Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your C&V 2019....

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your C&V 2019....

Old 12-24-19, 01:28 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 504 Posts
Your C&V 2019....

So, the C&V version of your aunt's Christmas letter.....

This was my 60th year on the planet. I decided to "ride more." The question was, "more than what?"

January: Brazen Dropouts with ldmataya and iab. No riding. ProForm Peloton malfunctioning, rollers too hard, the usual excuses.

February: CIBA’s swap, with speedevil, where I met sloar and nomadmax. Two heroes. No riding. March, naught.

April saw us in KY to preview the Bourbon & Tobacco Tour:

Add in a cold-ass ride in OH with nomadmax .
Somewhere in there, a swap meet at smontanaro 's house, where I met 63rickert and 76SLT .
April also found me in Chicago for their version of spring, to once again see Barrettscv and others.

When May hit, I realized I'd better get ready for Thunder Ridge, so some 600 miles were ridden to prepare. speedevil and I picked up seedsbelize in WV to join rccardr , seypat , Spaghetti Legs and others in Thunder Ridge. Again, again, again. We have established a habit.

An old friend challenged me to ride 1,000 miles in June for Children's Cancer, so I went in on it. PilotFishBob , speedevil , and nomadmax helped start June with the rescheduled Bourbon & Tobacco Tour. nomadmax kept me on track in Ohio, and speedevil helped finish up June's 1071 miles. I got tired, and sick kids got research money. It works, I hope.

June readied me for July and RAIN (Ride Across INdiana). nomadmax and speedevil were there, After 100 very hot miles, I met someone special, with whom many miles have been spent since, probably a turning point in the year for me. I was introduced to her cycling friends and her cycling attitude, which caused me to step up my game, or at least think about it. As it was, RAIN was the hottest day I've spent on a bike.

August meant RAW (Ride Across Wisconsin) hodgykins set the bar for crossing the Dairy State. I learned that 4 beers the day before can dehydrate a person. Painfully so. I also learned some great lines to use on unattached female riders, as basically I had all day to practice, and got some good feedback, including an invitation to "stay halfway, you won't regret it." Bummed from only 183 miles on RAW (and maybe not staying halfway), I solo'd 117 miles the next weekend on Wabash River century, met some nice people, and a guy who'd ridden The Best Day Ever in Milwaukee. It's now on my bucket list. RAW set off a string of 7 Centuries in 8 weekends, interrupted only by Coppi's gathering (23, 43, 63 on Fri/Sat/Sun).

Labor Day weekend, I was introduced to the St. Louis cycling scene, which is substantial and busy. We did the Giro De Montagna, then the 1st day century for theMS150, then to Wisconsin for Coppi's C&V mecca. Probably, along with the Bartali event, the finest bike shows I've been to, for total experience. Unmatched.

My hero @northbend

Kudo's forever to iab . Easily mentioned is meeting the great northbend . Superb guy, and once again, I had time to talk to crank_addict. Got to trail Chrome Molly and spend the time needed, but always more wished. Back to MO/IL for Ride the Rivers in MO. My friend then went to Spain to ride, so I kept my mileage up, as October saw The Appleknocker in Calhoun County, Illinois, with a Cat 3 and a Cat 4 climb. The real kicker there was the headwind going in, but the fresh catfish at the end was amazing.

I meant to "fnish up" with Indiana's Hilly Hundred doubleheader, and it was a fine bookend, of sorts. Friday night saw us debating the merits of sub-40 degrees, 2-3" of rain, and 35mph winds. Stupidity won out, and with speedevil , nomadmax , steelbikeguy going after the day's 53 miles wet, numb, and cold. Sunday was pretty, so we did it again, but mostly backwards.

Thought I might be done, but a lady in St. Louis had other ideas, so we rode regular 50's on weekends, then Cranksgiving in St. Louis to feed the hungry. The St. Petersburg bunch showed me around the trails in Madison County, IL, and the folks in that neck of the woods are fun, funny, nice, and fit. I've been introduced to indoor riding, with 4 sessions done, 2x1-hour and 2x3-hour, but have yet to complete a 3-hour session (tired on the first, and flatted 2x on the 2nd). This weekend portends the "power test" which is supposed to be "fun." and a 3-hour ride on Sunday.

2019 saw me finally decide to get bikes that fit, ride them, and get rid of the rest. Not as complete as I intended, and a couple of 56's will stay in the stable (Colnago, Y-Foil). Others will (hopefully) disappear at Brazen Dropouts, and I can finish up my 54's and get on with it. 2020 has no goal except to keep on with what I'm doing.

Ironman Nation became Ironman Empire, as we are now across the pond. We also welcomed Ironmaidens into the mix, and saw prices stabilize and the cult grow. We definitely need a convention.

Oh, and the lady I met? found something for her:

Thanks to everyone I met, helped, helped me, or didn't really care. It was a good year, one I don't deserve, but will gladly remember.

UPDATE: Thought I was done. Never say "done" around St. Louis cyclists. Power test went well, 212w for 20 min for almost 61. Then, it looked like "it might not rain" on Sunday, so we did a December metric to close out the year. Just over 4,000 miles, and over 100,000' of climbing 105-107 rides (I have records for only 103, but know of several with no Garmin).

