Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Glenwood Barn Find

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Glenwood Barn Find

Old 12-27-19, 11:21 AM
  #51  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,856

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 147 Posts
Working the magic formula to remove the 100yr old caked-on mud and grease. Today I repacked and set the BB that now spins effortlessly smooth.

This is a labor of love. Can you tell the diff??


OldsCOOL is offline  
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 12-27-19, 07:10 PM
  #52  
aceves
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Northern Cal
Posts: 185

Bikes: Lots, mostly Bianchi

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 24 Posts
Great find @OldsCOOL!! Definitely want to see the final build! Keep us posted!

aceves
aceves is offline  
Likes For aceves:
Old 12-27-19, 08:49 PM
  #53  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,856

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by aceves View Post
Great find @OldsCOOL!! Definitely want to see the final build! Keep us posted!

aceves
Thanx! This one has my full attention. Iíll keep the thread refreshed along the way.
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 12-27-19, 10:07 PM
  #54  
Sandstrom
Senior Member
 
Sandstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 34 Posts
WOW, so glad you ended up with the bike after all and thanks for sharing. Can't wait to watch the progress, These early 'safety' type bicycles are fascinating!

What a wonderful Christmas gift for you. BTW, does it have a compass in the stock?

Sandstrom is offline  
Likes For Sandstrom:
Old 12-27-19, 10:19 PM
  #55  
BFisher
Senior Member
 
BFisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NEPA
Posts: 928

Bikes: '61 Schwinn Klunker, '68 Hercules Klapprad, '71 Peugeot UO8, '73 Raleigh Super Course, '78 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '79 Motobecane Grand Sprint, '87 Ironman Expert, '89 Puch Mistral Leader, '92 Trek 930

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 201 Posts
This is just too damn cool!

Watching closely.
BFisher is offline  
Likes For BFisher:
Old 12-27-19, 10:50 PM
  #56  
Steve Whitlatch 
Senior Member
 
Steve Whitlatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 3,664
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Wow! Too cool! Will be watching your progress as you go.
__________________
My bikes: 1970`s Roberts - 1981 Miyata 912 - 1980`s Ocshner (Chrome) - 1987 Schwinn Circuit - 1987 Schwinn Prologue - 1992 Schwinn Crosspoint - 1999 Schwinn Circuit - 2014 Cannondale Super Six EVO
Steve Whitlatch is offline  
Likes For Steve Whitlatch:
Old 12-28-19, 08:12 AM
  #57  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,856

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Sandstrom View Post
WOW, so glad you ended up with the bike after all and thanks for sharing. Can't wait to watch the progress, These early 'safety' type bicycles are fascinating!

What a wonderful Christmas gift for you. BTW, does it have a compass in the stock?

No compass but the bell still rings (huge wow)!
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 12-28-19, 08:27 AM
  #58  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,856

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict View Post
Merry Christmas!

Terrific find and nice gift!

Anyways, my family have a few oldie auto's and carriages from this era. Always fascinating to see motion pictures preserved from the actual times. See the middle of the following film ~ enjoy.

https://youtu.be/qr7kRYO29n4
Awesome footage at the 5:20 mark. The riders had their bars flipped and turned down for riding in the drops! The other riders to follow had their bars upward. This helped me figure out why the ads for Glenwoods showed the bikes with drop bars and mine with the bar flipped up. Great vid, thanks!
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 12-28-19, 05:31 PM
  #59  
3speedslow
Senior Member
 
3speedslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 7,780

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1403 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
The pedals are Pirate rat traps. In terms of weight, they are much lighter in construction than what we see on our C&V bikes. I would weigh them but the project is a preservation and some things wonít be disassembled. They will stay put on the cranks for now.


OMG! A $1.80 for a pair of pedals... thatís highway robbery!
3speedslow is offline  
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 12-28-19, 08:14 PM
  #60  
jonwvara 
Senior Member
 
jonwvara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Washington County, Vermont, USA
Posts: 3,054

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow View Post
OMG! A $1.80 for a pair of pedals... thatís highway robbery!
Hey, that's $25.98 in 2019 dollars (assuming the original price to have been from 1900), according to the inflation calculator I checked.

