Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Rookie MTB shoe question

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Rookie MTB shoe question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-19, 08:47 AM
dpicare26

Bikes: '15 BMC Granfondo '11 Stevens Carbon Team CX, '74 Schwinn Paramount, '85 Trek 600, '89 Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 11 Posts
Rookie MTB shoe question

So I've recently decided to try clipless MTB shoes and pedals. I have Crank Brothers egg beaters with the clips, but the shoes I bought do not have the "cleat plate", in other words, do not have the recessed threads to accept the screws from the clips? Why would this be necessary for a MTB shoe? Must I purchase a separate plate to install under the shoes insole?

Reading reviews, it appears that the shoe was supposed to include removable plates? Could this be correct? I, however, did not.

Last edited by dpicare26; 12-23-19 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-23-19, 09:26 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I've purchased 2 pairs of Shimano MTB shoes and both came with the plates in the shoes to mount the cleats.
Old 12-23-19, 10:15 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
I have bought used shoes, and am stuck with what comes with them.

However, it is pretty inconceivable that new shoes would not have the cleat plates.

I assume the picture posted is not a photo of your shoes.

The cleat plates fit under the insole. You can purchase them easily enough, and they should be standard for Shimano. They allow some adjustment of the cleat position for different preferences.

Anyway, pull up the insoles and look underneath. Double check that they plates aren't lost in the box, or accidentally discarded with packing. Then hit your vendor up for replacements.
Old 12-24-19, 07:08 AM
dpicare26

Bikes: '15 BMC Granfondo '11 Stevens Carbon Team CX, '74 Schwinn Paramount, '85 Trek 600, '89 Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 11 Posts
Ok, Yea, They just were not included with the shoes. I'll get a pair of plates online somewhere. The vendor I used was cool about it, and gave me a partial refund.