Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

First Ever Bike Packing - Gravel Bike Build Ideas

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-16, 04:10 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts

I'll admit I've only been camping once - I was 15 years old. I remember it because it was the weekend that Mt. St. Helen's exploded. I basically just showed up & went with my friend's parents. They did all the work.

I'm a native Oregonian and like being in the outdoors. I joke that I like to "visit" the outdoors but sleep in a nice soft bed - like in a hotel. Sort of tongue in cheek yet sort of true. I do love the outdoors and especially I love my state and the beautiful forests and mostly the abundance of trees and lush green.

Fast forward to today. Portland has the BTA - Bicycle Transportation Alliance and they have a FB group for women only. They're planning a beginner's bike packing overnight trip in April. East of Portland off I-84 there's the Lower Deschuttes River recreational area. You park there and they have hiking, horse and bike trails along an old rail line. You can camp along there. The prerequisite for the actual trip is a 2 hour class on what to bring, what to pack, etc. Will be at the Mountain Shop, which is a shop that sells & rents supplies for hiking, skiing, bike packing/camping. So I could just rent a nice, top of the line full squish mountain adventure bike....but where's the fun in that?!

Now to the point. I have a 1994 Trek 730 Multitrack that I bought with the generous help of @oddjob2. It's a 17" bike, sloping top tube, full chromoly main triangle, stays and fork with 700c wheels. I'd like to build it up for the possibility of doing some gravel stuff. I have never mountain biked or gravel biked, except for some very short (like 4 miles) trips up on Leif Erickson trial in Forest Park.

I've already overhauled the bike. It has a steel stem & 4" riser bars with poorly functioning grip shifters. My two handlebar options will be:

1. riser stem with straight bars (off a 1995 Trek 820) and newish grip shifters or friction thumb shifters.

2. Nitto dirt drop stem with Soma Portola drop bars with bar end friction shifters.

I have all the parts for this and don't want to spend any money since I don't know if I'll really do this long term. Just trying it out. It is a triple with 7 speed, and has 700x35 Vittoria Voyager Hyper (smooth) tires. So for gravel I'd need something with tread I presume? What kind? Schwalbe? Clement? Trying to be very low budget.

Handlebars setup? Which way should I go? Straight bars are wider but only 1 hand position. The dirt drop stem would get the bars way up high, thus closer to me. Portola bars are sort of like Midge bars with shallow reach/short drop & flare.

Bike has 2 spots for bottle cages and eyelets for racks in the rear.

I've looked on the forum and have gotten some really good ideas, but some folks build their bikes for actual racing, or endurance gravel riding and that might be overkill for what my modest initial ventures will be.

Thanks for any in put.
Old 03-08-16, 04:33 PM
icepick_trotsky 
Aspiring curmudgeon

Bikes: Guerciotti, Serotta, Gaulzetti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
There's gravel, and there's gravel, and there's gravel. The various grades and amount of packing can demand all kinds of different tires. Panaracer Gravel Kings are a great all purpose place to start, I think, but depending on your needs, those Vittorias might do just fine.

I'm always inclined to want multiple hand positions, but to each his (or her) own. I'd try the Midges.

What's wrong with that Straggler you just got? That seems perfect for this sort of thing.
Old 03-08-16, 04:37 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,474 Times in 2,079 Posts
I'm with icepick; the straggler sounds good to me. If you want to use the Trek, I'd opt for the drop bars and bar ends as I find that more comfortable for distance riding. For tires, I'd be tempted to go with the tire you have since you don't know if you'll do this again.
Old 03-08-16, 04:37 PM
Velocivixen

Yeah, no kidding right? Straggler is pristine & so want a bike that is purpose built and one that I don't have to "worry" about banging up. Maybe lower pressures on gravel would work. I'll find out more in the class. Thanks.
Old 03-08-16, 04:49 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
I think you need a whole new bike.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 03-08-16, 04:55 PM
Velocivixen

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
I think you need a whole new bike.
Why?
Old 03-08-16, 05:06 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 142 Posts
The Straggler should be great for this adventure.

I wouldn't be afraid to bang it around a bit.

That's why we buy these things.

As for tires, Gravel Kings are great. Clement MSOs are also great. Especially the 120tpi jobbers.

I wouldn't go out and buy a bunch of racks. See if someone you know has some Revelate bags, strap them on and you should be good to go.

What are you going to do about food and sleeping bags? How about water?

A lightweight tent of some sort?

If this ride is supported, I would carry as little as possible.
Old 03-08-16, 05:08 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
Why?
(Pssst... I'm enabling, just go with it!)
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 03-08-16, 05:27 PM
brownplus

Bikes: lynskey mt29, kona explosif 26", breezer jetstream oldschool, diamondback wcf vertex SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use the frame you have...I did, and never needed an "upfit"

I put these on my old breezer .....

