Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Torque sensing pedal assist

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Torque sensing pedal assist

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-20, 08:01 AM
danh123

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
OMB Barrett - finally coming over to the dark side?
You're looking for a "torque sensing" rather than cadence sensing system. Are you looking to build a bike, or are you looking for something off the shelf.

Personally I just use a throttle because I like the precision of them (and I run low power). Since you are an acomplished biker, you might be happy with a low power assist for hills where it is basically an on/off system. The trick with ebikes is that they get heavy quickly - which has to be ballanced out with the hill climbing advantages...
So can you just slide the throttle to around 25% and get that much assist when you pedal? I always thought when people used throttle, they didn't pedal at all but maybe I was wrong and there is another way to use the throttle...

I am looking into the gear needed to build an ebike and have been planning on using the tsdz2 so far.
Old 06-04-20, 08:05 AM
danh123

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
David Hall of Eco Cycles was great to deal with. He answered all of my pre-purchase questions in impressive detail, and went above and beyond to resolve some issues with my order. Working with Eco Cycles was one of the best vendor experiences that I've had in a long time.
I've been talking to him also, after reading this thread, and agree he is very helpful. I will be ordering from him once I get the details worked out.
Old 06-04-20, 08:11 AM
danh123

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
For anyone interested in this subject, Ron (aka spinning magnets) has written an execlent in depth article on the TSDZ2
I would highly recommend it if you want to do in depth.

TSDZ2, mini 750W mid-drive with torque sensing:
https://www.electricbike.com/tsdz2-7...orque-sensing/

The Bafang units have been around the longest, but this unit is close on its heals. Anything newer I would be a little wary of. Bafang gets a lot of the attention because it is big and potentially powerful (i.e. there isn't much point in pedaling at some of those power levels). But this unit looks great for people who actually want to pedal, and want the bike to feel like a bicycle rather than a moped.

I love a lightweight build that rides like a bicycle. Been riding my 25lb 25mph ebike for the better part of a decade now.
Can you explain more what you mean about the q-factor? By adding this motor, the pedals will be spaced wider away from the center of the bike? Are they off-center with one pedal further away?

Also, can you give details on your 25/25/25 ebike? Have a picture?
Old 06-04-20, 08:14 AM
danh123

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by browngw
We recently purchased a pair of 2019 Giant Lafree city bikes with mid drive Yamaha motors. They are a combo of up to six sensors in full auto mode. The five programmable levels are based in percent of your effort and can add up to 300%. It measures speed toque cadence slope and other factors to give a very realistic feel. I'm enjoying the bike a lot! On longer trips, I ride 50 to150 assist and can get about 100km (62miles) on a charge. Mid drive works great because we get to use the 8speed derailleur to its full extent. Based on riding mine another friend just bought a Giant Explore at $2700 CAD. The 250 W motor has all the power you would want and uses power sparingly. For health reasons my wife had mostly stopped riding with the group. She's back and enjoying it. Could not be happier with the riding experience. We tried some no-name specials and were disappointed. The Giant does not have a throttle.
Sounds great. 62 miles on a charge is amazing! Is it mostly flat riding??
Old 06-04-20, 09:56 AM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by danh123
Sounds great. 62 miles on a charge is amazing! Is it mostly flat riding??
Along Lake Erie where we live there is a mix of flat and rolling hills. Speed also plays a factor and these bikes are most efficient around 24km/h (15mph ) My wife is in her seventies and had some health problems recently. These bikes make it fun and easy for her to still enjoy a good ride.
Old 06-04-20, 10:04 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Can you explain more what you mean about the q-factor? By adding this motor, the pedals will be spaced wider away from the center of the bike? Are they off-center with one pedal further away?

"Q" factor is the distance between the crankarms; I don't know about the TS, but with BBS02 the difference between the left arm and its chainstay and the right and its chainstay differs by 10 - 15 mm (haven't measured in awhile so forget the exact amount). This can be rectified with Lekkie crankarms which eliminate the disparity.
Old 06-04-20, 10:54 AM
danh123

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by browngw
Along Lake Erie where we live there is a mix of flat and rolling hills. Speed also plays a factor and these bikes are most efficient around 24km/h (15mph ) My wife is in her seventies and had some health problems recently. These bikes make it fun and easy for her to still enjoy a good ride.
That's great. Thanks for the response.
Old 06-04-20, 10:55 AM
danh123

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
"Q" factor is the distance between the crankarms; I don't know about the TS, but with BBS02 the difference between the left arm and its chainstay and the right and its chainstay differs by 10 - 15 mm (haven't measured in awhile so forget the exact amount). This can be rectified with Lekkie crankarms which eliminate the disparity.
Is it noticeable if you left it with the 10-15mm difference?
Old 06-04-20, 11:02 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Some individuals claim it caused a problem with their "pedaling mechanics", but didn't bother me. However, I'm OCD about symmetry, so procured the Lekkies.
Old 06-04-20, 03:44 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts

I used a small hub motor and a 4lb battery - so it feels like a bike and is great even without power. The motors are kinda small to do anything much on their own, but as they double the output from my legs, it makes a nice hybrid. Given that I can do about 20mph on my own, with the motor I do about 25mph. Fast commuter.

