Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Track Bikes and the Culture of Exclusion

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Track Bikes and the Culture of Exclusion

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-06, 12:28 PM
pjay
atom smasher

Bikes: univega fixie road convo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Live in a small town-- nobody will give a ***** about your track bike. But they will look at you funny cause you roll up your pants.
Old 02-17-06, 12:35 PM
brunop
hell's angels h/q e3st ny

Bikes: surly steamroller, independent fabrication titanium club racer, iro jamie roy--44/16, independent fabrication steel crown jewel--47/17, surly karate. monkey (rohloff speed hub), unicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 46x17
Ink you have a point, but it is only half the story.

Skill will always be more important than a pretty bike. The guy kicking ass on a Pista will always be way cooler and more "in" than the guy who can barely ride his NJS rig down the hill and nobody will ever get mocked for long if they ride hard even if it's a "crappy conversion". It is your actions a lot more than your possessions that make you who you are and how people view you.
at the risk of repeatin' myself:
we all talk about how "skilled" and ***** ya have to be to be ridin' fixed and all--well ya know what? it ain't really that hard--skiddin', trackstands, skippin', etc. it's just ****in' NOT. as athletic skills go, i repeat, it's just NOT THAT HARD!! it's way fun fo' sho', WAY fun, but don't kid yerselfs that you're doin' anything extraordinary. it's just ridin' bikes. little kids do it every day fer chrissakes!
Old 02-17-06, 12:39 PM
samal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess that's a benefit to living in a small town, I haven't seen any other fixies around (the guys at the lbs used to ride them, but don't anymore). I don't have any of that snobbery or competition. I only see it on BFFG, but it really amuses me... makes me smile
Old 02-17-06, 12:59 PM
mattface 

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-T, Soma Rush, Razesa Racer, ⅔ of a 1983 Holdsworth Professional, Nishiki Riviera Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 10 Posts
I live in a small town too. Maybe that's why I don't roll my pants...
Old 02-17-06, 01:21 PM
ostro
hang up your boots

Bikes: 84 Pinarello, Trek Liquid 30, Torker CX 24, Gromada Track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brunop
at the risk of repeatin' myself:
we all talk about how "skilled" and ***** ya have to be to be ridin' fixed and all--well ya know what? it ain't really that hard--skiddin', trackstands, skippin', etc. it's just ****in' NOT. as athletic skills go, i repeat, it's just NOT THAT HARD!! it's way fun fo' sho', WAY fun, but don't kid yerselfs that you're doin' anything extraordinary. it's just ridin' bikes. little kids do it every day fer chrissakes!
There is skill involved, but the skill is not exclusive to fixed, the skill is being an attentive rider and knowing how to handle a situtation. Vechicular cycling is not something the kiddies are doing. Fixed or not, if you arent skilled enough or athletically fit, your a$$ will get run over and you will be walking your bike up that hill, and your a$$ will be too sweaty to walk into the office after measly 3mile commute. Anyone can ride a bike and anyone can spell, some just do it poorly!
Old 02-17-06, 02:00 PM
Matthew A Brown
this bike is an aqueduct

Bikes: Villin custom touring, Medici Pro Pista, KHS Alite1000, Windsor fixed commuter

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I wonder if there's a similar thread on the Z Cavaricci board.
Old 02-17-06, 04:10 PM
nicomachus

Bikes: n+1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 5 Posts
Ink1373,

I think you have something interesting to say, to add to this community, and I think you said it rather well. I really appreciate when cyclists and people on this forum take the time to write well about cycling. It shows of level of respect and commitment to the cycling community to take the time to meditate on a topic like this -- and then guts to share it with the rest of us.

The responses that just say "chill out man, you're thinking too hard" hit me as a little empty. I'm not real sure why or what really they're supposed to mean. But I don't think it's a bad thing to think (even to think a lot) about bikes.

Thanks for writing.
Old 02-17-06, 04:16 PM
spud
i am sure that i hate you

Bikes: 'Cha-ruzu Fosuta Orusan Kein' Fuji Track (2005), Schwinn Tank MTB (?), Fuji Royale (1979)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think a few of us are offended at the generalization that people with track bikes hold exclusive attitudes.
Of Proposition 187
Old 02-17-06, 05:17 PM
Ready to Ruck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to say that the majority of people with track bikes is exclusive in my immediate environment. Track bikes are blowin' up big not as big as SF) but all the shop owners are either really supportive (if they ride fixed) or they sneer at the hipsters, and innocent kids like me. The fixie riders that I see on the street aren't so cool but they warm up to you after spending a couple hours in a pit with them at a show.
Old 02-17-06, 07:05 PM
ink1373
nothing: lasts forever

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
i think that a big part of my point is being over simplified into "better bike = better person"

it's probably my fault.

i just want to clarify that i'm more concerned about what riding track bikes is doing to the accessibility of cycling culture. i'm concerned that the current obsession with brakeless, uncomfortable, fast bikes is repelling a lot of people away from biking period.

i fear that newcomers who try riding fixed, and then find that they need negative rise on their stem and no brakes to really feel comfortable with their peers, will then walk away from bikes altogether. also, i feel bad about all those who want to give it a try, and are intimidated out of it by...well...us.

savvy?

