Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Show us your Gravel Grinder

Old 03-14-15, 01:32 PM
ND Kid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Recent build. Me Likes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0340.jpg (99.6 KB, 667 views)
Old 03-14-15, 04:28 PM
hup

Bikes: '04 Serotta CIII, '01 Lemond Poprad, mid 90s Burley Rock N Roll Tandem, Old School Specialized HardRock, '15 GT Grade alloy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New alloy Grade. It was a total ebay "no way it'll go for this little" buy.
Took a spin for an hour this morning. There's some dialing in to do, but that's part of the fun.

Old 03-17-15, 12:14 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 314 Post(s)
Quoted: 1832 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 89 Posts
I put some 26x1.95" Happy Mediums on the Long Haul Trucker for an assault on Forest Park this weekend.

It didn't see much gravel until we got to Firelane 10, but this was just a test ride with this configuration before a planned trip to ride the Great Allegheny Passage and C & O Canal Towpath later this spring.
Old 03-17-15, 12:28 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4524 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
I put some 26x1.95" Happy Mediums on the Long Haul Trucker for an assault on Forest Park this weekend.

It didn't see much gravel until we got to Firelane 10, but this was just a test ride with this configuration before a planned trip to ride the Great Allegheny Passage and C & O Canal Towpath later this spring.
Nice!!! I used to ride Leif Erickson on my Trek 400 with CX tires on it. DT shifting was kinda sketchy at times, but still a great bike for FP.

You ever consider a Camelbak?
Old 03-17-15, 01:08 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
Nice!!! I used to ride Leif Erickson on my Trek 400 with CX tires on it. DT shifting was kinda sketchy at times, but still a great bike for FP.
Yeah, I usually take my Major Jake with 700x35 file tread tires out on Leif Erickson. The shifter location with the Gevenalle levers is better than the bar ends, but this setup really didn't give me a lot of problems. The biggest issue I had was that the descent on firelane 10 wore out my brake pads. We had to cancel some other planned side trips.

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
You ever consider a Camelbak?
You mean because of all the filth on my water bottles? That was kind of gross actually. I have a Camelbak but I rarely use it. Usually I can find a clean spot somewhere on my gloves or jersey to wipe off the nozzle of the water bottle, but not so this week.

Otherwise, the Revelate bag provides plenty of storage and as an unintended bonus feature it does a pretty good job of holding the water bottles in place.
Old 03-17-15, 02:09 PM
justin1138

Bikes: yes...

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ordinarily I wouldn't offer this one up as a "gravel grinder", but when the pavement ends sometimes you just keep going, even on 25's. good times...

for the locals, this is Still Creek Road which connects off of HWY 26 in Rhododendron.
Old 03-17-15, 02:25 PM
09box

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good stuff! Some of the best gravel grinder stories are from riding a non grinder!
Old 03-20-15, 01:29 PM
madjohn608

Bikes: Domane 5.9, Tamland 2, Stache 8, 907, 520, 1990 Trek 2100, and more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Tamland 2. Swapped out the crank for a 46/36, put a different cassette on and a Selle Anatomica X saddle. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with how this came.
Attached Images
Tamland.jpg (102.9 KB, 689 views)
Old 03-20-15, 06:39 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by justin1138 View Post
for the locals, this is Still Creek Road which connects off of HWY 26 in Rhododendron.
That looks awesome! How much of Still Creek Road is gravel? What's the climb like?
Old 03-20-15, 08:12 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by madjohn608 View Post
My Tamland 2. Swapped out the crank for a 46/36, put a different cassette on and a Selle Anatomica X saddle. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with how this came.
How do you like the Tamland so far?
Old 03-21-15, 07:52 AM
justin1138

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That looks awesome! How much of Still Creek Road is gravel? What's the climb like?
The pavement ended about 2-3 miles in from the 26, and from there I rode around 7 miles or so of gravel. I had originally intended to ride up to Trillium Lake (11 miles one way), but I wasn't expecting the gravel and I didn't want to push my luck. I wouldn't be surprised if the gravel continued right up to Trillium. There appears to be enough roads around there that a decent sized ride could be made. After this experience, I'm inclined to think they would lean towards the less improved side too. Further exploration is on the books, but with a more appropriate tool.

