Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Today I (v2):

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-16, 10:59 PM
Muffin Man
:)

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, Specialized Rockhopper, Norco Fluid FS1

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Soooo, it looks like I may be staying with my current gig.

I spoke with my current employer, who immediately offered to match the salary of the new position, but I told him that I would need more and wasn't interested in negotiating. He asked what it would take, and I told him that it would take a significant raise, a few grand cash in my pocket right now, and a plan to get me to a much higher salary in 3 years. He told me that he had to think about it for a few hours, and then summoned me to his office 15 minutes later with a very enthusiastic "yes", and with the usual spiel: he sees me being a central and core part of the team, and not to disclose this to other associates for fairness, and the like.

Wow.

Well, I do like my job and quality of life, it was mainly the money that I was chasing down with new employment. There are some bad sides to not accepting the new position and as such I haven't entirely made up my mind, but I'm fairly certain that I'm going to stay.

Woohoo!
Congrats!
Old 05-07-16, 12:06 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2639 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
thanks mayne.
Old 05-07-16, 07:54 AM
websterrr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's how it's done, nice work TMonk!
Old 05-07-16, 08:40 AM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
@TMonk, you are in chemistry of some sort, right? Basically everyone in almost every field should be demanding higher pay this year since we basically at full employment. The only exception being oil field worker. The reason I started looking for a new job is they didn't give me a raise at all this year, which is ridiculous when there are so many good options.
Old 05-07-16, 09:10 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Thanks guys!

@prooftheory, yes that's correct. I have expertise in a few analytical techniques and my responsibilities include measurement optimization, data interpretation and method development for our internal product team (QC), R&D teams, and outside customers (Analytical Services). Often times I run/prepare the samples myself if they're complex but I can often utilize lower level resources for that.
Old 05-07-16, 09:15 AM
johnnytheboy

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
iknowsomeofthosewords.jpg
Old 05-07-16, 09:39 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

haha. nerd alert for sure.
Old 05-07-16, 09:53 AM
rex615
canis lupus familiaris

Bikes: En plus one

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrats @TMonk, more money is always nice but confirmation of your value to the company is great.
Old 05-07-16, 10:41 AM
Huffandstuff

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The fastest way to get a raise is to quit, I've never been given a raise outside of quitting/threatening to quit come to think of it. I'm usually just given the we will talk in a couple months/company isn't doing all that well this year BS.

When I was younger, I tried to get a dollar raise and they wouldn't give me it so I quit and then the counter offered, I ended up walking away with 4/hour raise.
Old 05-07-16, 01:29 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It is tough to quit if you don't have another job lined up. It is important that you not be in a field where your employer is the only game in town or that you at least be willing and able to move. A lot of my colleagues have been getting screwed by the fact that they bought a house and couldn't take a job in another market. Who's going to give you a raise when they think they got you by the balls?
Old 05-07-16, 01:44 PM
SCK
Gold chains on everything

Bikes: Heavy Pedal Zephyr, '16 Mash Work, '14 Cinelli Parallax, C-Dale Synapse Disc

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finally got a chance to really put in some time on the bike today. I rode 32 miles under what appeared to be fairly threatening skies.
Old 05-07-16, 06:54 PM
thewilson 

Bikes: CAAD10/Wabi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Today I accidentally drove over my reynolds assault slg front wheel. It somehow, agains't all odds, seems ok? I'm taking it to a shop for confirmation.
For those of you wonder HOW I did that: I have a fork mounted bike tray for my car. I took the wheel off, put the bike up and got in ( like a ****ing idiot). I felt some resistance when starting going forward, but I was on a hill and I drive stick so I thought it was gravity fighting me so I went for it. That's when I realized what I had done. That said, it was a dirt drive way, and it had just rained so it was fairly soft ground. But still... My butt hurts so bad.
Old 05-07-16, 07:36 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by thewilson
Today I accidentally drove over my reynolds assault slg front wheel. It somehow, agains't all odds, seems ok? I'm taking it to a shop for confirmation.
For those of you wonder HOW I did that: I have a fork mounted bike tray for my car. I took the wheel off, put the bike up and got in ( like a ****ing idiot). I felt some resistance when starting going forward, but I was on a hill and I drive stick so I thought it was gravity fighting me so I went for it. That's when I realized what I had done. That said, it was a dirt drive way, and it had just rained so it was fairly soft ground. But still... My butt hurts so bad.
I sure hope it is ok. I have a set of Assault wheels and I will be curious to hear the outcome.
Old 05-07-16, 08:29 PM
Huffandstuff

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by prooftheory
Who's going to give you a raise when they think they got you by the balls?
No one is, I guess it depends what the market is/area you're in but treat it like poker and hope no one calls your bluff.