Origin8 Bicycle Drop Bar Ends, Black

and with the wide straight bar, it's all I need....yup, also added a more upright stem and some kenda slant 6 tires....can pretty much go anywhere my mtb's can go. And at least you have a steel frame...that puts you more in the comfort zone already.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
smbreeze.jpg (85.2 KB, 97 views)
Old 03-08-16, 05:48 PM
Velocivixen

@gomango - The Mountain shop rents Revelate bags so I'd rent some. I would have to see about a tent & such as I have nothing in this regard. Good ideas though. I have a couple of heavy duty rear racks I could take off other bikes if I needed. Apparently mile 14 has "goats heads" but I think they come into season here in the fall. I'm not at all familiar with this part of Oregon actually. Never even seen a goats head. Mr. VV has a hydration back with a bladder in it for water. I would have 2 water bottles also.

This trip is on a trail that families actually ride with kids. Total trip length is 37 miles - that's out and back, so it's basically an overnight quick trip to get newbies familiar with it. Elevation gain is +1456 feet.

If you're interested here's a link to the Deschutes River Trail (lower) with photos.

Deschutes River Trail (Lower) Mountain Bike Trail, Wasco, Oregon

@Lascauxcaveman - OK, you got it!
@brownplus - that's a good looking bike!
Old 03-08-16, 05:55 PM
gomango

@gomango - The Mountain shop rents Revelate bags so I'd rent some. I would have to see about a tent & such as I have nothing in this regard. Good ideas though. I have a couple of heavy duty rear racks I could take off other bikes if I needed. Apparently mile 14 has "goats heads" but I think they come into season here in the fall. I'm not at all familiar with this part of Oregon actually. Never even seen a goats head. Mr. VV has a hydration back with a bladder in it for water. I would have 2 water bottles also.

This trip is on a trail that families actually ride with kids. Total trip length is 37 miles - that's out and back, so it's basically an overnight quick trip to get newbies familiar with it. Elevation gain is +1456 feet.

If you're interested here's a link to the Deschutes River Trail (lower) with photos.

Deschutes River Trail (Lower) Mountain Bike Trail, Wasco, Oregon

@Lascauxcaveman - OK, you got it!
@brownplus - that's a good looking bike!
If you use Revelates there will be no need to add the weight of the rack.

Sounds like the shop can set you up for a fantastic trip.

I've been doing this now for a few years, so if you need any additional help, please ask.

Also, here's a link for you to check out.

Bikepacking 101 - BIKEPACKING.com

One of my rigs.

IMG_3021 by gomango1849, on Flickr
Old 03-08-16, 05:57 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Before committing to a bike for the type of camper you are now, I'd suggest getting the camping part a little more refined. You will get better at the camping part with experience and may need less bike/packs as you refine your needs. I'd suggest the rental route until you are good at it and decide it is something you want to continue to do. Sorry for no fun answer.
Old 03-08-16, 06:08 PM
gomango

Originally Posted by Chrome Molly
Before committing to a bike for the type of camper you are now, I'd suggest getting the camping part a little more refined. You will get better at the camping part with experience and may need less bike/packs as you refine your needs. I'd suggest the rental route until you are good at it and decide it is something you want to continue to do. Sorry for no fun answer.
Good points.

No one ever reminded me to bring waterproof matches, rope, a lightweight tarp and a decent knife for example.

Learned the hard way.
Old 03-08-16, 06:20 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 90 Posts
Bear spray. LOTS of bear spray.
Old 03-08-16, 07:04 PM
Henry III
is just a real cool dude

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts
This totally reminds me of my step dad. He buys a brand new Ford Explorer but doesn't drive and then "has" to buy a beater Jeep Cherokee(by no means is it a beater either) so he doesn't rack up miles or scratch it. The Straggler would be the ultimate gravel bike as well...that's what it was designed for. Girls makes my head hurt. Lol.

If you just have to build up the Hybrid then basically look at your Straggler for ideas. Seriously. As for Goatheads...bring patches and tubes. I never had to deal with Goatheads this early in the year because everything is still soft and normally don't deal with them until summer when everything dries up and the thorns start falling. No matter what tire you use with flat protection it's going to go through. I kid you not as these things are like tacks. Slime tubes...thorn resistant tubes it didn't matter. I changed umpteen tires at the shop just because of goatheads. Our greenway was littered with them after they would weedwack the sides of the path and spread them everywhere. Not to mention if you use like super thorn resistant tires, tubes or lines then it just makes your bike ride like a turd and dead.
Old 03-08-16, 07:16 PM
gomango

VV- Check out these links for more ideas/info!!!

Boyz on the Hoods

Bikepacking and Bike Expedition - Mtbr.com

https://forums.mtbr.com/bikepacking-b...r-1002586.html

Last edited by gomango; 03-08-16 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-08-16, 07:18 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Mule.
Old 03-08-16, 07:31 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I would use some tires with tread. I rode a weeklong gravel tour with friends, one of whom had voyager hyper 32s on his bike, and he was not happy with them for that purpose. If you hit any mud, they are next to useless. We both ran Clement LAS 33s on the next trip and were very pleased with them. Another friend used Clement USH 40s and very pleased with them too.
Old 03-08-16, 07:37 PM
MeadMan2

Bikes: Mead Ranger '24- Armstrong 3sp '64 Follis 172 '74 Centurian Accordo 80's Mercian '85 Mark Zeh road '86 Kona Explosif '93 Merkx Ti AX '97 Santana Arriva tandem '99 Bike Friday tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts
It sounds as though the trail is crushed lime stone, not gravel. *700 by 28 or 30 should work fine. *If it is on an old rail line, it will be flat so don't worry about super low gears, just low enough to handle your camping gear. *I have been doing 5 day bike camping tours on Wisconsin bike trails, which are crushed lime stone, on my Gary Fisher hybrid (rigid fork). *At my age, the most important piece of camping gear is a comfortable mattress.
Old 03-08-16, 07:38 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 273 Posts
I love backpacking and camping (longest trip so far was 12 days in the Adirondacks), bikepacking sounds like a blast as well.

