Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Raleigh M89 question.

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Raleigh M89 question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-19, 08:39 AM
Spadec

Bikes: Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh M89 question.

I'm an old timer who rides my country roads for exercise. I recently unloaded the Diamondback I purchased from Academy Sports (pile of junk) and purchased a used Raleigh M80, an older one without disc brakes. It doesn't fit well and I need to move the seat back a couple of inches. I see numerous post for sale on line but do not want to spend the big bucks to buy one if I don't know the dimensions of the seat post? Do any of you know the seat post diameter? I am not sure how to measure mine in mm. I'm also going to change the off road tires to a more street friendly tire.

Title should read, M80
Old 12-29-19, 09:01 AM
Richierich66

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spadec
I'm an old timer who rides my country roads for exercise. I recently unloaded the Diamondback I purchased from Academy Sports (pile of junk) and purchased a used Raleigh M80, an older one without disc brakes. It doesn't fit well and I need to move the seat back a couple of inches. I see numerous post for sale on line but do not want to spend the big bucks to buy one if I don't know the dimensions of the seat post? Do any of you know the seat post diameter? I am not sure how to measure mine in mm. I'm also going to change the off road tires to a more street friendly tire.

Title should read, M80
Seatposts typically have the size stamped at the base of the actual post where it can be read when the post is removed.
M80 2000-2003 have 27.2mm.
You also could measure the diameter of the seatpost and of the hole in the seat tube using a dial indicator or vernier caliper.
Old 12-29-19, 04:28 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Or you could take the seat post out and measure with a standard tape measure and Google the measurement converter .
Old 12-29-19, 07:14 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Post some pictures.
Old 12-29-19, 08:44 PM
Spadec

Bikes: Raleigh M80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help. I took out the post and saw numbers but nothing looked like a measurement. I put a tape to it and it looks like one inch in diameter. I could be wrong and looking at the conversion chart (1 " =25.4mm) makes me think I'm wrong. The 27.2 mm is just a little over an inch (1.07") so I'm going to take a chance and order it. Then I remember I also need a bracket so I ordered one. I'll report back in a couple of days when I get it. I'm inept with computers and wish I could post a picture.