The climb itself wasn't difficult, but it was steady. I was handling it well with a 53/39 and 11-28, and I'm definitely not the fastest/strongest climber out there. A little lower gearing would have been nice though.

I also hear there's a good network of logging roads accessible from HWY 30 just passed the Wildwood Golf Course.
Old 03-21-15, 09:21 AM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want gravel, go out to Tillamook Forest. TONS of it out there and on the weekend, there is a bunch of it that's gated off and nobody is out there. I used to ride a dual sport motorcycle out there all the time and so much of it is un-passable due to the gates, but I checked with the logging company and they don't care if you use it with non-motorized vehicles. Bring your triple though. Steep grades. Want a really fun ride, Google Beaver Slide road. I'm not sure you'd get up it on a bicycle, but it's a fun decent and it hooks up with the abandoned railroad and there are a lot of tunnels you can explore on that track. Fun adventure.
Old 03-21-15, 10:20 AM
madjohn608

Bikes: Domane 5.9, Tamland 2, Stache 8, 907, 520, 1990 Trek 2100, and more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm loving it. Some friends are dragging me into rides this year like the Almanzo and Dairy Roubaix so I was looking for a new ride that would be good for those. I never thought of Raliegh but read a review by Guitar Ted and a few weeks later a LBS had a great price so I went for it. It has become my favorite commuter and general bomb around towner. Made the modifications so it would be more suitable for the gravel rides (that 52 chain ring made no sense to me). A friend I ride with has one too. He also loves his. One thing I really don't like is the considerable toe overlap. That is a problem on a 54 however my friend has a 56 and he doesn't have to problem. Ride one if you get the chance!
Originally Posted by cs1 View Post
How do you like the Tamland so far?
Old 03-21-15, 11:34 AM
Henry III 
is just a real cool dude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picked this up as a 93 C'dale H400 hybrid frame for 20 bucks and then built up the rest. Converted some old Campy 126 Record hubs to 135 with new chromoly axle and swapped skewer rod from a 135 skewer to the Campy skewer. Looks completely stock but very low dish now and stronger then it was before. Then laced them up to Sun CR18 700c rims and DT swiss db spokes. It's a fun comfy bike and not too worried if it was jacked unlike some of my other bikes. Only beef is if I"m not careful I strike my heels on the Tektro CR720 since they stick out more then the original cantilevers. With clipless pedals I wouldn't have an issue but since I use MKS urban platforms and clips. If I don't have my feet fully inserted into the clips then I brush the brake arms.

It's also fairly light as the way it sits at about 26 lbs bags and all. Without the bags it was just a little over 20 lbs. Also there's room to toss some meatier rubber on it but the 30mm Strada Bianci's are plush yet fast so I'll ride these until the threads show. I believe these originally came with 38 Avocet cross tires stock from the factory

Old 03-21-15, 01:41 PM
justin1138

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by knobster View Post
If you want gravel, go out to Tillamook Forest. TONS of it out there and on the weekend, there is a bunch of it that's gated off and nobody is out there. I used to ride a dual sport motorcycle out there all the time and so much of it is un-passable due to the gates, but I checked with the logging company and they don't care if you use it with non-motorized vehicles. Bring your triple though. Steep grades. Want a really fun ride, Google Beaver Slide road. I'm not sure you'd get up it on a bicycle, but it's a fun decent and it hooks up with the abandoned railroad and there are a lot of tunnels you can explore on that track. Fun adventure.
Awesome! Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-21-15, 01:44 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by knobster View Post
Sounds pretty good. I've got some friends who live out by some logging land in Washougal. I went out there and rode with them last month and it was great. Some of it was better suited to a mountain bike than a gravel bike but nearly endless empty roads.
Old 03-22-15, 06:25 PM
corwin1968