Disclaumer: I don't have kids or a mortgage.
Old 05-08-16, 10:27 AM
thewilson 

Bikes: CAAD10/Wabi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Oh my god, two mechanics have given my wheel a clean bill of health. Reynolds wheels 10/10 would HIGHLY recommend
Old 05-08-16, 10:51 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Thanks @rex615.

In regards to job stuff and marketability:

It certainly helps to have a relevant skill set that is very marketable and employable - @Huffandstuff you're an auto mechanic or in a related industry, correct? You will always have work. And @prooftheory IIRC you're a mathematician, which makes things a little more difficult. Depending on your background, maybe you could move into actuary role, scientific modeling, risk-mitigation or software programming role, which certainly have their markets. I have a close friend (tenorman that I play music with weekly) that is finishing up his PhD in applied math, and he gives me some perspective on the job market for all 'yall.

I have some expertise in a couple analytical chemistry techniques that will never go away (particularly ICP-MS), so I have that going for me. This was what led me to me recent job offer. What I'm most excited about in my current role is my managerial responsibilities, which I would lose in moving to the new big corporate company position.
Old 05-08-16, 11:36 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Today I am taking the geared carbon road bike to work. Not sure if I remember how to coast or that I want to.
Old 05-08-16, 11:53 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

well, that's easy, don't stop pedaling then!
Old 05-08-16, 12:17 PM
Cute Boy Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Soooo, it looks like I may be staying with my current gig.

I spoke with my current employer, who immediately offered to match the salary of the new position, but I told him that I would need more and wasn't interested in negotiating. He asked what it would take, and I told him that it would take a significant raise, a few grand cash in my pocket right now, and a plan to get me to a much higher salary in 3 years. He told me that he had to think about it for a few hours, and then summoned me to his office 15 minutes later with a very enthusiastic "yes", and with the usual spiel: he sees me being a central and core part of the team, and not to disclose this to other associates for fairness, and the like.

Woohoo!
Sounds more like he doesn't want you telling your workmates in case one of them finds out he's getting screwed. Or given how he accepted your demands so easy, in case you find out you're being screwed compared to the rest of them.

Form a union.
Old 05-08-16, 01:14 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
Today I am taking the geared carbon road bike to work. Not sure if I remember how to coast or that I want to.
https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespee...ing-coast.html
Old 05-08-16, 01:28 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by Cute Boy Horse
Sounds more like he doesn't want you telling your workmates in case one of them finds out he's getting screwed. Or given how he accepted your demands so easy, in case you find out you're being screwed compared to the rest of them.

Form a union.
Right that is a little devious, and it's actually illegal in CA to punish/prohibit workers form discussing salary. I know what my peers make because we tell each other. It's no surprise that I already was making more because I'm a high performer and I simply just work more. It also won't be a surprise to them when I stay that it was because I one upped the counter offer, I just won't disclose how much.

I like my job and now I like my pay so I'm not going to take any additional action. Once my three-year locked in raise is finished, I'll start looking for a new job again, unless anything drastic happens. My compensation is at worst commensurate with my experience, given my education and title.

Sorry If I'm coming off as combative - I just sense some bitterness and/or resentment in your post (not towards me, just in general) that I'm just not feeling right now.

Be happy for me damnit!!! He accepted my demands because I'm bad ass and worth it.

Last edited by TMonk; 05-08-16 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-08-16, 01:40 PM
AndjaVXC
VELO.MUERTO

Bikes: Charge EVO III, Cannondale CAAD8

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Today I woke up too late to ride to work, after not riding the last two days because I felt like poo, and I was really pissed off.
Old 05-08-16, 05:17 PM
Huffandstuff

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Put in 140+ fixed gear miles this weekend with a full camping load on it, my butts tired.
Old 05-08-16, 05:54 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Prepared a spreadsheet with my next bike that hopefully will get done before I reach the big seven oh seven weeks from now. Looks like it's going to come in at under $3500 with the use of some existing parts. It's gonna be the sweetest fixie ever.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 05-08-16, 06:31 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by Huffandstuff
Put in 140+ fixed gear miles this weekend with a full camping load on it, my butts tired.
ay caramba.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.