What does a generic set of similar pedals cost today? I would have probably have said 20 or 30 bucks, so all's right with the world.

Lovely bike!
__________________
www.redclovercomponents.com

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
jonwvara is offline  
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 12-28-19, 09:09 PM
  #61  
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Posts: 24,558

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 319 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
Working the magic formula to remove the 100yr old caked-on mud and grease. Today I repacked and set the BB that now spins effortlessly smooth.

This is a labor of love. Can you tell the diff??
I've been lurking here with interest, and enjoying every bit of this. Seeing that it's that good under the grime is absolutely fantastic news.

It's also extremely refreshing to see someone go ahead and polish up a bike of this age, rather than succumb to the nonsense that unpolished paint and grime are somehow part of the patina (they aren't).

-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline  
Likes For cudak888:
Old 12-28-19, 09:44 PM
  #62  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,856

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888 View Post
I've been lurking here with interest, and enjoying every bit of this. Seeing that it's that good under the grime is absolutely fantastic news.

It's also extremely refreshing to see someone go ahead and polish up a bike of this age, rather than succumb to the nonsense that unpolished paint and grime are somehow part of the patina (they aren't).

-Kurt
Thank you for the affirmation! I think we share the same focus on these old gems. Itís a responsibility I feel obligated to fulfill when finding such a bicycle. This one is a preservation. Lube all bearings, polish what can be polished and rebuild the wheels. Thanx for following.
OldsCOOL is offline  
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 12-29-19, 02:37 PM
  #63  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 1,093

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 716, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
What is old is new again, including bicycle chains

12 speed SRAM AXS:

abshipp is offline  
Likes For abshipp:
Old 12-29-19, 02:56 PM
  #64  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,856

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
What is old is new again, including bicycle chains

12 speed SRAM AXS:

Skip tooth chains?
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 12-29-19, 03:23 PM
  #65  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 1,093

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 716, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
Skip tooth chains?
Thought it was interesting that SRAM's brand new electronic wireless 12 speed groupset uses a polarized chain with one flat side, very similar to the chain on your beautiful Glenwood
abshipp is offline  
Old 12-29-19, 05:52 PM
  #66  
UKFan4Sure 
Useless Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
Close up pics of the rims? Do they still look to be rideable?

I've never seen wooden rims in real life!

It would be a pretty fun carpentry project to build wooden rims!
You just reminded me to post a bike I saw at "Wheels Through Time" museum in Maggie Valley, NC this summer. I'll start a thread.
__________________
2013 Schwinn Paramount Series 8, 2015 Specialized Roubaix Competition, 2008 Trek Portland, 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1985 Peugeot PGN-10, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur
UKFan4Sure is offline  
Old 12-29-19, 08:39 PM
  #67  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,856

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
Thought it was interesting that SRAM's brand new electronic wireless 12 speed groupset uses a polarized chain with one flat side, very similar to the chain on your beautiful Glenwood
Bikes have come a long ways (thatís a sweet speedster)!
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 12-30-19, 09:46 AM
  #68  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,856

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 147 Posts
Doing a preservation is more art than science. Last night I removed the pedals and soaked them in oxalic acid to remove much of the rust. The “art” of this is when you don’t want to remove all rust so the parts are out-shining the rest of the bike.

This is what I ended up with. A good blend with the patina.

OldsCOOL is offline  
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 12-30-19, 10:40 AM
  #69  
'02 nrs
royaloaker
 
'02 nrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: se MIch.
Posts: 200

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell,4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 35 Posts
great find-have you thought of returning to the barn in search for the missing grip or other bits??? being in Michigan also you never know whats stashed in the many barns in the sticks.if they survive the harsh weather now days.did the spotter receive a "finders fee"? wouldn't doubt if there were track races nearby where it was located,the History would be a whole diff. project.see you at the ann arbor-saline bike show? would be a great entry! past 2 years the vendors have increased by my estimation 25% each year.Ann Arbor Classic Bicycle Show
'02 nrs is offline  
Old 12-30-19, 10:56 AM
  #70  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,856