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

Now, that's what I'm talking about!!! Love it!
Old 03-25-15, 08:39 AM
BensonFlyer

Bikes: 1991 Trek 2300, 1993 Trek 930, 2014 All-City Space Horse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OMG I cannot stop staring at this bike! Very, very nice. *high five*

I'm going out with the Space Horse this evening for her first true gravel run. It's about 28 degrees here in Nebraska, over cast, very wet, so PERFECT conditions!

Man she's gorgeous.......
Old 03-27-15, 07:18 AM
bruised

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Sette Razzo Carbon 29er

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New baby at home...picked up Monday night, less than 100 miles so far. I was hoping to ride over to the Ahnapee State (gravel) Trail early morning today but woke up to more snow!

I don't mind snow but I dislike the transition from winter to spring, when you really can't plan anything 'cos the forecasters really don't have a clue what's coming our way...

Old 03-27-15, 08:54 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 152 Posts
This is my home built multipurpose bike. I have clearance for much larger tires should the need arise. The mountain bike gearing really paid off when I rode CO two years ago. As a flatlander, I appreciated having it.

Old 03-29-15, 10:00 AM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 6469 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Here's mine:

1983 Trek 620
700c wheel conversion
moustache bars
Everything else is pretty much stock.

Plans for it include
Albatross or Soma Oxford bars
Bar end shifters
7 speed freewheel
Front bag that sits lower

Last edited by dgodave; 03-29-15 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-29-15, 11:55 AM
nocluejimbo

Bikes: All-City Nature Boy, Space Horse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All City Nature Boy - Pedal Room
Old 03-29-15, 12:16 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 535 Times in 392 Posts
One of the things I love about this thread, in addition to the really cool new gravel bikes coming out, are all the "home brewed" gravel bikes. This is a great way to repurpose an old steel bike that has reasonable tire clearance.
Old 03-29-15, 06:21 PM
okie1kenobi

Bikes: '80 Bianchi Nuovo Racing, '98 3Rensho Track, '94 Yeti Ultimate, '98 Yeti Road Project, '80s Gianni Motta, '98 Klein Mantra Comp

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
One of the things I love about this thread, in addition to the really cool new gravel bikes coming out, are all the "home brewed" gravel bikes. This is a great way to repurpose an old steel bike that has reasonable tire clearance.
Speaking of "home brew" here's an old bike that I've had since the 80's that's slightly too small for me, threw on some old bomb proof wheels and 32c knobby tires, got them to fit by crimping the chainstays slightly and dremeling the drop outs so the wheel slides back further, enough clearance for 32c now. Installed a cheap Sunrace 13-28 freewheel, Spd pedals, and bombed some local trails this weekend, performed like a champ and very chuckable with it being small.

Total cost $17 for the freewheel and now something that would get use again.

Old 03-29-15, 07:31 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 535 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by okie1kenobi View Post
Speaking of "home brew" here's an old bike that I've had since the 80's that's slightly too small for me, threw on some old bomb proof wheels and 32c knobby tires, got them to fit by crimping the chainstays slightly and dremeling the drop outs so the wheel slides back further, enough clearance for 32c now. Installed a cheap Sunrace 13-28 freewheel, Spd pedals, and bombed some local trails this weekend, performed like a champ and very chuckable with it being small.

Total cost $17 for the freewheel and now something that would get use again.

That's a pretty bike to use as a gravel grinder. I'm impressed you got 700 x 32c tires to work. I'm using a vintage mtb as mine; all I did was add some trekking bars:

Attached Images
IMG_0754.jpg (64.1 KB, 324 views)
IMG_0069.jpg (95.9 KB, 1620 views)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.