For the road bike, I basically just use it at full throttle to get that extra top end (since there is no adjustable throttle for a drop bar). With my flat bar mountain bikes, I can adjust the power - but these motors are kinda small to run at part throttle. Keep in mind that for anything except the smallest motors - if you are using full throttle, the peddling is just for show - it doesn't really add much to the speed or range (unless you are using PAS or part throttle). A 500-1000 watt motor is going to be a LOT stronger than you are, and adding 100 watts by pedaling isn't gonna make too much difference at that power level.

https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-...road-bike.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-...ums-first.html
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...hp?f=3&t=49691
Likes For chas58:
Old 06-04-20, 09:38 PM
danh123

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I used a small hub motor and a 4lb battery - so it feels like a bike and is great even without power. The motors are kinda small to do anything much on their own, but as they double the output from my legs, it makes a nice hybrid. Given that I can do about 20mph on my own, with the motor I do about 25mph. Fast commuter.

For the road bike, I basically just use it at full throttle to get that extra top end (since there is no adjustable throttle for a drop bar). With my flat bar mountain bikes, I can adjust the power - but these motors are kinda small to run at part throttle. Keep in mind that for anything except the smallest motors - if you are using full throttle, the peddling is just for show - it doesn't really add much to the speed or range (unless you are using PAS or part throttle). A 500-1000 watt motor is going to be a LOT stronger than you are, and adding 100 watts by pedaling isn't gonna make too much difference at that power level.

https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-...road-bike.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-...ums-first.html
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...hp?f=3&t=49691
Nice road bike, I am planning to use one of my road bikes also for my ebike. Is that a single speed though?
Old 06-05-20, 01:04 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I found that torque-sensing to me provides more of an incentive to put the effort in myself. I add more, and the motor adds more. Feels so natural.
With a cadence system, I’m far more likely to simply plod along. No extra payoff from extra effort.
For a more utility-minded ride, no big deal. But for me, if I want to keep the variation of effort of an unassisted ride, I get closer to that with a torque sensing system.
Likes For dabac:
Old 06-05-20, 02:32 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Nice road bike, I am planning to use one of my road bikes also for my ebike. Is that a single speed though?
Yeah, making a road bike is hard. You can't really do an adjustable throttle, and the dropouts tend to be really small. At least with a single speed, there is a beefy dropout - and I don't need to shift with a motor anyway.
Had to modify the motor a little to get it to work with a single speed - its a little easier with a 7 or 8 speed cassette on a hub motor.

But if I didn't want a light bike for a flat commute, that torque sensing tsdz2 looks like the way to go. They had a few teething issues when it was first released, but its fairly mature now. Its going to be a little smaller than a Bafang BBS02.
Old 06-05-20, 07:33 PM
danh123

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, making a road bike is hard. You can't really do an adjustable throttle, and the dropouts tend to be really small. At least with a single speed, there is a beefy dropout - and I don't need to shift with a motor anyway.
Had to modify the motor a little to get it to work with a single speed - its a little easier with a 7 or 8 speed cassette on a hub motor.

But if I didn't want a light bike for a flat commute, that torque sensing tsdz2 looks like the way to go. They had a few teething issues when it was first released, but its fairly mature now. Its going to be a little smaller than a Bafang BBS02.
That's what I'm planning to go wtih.
Old 09-11-20, 09:40 AM
danh123

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
The TSDZ2 package I installed on my wife's bike is working very well. I recommend it highly for performance and value.
The TSDZ2 is nice. I am still working out some kinks. Is the sensor on the rear wheel required? I disconnected mine and gave a quick ride and it seemed fine. I had an issue with my display and system turning off during my ride. Hoping by disconnecting the sensor that issue will go away.

Old 09-11-20, 11:40 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Nice videos. I do believe the rear sensor is necessary, but only because of an experience my wife had: She was getting no power at all from the motor. A quick look showed that the sensor magnet had moved a bit. When I pushed it back to the right position, the motor acted normally. Perhaps if it's disconnected, the controller goes into some sort of fall-back mode. I'm sure you'll have fun, like I did, routing all of the wires cleanly.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 07-29-21, 08:25 AM
sysrq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
The TSDZ2 is nice. I am still working out some kinks. Is the sensor on the rear wheel required? I disconnected mine and gave a quick ride and it seemed fine. I had an issue with my display and system turning off during my ride. Hoping by disconnecting the sensor that issue will go away.

https://youtu.be/kABZTr-hlEs
https://youtu.be/eNP450qGIL0
How steep are the hills. Mine 36V struggles with a 36t granny gear on long 6% hills with the current fluctuating between 10A and 15A which is maxed out @ 11km/h. It was able to climb really short 23% hills on a 28t granny at 16km/h once, but now it seems a bit weaker. Have to worry about demagnetizing the magnets due to bad thermal management. Did some modification using Panasonic graphite sheets and copper foil with thermal pads. Now the outer shell becomes warmer. No temperature sensor since if one wants to do it properly it needs to be glued directly on the windings.