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by '02 nrs View Post
great find-have you thought of returning to the barn in search for the missing grip or other bits??? being in Michigan also you never know whats stashed in the many barns in the sticks.if they survive the harsh weather now days.did the spotter receive a "finders fee"? wouldn't doubt if there were track races nearby where it was located,the History would be a whole diff. project.see you at the ann arbor-saline bike show? would be a great entry! past 2 years the vendors have increased by my estimation 25% each year.Ann Arbor Classic Bicycle Show
No finders fee. The estate is sold so there wont be any going back. I may have to spring for a repop set of grips. Maybe Iíll get to that show sometime, it isnít too far away from me.
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 12-30-19, 01:43 PM
  #71  
tricky
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Upper Left, USA
Posts: 1,083
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
Monkey wrench with patent date of Nov 18, 1900
Tire pump
pouch is in excellent condition

My guess is someone was serious enough to be equipped with patch repair in the event of being far from home.


These are amazing, as is the bike.

Isn't this bike from before they had standard sizes for fasteners? That would explain the use of a monkey wrench instead of fixed width spanners. Are you finding that modern box wrenches fit the pedal flats and other wrenchable surfaces or are you using adjustable wrenches on all of these?

Edit: I was enamored with this wrench so I did some research on it. I reverse google image searched that M logo, but no luck. I hit the jackpot with "Vintage A-2 adjustable wrench" It's a Frank Mossberg wrench. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wrench-Vint...p2047675.l2557

So that they don't get lost in the ebay abyss, attaching the auction pics below for future reference.

More info on the company here. From that same link, here is a pic of an A-1 (5") and an A-2 (5.5") model: http://alloy-artifacts.org/frank-mos...ml#mossberg-a1







Last edited by tricky; 12-30-19 at 02:01 PM.
tricky is offline  
Likes For tricky:
Old 12-30-19, 03:52 PM
  #72  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,856

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky View Post
These are amazing, as is the bike.

Isn't this bike from before they had standard sizes for fasteners? That would explain the use of a monkey wrench instead of fixed width spanners. Are you finding that modern box wrenches fit the pedal flats and other wrenchable surfaces or are you using adjustable wrenches on all of these?

Edit: I was enamored with this wrench so I did some research on it. I reverse google image searched that M logo, but no luck. I hit the jackpot with "Vintage A-2 adjustable wrench" It's a Frank Mossberg wrench. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wrench-Vint...p2047675.l2557

So that they don't get lost in the ebay abyss, attaching the auction pics below for future reference.

More info on the company here. From that same link, here is a pic of an A-1 (5") and an A-2 (5.5") model: The Frank Mossberg Company






J
Awesome find! I couldnít find it so kicked it aside with the activity of the project. Great question on the sizes. Not only are they standard sizes, all points of maintenance (BB, headset, pedals etc) are what you find on our C&V bikes of up to the 1990ís. It is a joy to work on, not at all frustrating like I had anticipated.
OldsCOOL is offline  
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 12-30-19, 04:05 PM
  #73  
tricky
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Upper Left, USA
Posts: 1,083
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
Awesome find! I couldnít find it so kicked it aside with the activity of the project. Great question on the sizes. Not only are they standard sizes, all points of maintenance (BB, headset, pedals etc) are what you find on our C&V bikes of up to the 1990ís. It is a joy to work on, not at all frustrating like I had anticipated.
That's very interesting about the standardized sizes! Standardization came earlier than I thought. Bicycles as a bellwether of the current state of industry, I like it.

When you get time, post a photo of any markings on the pump and I'll check on that too.
tricky is offline  
Likes For tricky:
Old 12-30-19, 07:28 PM
  #74  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,856

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky View Post
That's very interesting about the standardized sizes! Standardization came earlier than I thought. Bicycles as a bellwether of the current state of industry, I like it.

When you get time, post a photo of any markings on the pump and I'll check on that too.
Oddly enough, no markings on the pump other than ďmade in USAĒ stamped on the end cover at the top.
OldsCOOL is offline  
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 12-31-19, 07:55 AM
  #75  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,856

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 147 Posts
Frameset conditioning completed.




BB and pedals cleaned and repacked, asssembled and cones set...

OldsCOOL is offline  
Likes For OldsCOOL:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.