Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

What Else Did You Just Buy For Your Bike? Thread Thread Thread..... Thread

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

What Else Did You Just Buy For Your Bike? Thread Thread Thread..... Thread

Old 04-10-15, 01:04 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
A cat jersey.

A garmin/go pro combo mount:

And the Two Fish bottle mount because it's getting warm in the desert and my seat post mount looks ridiculous.

Old 04-10-15, 01:20 PM
T13

Bikes: '84 Basso Pista, Masi Heinz '57 SS beater. Couple Stingrays...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by North Coast Joe
No, had to google it, but that place is on the list NOW!

Mebbe I can talk her into a poodle skirt and saddleshoes....seems like that look would fly big there! Her dressed thusly, riding up on her wickered townie SS....it was all good in the 50's.

Thanks for the tip!

Yeah, kitchyness aside, it's pretty cool. Really good hot chocolate too.
Old 04-11-15, 07:40 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
From Retrogression: Nitto riser, headset, stem shim, grips and brake lever to finally complete my 80's Bianchi SS/FG conversion. Looking forward to it!
Old 04-12-15, 08:08 AM
nocluejimbo

Bikes: All-City Nature Boy, Space Horse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picked up some lock-on grips and levers so I can throw a Salsa Salt Flat Carbon on the Nature Boy. Just need to run new brake lines.
Old 04-15-15, 08:14 AM
Tahoe41

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys Im new to this forum and new to biking in general. I recently bought an Opus Belcanto SS off of craigslist to be my first "real" bike. I also bought some small stuff for it: a little emergency pump that works decent, an under saddle bag, and a new riser handle bar and grips because I didn't like the handle bar the previous owner had on the bike.
The new stuff, nothing special:

the bike before:

handle bars on backwards...

bike after:

Now the only problem is the brake lever doesn't fit on the new bar somehow and the brake cable is too short to place the lever near the grip. I think I can solve both by getting a properly sized lever but getting a right lever instead of a left, but if that doesn't work how hard is it to install a longer brake cable?
Old 04-15-15, 08:52 AM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
You might be able to get the current brake cable to work by removing some of those spacers and lowering your stem (and ultimately cutting down the steerer a bit).

Not sure about your height - maybe you need all of those, but it does seem a bit excessive.

Old 04-15-15, 09:00 AM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
First pair of clipless kicks

Old 04-15-15, 09:11 AM
T13

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
You might be able to get the current brake cable to work by removing some of those spacers and lowering your stem (and ultimately cutting down the steerer a bit).

Not sure about your height - maybe you need all of those, but it does seem a bit excessive.

Do most people on here just not cut their steerer because of resale or what? I notice that alot. I'd go insane with that amount of steerer/spacers sticking out. Or is it compensating for a slightly too small bike? I'd flip that stem too. That way always looks like a "comfort bike" to me...
Old 04-15-15, 09:11 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by franswa

If they weren't lace-ups I would be all over those.
Old 04-15-15, 09:27 AM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by franswa

Chainlove had a similar pair of Giros from their new road collection marked down from $150 to $50 yesterday and I would have bought them had they not been too small.

Originally Posted by 50voltphantom
I highly recommend giving laces a shot. I have two pair of the giro empires - a road set and a mtb set, both are awesome. Easily my favorite cycling shoe.

Originally Posted by T13
Do most people on here just not cut their steerer because of resale or what? I notice that alot. I'd go insane with that amount of steerer/spacers sticking out. Or is it compensating for a slightly too small bike? I'd flip that stem too. That way always looks like a "comfort bike" to me...
I hear ya! Both of my road bikes are slammed, my fixed has 20mm of spacers, and my mtb has 30mm. I usually give it a few months of riding when I get a new bike and adjust things accordingly. I do think a lot of it is for resale...others are afraid to make the cut. I'm sure others have fit issues, but that opus has about 6" of spacer stack, you could definitely cut that down a bit.

Old 04-15-15, 10:31 AM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
i never understood that resale mentality on anything except maybe a car.

idunno about you guys but when i buy a bike im thinking about how it fits and rides, how much its gonna be worth selling it to someone else never crosses my mind

i buy my bikes because i want them, not because i want to sell them to other people. im not a bike shop.
Old 04-15-15, 10:37 AM
franswa

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom

I'm confident they will be a substantial upgrade from my slip-on Vans.
Old 04-15-15, 10:50 AM
Tahoe41

