pads with new rims. QR skewers, Pitlock?
- Move stem shifters back to down tube.
- Brooks saddle.
- Deep toe clips, leather straps.
- Replace Weinmann brake levers with some period-correct Dia Compes.

Down the Road

-Complete tear down and repaint.

Full Gallery
Old 09-21-16, 08:34 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,801 Times in 2,285 Posts
Great find, and may I be the first to say...

PICS!

Originally Posted by oxcart2006
This is going to be the landing space for my 1984 Univega Sportour. I was interested in looking for a classic bike to work on ever since I sold a Schwinn Traveler to my brother. As luck would have it, I found this Univega Sportour on Craigslist in Houston for right in my price range, and in my size! I am a 6'1 250-ish lb guy, so I am strongly in the Clydesdale category of riders. 7 hours round trip on a Saturday from San Antonio to Houston, and a few dollars later, I have a new C&V touring rig!

SITREP

The Good: Front cranks had been upgraded to a triple ring! New Saddle! 700C rims! It fits...kind of. Frame is a little taller than I'd like at 63cm, but I feel better with a bigger frame.

The Bad: Paint is as you would expect for a 32 year old bike. Tires are mis-matched. 23mm in the front, 28mm in the rear. Not a huge deal, just a minor annoyance. There is one cable housing in black, the rest in blue.

The Ugly: I haven't really gotten into the greasy bits yet. Seat post and stem came out fine, so maybe I'm in good shape!

Equipment

Handlebars: Unknown, but way, way too tiny for me at 39cm.
Stem: SR Custom 100mm. Seems like it's the stock unit.
Brake Levers: Weinmann.
Brakes: Dia Compe 400 side pivot. Not the stock units.
Saddle: Vitesse something-or-other. Modern.
Rims: Seller said they were the original Araya, but no markings anywhere.
Hubs: "Schwinn Approved" Made in France. I have no idea what's going on here. Front Hub has a Maillard QR.
Tires: Front: Schwalbe Lugano 700x23, Rear: Serfas Seca 700x28.
Derailleurs and Gears: Front: Cyclone Mk II Rear: Shimano 105. 6-spd rear (probably stock), triple front chainring.
Shifters: Shimano Z401, mounted to stem. Not original component, but seems like correct vintage.
Pedals: MKS Pedal No 1 (Original component?)

Planned Changes

- Replace too-narrow bars with Nitto B115 45cm bars. Learn to wrap handlebar tape.
- LIGHTS! Front and rear.
- Add 2nd water bottle cage.
- Add handlebar bag.
- Add new rims. I won a custom-built heavy duty wheelset back a few years ago, and I've been dying to use them. Rear spacing appears to be 128.5mm, so the modern 130 hubs should fit. Will need to find cassette that will work with existing shifting gear. Change out brake pads with new rims. QR skewers, Pitlock?
- Move stem shifters back to down tube.
- Brooks saddle.
- Deep toe clips, leather straps.
- Replace Weinmann brake levers with some period-correct Dia Compes.

Down the Road

-Complete tear down and repaint.

Full Gallery
Old 09-21-16, 08:40 PM
shuru421

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 20 Posts
I recently did the same overhaul on a Univega myself which was for my girlfriend. She loves it, but I made SURE she loved it. The bike came out practically brand new. If I were you, Id do the same, overhaul EVERYTHING. Clean EVERYTHING. Wash the bike, get every stain off of it if you can. And if you have enough time, polish up the metal specs that are very damaged.

This of course if you REALLY like that bike. I wanted her to love the bike, and she does. I made sure.
Old 10-08-16, 02:46 PM
oxcart2006

Bikes: 1984 Univega Sportour, 2007 Cannondale F3 Caffiene

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update: -I unwrapped the handlebar and found out that the housing of one of the Weinmann levers was splayed open, and causing the lever to be off center. I wasn't planning on replacing the levers this early, but since I'm replacing the handlebars, I might as well.

-I ordered and received some Nitto B115 bars in 45cm size for $38 total. They feel SO much better than the narrow bars! Unfortunately, it makes me feel like I'm putting WAY too much weight on the front of my bike. I'm going to order a Nitto Technomic stem in 80mm to replace the 100mm and see how that works.

-Apparently it's nearly impossible to find a Technomic stem in 25.4 diameter. Also, expensive. Kind of rough for being on a budget, but maybe I'll find one on ebay.

-EBAY STEM SUCCESS(ish)! I found a stem that was close enough to the size I needed, and jumped on the Buy-It-Now price since other people were watching the auction. Nitto Technomic stem in 70mm, 25.4 diameter for $40 total. It's also better than the SR stem because it clamps under the bar instead of behind the bar. I think I learned that from Sheldon Brown somewhere along the line. It's not pristine, but I'm not looking for a perfect concourse build yet. Also, the expander wedge is smooth. Not like the ridges were worn down, but that it was made smooth. Hmm.

-Dia Compe 204 brake lever pair from Velo Orange finishes off the current "need to purchase" list. Maybe. It looks like I'll have to replace brake cables in order to install these. Seriously thinking about letting LBS take care of this, since I REALLY don't want to screw up the brakes.