You have some great advice here and a great set of people and resources on tap at the shop. My $0.02 would be to focus on planning, focus on packing, but also focus on enjoying it. The main draw to this type of thing for me, and I assume most, is being able to disconnect from the day-to-day, keep things simple, and go for some adventure. Morning coffee over the fire after a night in the woods is the best coffee (bonus points if near a stream or lake, sounds of wildlife nearby, etc.).

Take your time and keep an eye out for interesting things.

A few more of my cents on packing:
Bringing everything you need and nothing you don't is an art & science - sounds like your shop will help there. Keep loads taut and where they're easy to carry - sounds like the shop should be of help there to. Rent as much as possible until you know what you like and what you don't. Try a few different inflatable sleeping pads or other crash pads to help the night stay comfortable as can be. I've never used inflatable pillows, but have heard good tings and I'd be tempted to add that little weight if going by bike. I'm guessing the group will discuss food and water, so not much to say there.

Re questions on bike gear:
Sounds like your current 35mm smooth tires should be fine. Bring something to address possible flats and a dollar bill or two for a boot if necessary (a torn sidewall can end a gravel ride quick - depends on the gravel, though I've been surprised in the past). Of the two bar options listed, I'd choose Portolas over the straight bars, though it's less of a factor on this length of ride (think of it as two 19mi rides). Build it up, then ride and post any thoughts/questions here.

Last edited by Sir_Name; 03-08-16 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-08-16, 08:00 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
My two handlebar options will be:

1. riser stem with straight bars (off a 1995 Trek 820) and newish grip shifters or friction thumb shifters.

2. Nitto dirt drop stem with Soma Portola drop bars with bar end friction shifters.

I have all the parts for this and don't want to spend any money since I don't know if I'll really do this long term. Just trying it out. It is a triple with 7 speed, and has 700x35 Vittoria Voyager Hyper (smooth) tires. So for gravel I'd need something with tread I presume? What kind? Schwalbe? Clement? Trying to be very low budget.
Well for me those tires and a Trek Multitrack sound just about right. If those pictures are representative, it looks like your basic gravel road, not some rutted single track trail. I've taken my Masi on far, far worse.... However, going to some fatter tires would give you an extra margin of control, and since it sounds like dirt riding is new to you, it may be a good idea to go fatter.

I'd go for the drop bars for more hand positions. Don't slam the stem though, it's important to be able to keep your weight back on downhills.

Flat bars are more for crazy single track rock hopping stuff IMO.
Old 03-08-16, 08:20 PM
Velocivixen

Wow, thanks guys! Also will check out the links. @Henry III - is absolutely correct. I saved and saved for my Straggler and it's set up for me, so I may be just spinning my wheels with this hybrid build.

I'll call ahead to the Shop or visit in a few days to speak in real life. The only thing I've committed to thus far, is taking the bike packing class at the Mountain shop. It's women only so I also hope to connect with others who could maybe show me the ropes. I don't know if the shop rents tents, etc., so that will be the difference whether I do the trip or not.
Old 03-08-16, 08:28 PM
gomango

Wow, thanks guys! Also will check out the links. @Henry III - is absolutely correct. I saved and saved for my Straggler and it's set up for me, so I may be just spinning my wheels with this hybrid build.

I'll call ahead to the Shop or visit in a few days to speak in real life. The only thing I've committed to thus far, is taking the bike packing class at the Mountain shop. It's women only so I also hope to connect with others who could maybe show me the ropes. I don't know if the shop rents tents, etc., so that will be the difference whether I do the trip or not.
Renting a lightweight tent is a great plan. Make sure you can fit your other bags in there if rain is on its way.

Nothing worse than waking up with wet gear.

Btw I bought a $400 tent on CL for peanuts.
Old 03-08-16, 08:35 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 273 Posts
I meant to add: if you end up doing the trip, bring a tarp just big enough to fit under the footprint of the tent to keep moisture from seeping through and into your stuff (even if it doesn't rain). Hope it works out!
Old 03-08-16, 08:54 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I saved and saved for my Straggler and it's set up for me, so I may be just spinning my wheels with this hybrid build.
Oh, I didn't notice that in your bike list. Yeah, geez, take that. It's perfect. Why would you ride something else if you have that?

IMO your time is better spent concentrating on getting some basic camping gear. Also might be a good time to practice riding on dirt. It does take practice. The rear brake suddenly becomes more important than the front

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.