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is how the bike was set up when I bought it. Im fairly tall 6'2" with long arms and legs and the guy I bought it from was the same height as me maybe slightly taller. I think Im going to ride the bike for a while before making any major changes to see how it feels. Right now I would rather ride more upright, that may change as I ride more though.
Old 04-15-15, 10:59 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by Tahoe41
This is how the bike was set up when I bought it. Im fairly tall 6'2" with long arms and legs and the guy I bought it from was the same height as me maybe slightly taller. I think Im going to ride the bike for a while before making any major changes to see how it feels. Right now I would rather ride more upright, that may change as I ride more though.
You need to realize that a lot of the peeps on this forum are more concerned with form than function, and post their bikes in the expectation of getting a lot of love. I always leave extra uncut steerer tube on my bikes until I've put hundreds of miles on them, and get my riding position fully dialed in. After that, I typically leave at least a 5mm spacer on top of stem and below the top cap. I don't get a lot of love here from the cool crowd, but enjoy riding my bikes a lot.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 04-15-15, 11:02 AM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Also, people who change their bars out at all regularly are not going to want a slammed stem and cut steerer.
Old 04-15-15, 11:12 AM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
You need to realize that a lot of the peeps on this forum are more concerned with form than function, and post their bikes in the expectation of getting a lot of love. I always leave extra uncut steerer tube on my bikes until I've put hundreds of miles on them, and get my riding position fully dialed in. After that, I typically leave at least a 5mm spacer on top of stem and below the top cap. I don't get a lot of love here from the cool crowd, but enjoy riding my bikes a lot.
I don't mean to be an ass here, but I usually buy bikes that fit me, so form equals function. Between the stem and the spacers on that Opus, there seems to be close to six inches of extra steerer tube there. Obviously, ride the bike and get acquainted with the ride and what fits best, but if the owner really need those six inches, perhaps they should have purchased a different bike. A 5mm spacer on top of the stem is one thing, 80mm below it and another 30mm on top of it is a bit excessive no matter how you try to rationalize it.

Edit to add: in no way am I suggesting the guy slam his stem, he said the brake cable was too short, and I just suggested that he could most likely move his stem down some to accommodate the brake cable.

Last edited by SpeshulEd; 04-15-15 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-15-15, 11:20 AM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Edit to add: in no way am I suggesting the guy slam his stem, he said the brake cable was too short, and I just suggested that he could most likely move his stem down some to accommodate the brake cable.
There were two separate questions. 1. Why does that guy have so much steerer? 2. Why do dudes have so much steerer showing? TT was responding to the second one. You were responding to the first one. It's all good.
Old 04-15-15, 11:24 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

How about just buying a longer brake cable and housing ? Do you adjust the bike to fit your parts or to fit you ?

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 04-15-15, 11:35 AM
T13

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't mean to be an ass here, but I usually buy bikes that fit me, so form equals function. Between the stem and the spacers on that Opus, there seems to be close to six inches of extra steerer tube there. Obviously, ride the bike and get acquainted with the ride and what fits best, but if the owner really need those six inches, perhaps they should have purchased a different bike. A 5mm spacer on top of the stem is one thing, 80mm below it and another 30mm on top of it is a bit excessive no matter how you try to rationalize it.

I agree with this too. And I'm sorry if I kinda derailed his question. I just always wondered why no one ever cuts their steerer down "to fit". I usually get my bikes in my size too, but there have been times in the past where i compensated with seat post/stem length etc etc because i found a "good deal" and needed/wanted a bike. I like a happy medium with form and function, I'm not 100% on one side or the other, honestly.

Also, I can't imagine needing "100's of miles" to get my bike dialed in.

Mumonkan: Yeah, I don't get the "resale mentality" either. With anything really. Tube amps, guitars, bikes, etc etc, if I want it, I want it to keep it. Seems weird when people talk about resale value, especially when they just got something. Shows no connection to anything. Weird and robotic, to me.

Last edited by T13; 04-15-15 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-15-15, 11:50 AM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
How about just buying a longer brake cable and housing ? Do you adjust the bike to fit your parts or to fit you ?
I wouldn't call a bike with 80mm's of stack below the stem a bike that fits. Honestly, it doesn't look like that steerer has been cut at all and is still sitting stock from the factory.

Old 04-15-15, 11:55 AM
Bernd Kraut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've bought a bit stuff for my fixie, but haven't installed it yet. (Maybe I wait until the current chain and sprocket wears out and change them then on.)

Old 04-15-15, 11:59 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

I wouldn't call a bike with 80mm's of stack below the stem a bike that fits. Honestly, it doesn't look like that steerer has been cut at all and is still sitting stock from the factory.
I guess I'm not seeing the same photos you are, but I don't see nearly 8cm of spacers there, maybe half that. Anyways, the bars are level with the saddle, which is not unreasonable for a relaxed riding position.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 04-15-15, 12:26 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I guess I'm not seeing the same photos you are, but I don't see nearly 8cm of spacers there, maybe half that. Anyways, the bars are level with the saddle, which is not unreasonable for a relaxed riding position.
I dunno, 8cm is just over 3", I'd say it's pretty close.

Here's mine with 20mm of spacers:

And my old Fuji (RIP) right after I bought it with 40mm of spacers.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make was, the guy could just drop his stem his bit and make do with the existing brake cable...ultimately allowing him to ride his bike safely the same day rather than waiting for brake cables to come in the mail or having to make a special trip to LBS for some.

Old 04-15-15, 12:48 PM
Tahoe41

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys, just making it clear that no one has offended me. Im still trying to learn as much as I can and just enjoy riding. After really looking at it, the steerer tube does seem long but I will see how it all feels once I get the brake situation sorted out.
Old 04-15-15, 12:49 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Well, here's my Wabi Lightning with 4cm worth of spacers, so I dunno.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGP1867.jpg (100.8 KB, 69 views)

Originally Posted by Dcv

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.