i rode track bikes hard for a few years, loved it, spent tons of money, worried about what parts i needed next, and i'm now finding that i really have more fun on a commuter style bike (still fixed). the whole thing is just too easy to get caught up in.
Old 02-17-06, 07:07 PM
ink1373

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
we are the youth culture of cycling right now. we hold all the sway in the world.
Old 02-17-06, 07:11 PM
rithem
Foward Leaning Attitude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ink1373
i think that a big part of my point is being over simplified into "better bike = better person"

it's probably my fault.

i just want to clarify that i'm more concerned about what riding track bikes is doing to the accessibility of cycling culture. i'm concerned that the current obsession with brakeless, uncomfortable, fast bikes is repelling a lot of people away from biking period.

i fear that newcomers who try riding fixed, and then find that they need negative rise on their stem and no brakes to really feel comfortable with their peers, will then walk away from bikes altogether. also, i feel bad about all those who want to give it a try, and are intimidated out of it by...well...us.

savvy?

i rode track bikes hard for a few years, loved it, spent tons of money, worried about what parts i needed next, and i'm now finding that i really have more fun on a commuter style bike (still fixed). the whole thing is just too easy to get caught up in.
We should save cycling ... it's doomed. BEWARE.
Old 02-17-06, 07:15 PM
rithem
Foward Leaning Attitude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly I don't see this in my little bubble ... which includes Boston, NYC and Chicago to a lesser extent ... just people riding bikes. I don't know, most people I know ride more than just track bikes with deep drops and NJS cert. components. Everything has it's place and time.
Old 02-17-06, 07:26 PM
Chopper
Scallywag Behaviour

Bikes: none

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Said it before, and I'll say it again.

Townies are the new fixed.

Out is the new in.

Where I end, and you begin.
Old 02-17-06, 07:29 PM
Matthew A Brown
this bike is an aqueduct

Bikes: Villin custom touring, Medici Pro Pista, KHS Alite1000, Windsor fixed commuter

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Big Converted Air Frame
Old 02-17-06, 07:30 PM
Matthew A Brown
this bike is an aqueduct

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
****ing non capslock bastards
Old 02-17-06, 07:31 PM
Matthew A Brown
this bike is an aqueduct

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thread is done anyway.
Old 02-17-06, 07:36 PM
ink1373

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matthew A Brown
Thread is done anyway.
agreed.
Old 02-17-06, 07:38 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Good points. I agree with everything everybody said. (How is that for non-confrontational and extremely agreeable!). By the way, bikes are good.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 02-17-06, 07:44 PM
rithem
Foward Leaning Attitude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NO now it's done.
Old 02-17-06, 07:46 PM
spud
i am sure that i hate you

Bikes: 'Cha-ruzu Fosuta Orusan Kein' Fuji Track (2005), Schwinn Tank MTB (?), Fuji Royale (1979)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah i think you give us way too much credit, look at how popular the Tour de France has become. people don't stay home or go to bars to watch a bunch of city kids race in an alleycat.
Of Proposition 187
Old 02-17-06, 07:59 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i'm concerned that the current obsession with brakeless, uncomfortable, fast bikes is repelling a lot of people away from biking period.

I think I understand what you're getting at, I don't honestly think there's much to worry about on that front. People who get into activities for the wrong reasons usually give up anyway.

Music is a great example of this. Lots of cool kids buy guitars, drumsets, etc... hoping to start the next hip band only to find that it takes practice and commitment to play an instrument. Sure, having a guitar that's set up correctly, intonated, etc... will help it sound better and be easier to play, but you still have to put in the time. I'm not great guitar player by any stretch. I also don't give a damn what anyone else thinks of my playing. If I did I would have given up a long time ago.

I think the hipness factor has put people on bikes that wouldn't be caught dead on them two years ago. If those people give up, I won't feel responsible. It just means they never saw beyond the trendiness and realized what an amazing part of life riding a bike can be, and didn't take the next logical step of finding a bike and a style of riding that works for them if fixed doesn't.
Old 02-18-06, 12:12 AM
stendhalian
summer vacation since '85

Bikes: vitali alu road frame conversion, debernardi track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bikes rule!
Old 02-18-06, 01:03 AM
iBarna

Bikes: A great one!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A bike is a thing and nothing more, a tool that you use to do or think whatever you want. There is no one way to view a bike, and it's even more difficult to find the "right" way of seeing the bicycle.

For instance, ink, while your post has a lot of good points....

The bicycle should be the ultimate symbol of proletarian survival
See, even you try to tell others what bikes "should be". In a sense there's not much difference between your statement and a fixie rider who feels that bikes "should be" ridden without brakes. To me biking has nothing do to with the proletariat or survival. And if someone thinks I'm lame or I don't go all the way because I ride a SS (in fact I'm building a geared bike right now), I don't really care...
Old 02-18-06, 01:05 AM
Serendipper 
(((Fully Awake)))

Location: ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper

Bikes: Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The scenesters judged me harshly until they saw how hard I ride. Everyday. No matter the weather. Messengers and track stars give me much respect now that they see me ride. I earn my respect through riding. The dope ass bikes I ride are just the icing on the proverbial cake.

無上甚深微妙法 .... 百千萬劫難遭遇..... 我今見聞得受持

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.