Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tire Changing and Arthritis

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tire Changing and Arthritis

Old 01-20-20, 10:24 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1928 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man View Post
So the tire jack gets a hard to mount tire onto the rim but is no good for getting the ire off again. No thanks as I don't want to be stuck miles out in the country with a flat tire I can't get off the rim. For me, if a tire is that hard to mount I'll use a different tire. Being able to repair a flat at the side of the road is a need I want in a tire/wheel combination.
The VAR bead jack incorporates a tire lever for removing the tire with a bead jack to re-mount the tire in a single tool. It doesn't have the leverage of the Kool-Stop bead jack, but is more portable to carry with you on the road:

https://www.amazon.com/VAR-Nylon-Tir.../dp/B004YJ30M8
Old 01-20-20, 11:07 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: Miele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno SL, Miele MTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
The VAR bead jack incorporates a tire lever for removing the tire with a bead jack to re-mount the tire in a single tool. It doesn't have the leverage of the Kool-Stop bead jack, but is more portable to carry with you on the road:

https://www.amazon.com/VAR-Nylon-Tir.../dp/B004YJ30M8
I have one of those but the separate inner tire lever is the one that broke when I tried to get a hard to mount tire off at the side of the road in order to replace the inner tube. I have since used the outer tire jack on some tires when my hand was sore - actually when my wrist was sprained.

Cheers