New Year's Day looks like "no rain," so here we go, 2020!

and you?

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 12-30-19 at 05:03 PM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-24-19, 01:58 PM
iab

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1640 Post(s)
Liked 386 Times in 209 Posts
January - Brazon Dropouts

April - 13th Annual Great Chicagoland Spring Classic
Spring Classic 12 by iabisdb, on Flickr

June - Centenario Coppi, scout the route 50k
Coppi 50K 28 by iabisdb, on Flickr

July - Cabin ride
Up North 10 by iabisdb, on Flickr

August - Centenario Coppi, scout the route 100k
Coppi 100 14 by iabisdb, on Flickr

September - Mostra Scambio Imola
2019 Imola Scambio 02 by iabisdb, on Flickr
2019 Imola Scambio 18 by iabisdb, on Flickr
2019 Imola Scambio 29 by iabisdb, on Flickr

September - Milano Navigli
2019 Milano Navigli 02 by iabisdb, on Flickr
2019 Milano Navigli 12 by iabisdb, on Flickr
2019 Milano Navigli 39 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Likes For iab:
Old 12-24-19, 02:08 PM
iab

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 1640 Post(s)
Liked 386 Times in 209 Posts
September - Centenaro Coppi
saturday show 10 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Untitled by iabisdb, on Flickr
20190914_184627_8bf01061e9292ac92b61b15a858b8d79b3b233a7 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Coppi Sunday 01 by iabisdb, on Flickr
img_01991_0adb84686cbf3c9d9a4f2559060bf9346565c515 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Coppi Sunday 13 by iabisdb, on Flickr

October - Rural Ramble

Likes For iab:
Old 12-24-19, 03:34 PM
Wildwood
Veteran/Pacifist/Resister

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 296 Posts
2019 - started out early with snow around and included a few miles with the big boys, but it's too much to include in 1 post. In th end it should be about enjoying a little C&V vibe - and regularly with friends.

Puttin in the miles

Go someplace, someplace high to train - western slope Colorado near The Grand Mesa

and then ride with the big boys

But at the end of the day to be with friends who can agree about the best in cycling

Last edited by Wildwood; 12-24-19 at 04:02 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 12-24-19, 05:50 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 216 Post(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 255 Posts
You're not fooling me. I'd recognize those C&V chins anywhere.

Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post

Old 12-24-19, 06:04 PM
Kabuki12

Bikes: 1973 Windsor Profesional,1976 Kabuki diamond formula with full Campy, 1977 Raleigh Competition GS , 1971 Stella original Campy equip. 1978 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1972 Italvega Gran Rally ,1972 Super Mondia Special,Medici Pro Strada

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 110 Posts
With the exception of Eroica California, I spent the year riding alone or with my wife. Pretty much just local 30-40 milers some shorter , some longer. Very little interruption due to weather in Southern California unless the stinkin’ Santa Ana winds are howlin’ . Did not travel or do anything too adventurous but a lot of happy miles logged and some fine memories. It has been a good year , no bad health or crashes , I guess I was blessed. My 65th birthday came and went with very little fan fare but I am sure diggin’ Medicare. Joe
Old 12-24-19, 08:46 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 72 Schwinn World Voyageur, 78 Schwinn World(upright town bike), 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 88 Centurion Ironman Expert,92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5408 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 136 Posts
My 2019 was highlighted by my first tour, across Ohio north to south. I bought a 1980 trek 414 from the Youngstown Ohio CL, sight unseen, with the help and facilitation of PatTheSlat. I rode it to Huntington, WV, where RobbieTunes and Speedevil grabbed me and took me to SOTR. And that was it, for my north of the border riding. The rest of the year was spent riding solo in the pancakelands of northwest Yucatan. I also acquired, in Virginia, a 1988 Centurion Ironman, facilitated by seypat, which has come to compete neck and neck with my 79 Trek 930.
one general tip for when the exact hub cone is not readily available. discovered that the curvature of the bearing surface on the shimano 600 was a pretty good "skeleton key" for many applications. it would sometimes require a small change in ball size to make everything come out correctly.
Old 12-24-19, 08:51 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1970 Raleigh Pro Mk1, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10E, 1966 Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Surgeries in January and late October kept me off the bike for half the year, although I planned them for the colder months. In any event mileage was low but I still enjoyed a few trips to Vermont and Cape Cod, a short but sweet rail trail ride in the Berkshires with my daughter, the off-road Old Croton Reservoir trail and a number of rides on the North-South County trails along with my usual tooling around Manhattan, Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn. No Tour de Staten Island this year, I was still recovering from my shoulder work. An unexpected surprise was coming across a stunning chrome Raleigh Pro Mk.1 which now wears the gear that was on my International. That one will become my upright commuter/townie.

Old 12-24-19, 09:04 PM
SurferRosa

Bikes: old school 531c & campy

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 247 Posts
Had one of my best years riding. No rotators cuff issues after dealing with 'em on both sides the last few years! Riding without "shooting pain" is the ****!

Fell in love with Campy Triomphe!

Finally rid all the ugly hoods and bought Rustines for all my bikes!

Lowered the stems on all my bikes. Felt faster, resilient and in better back health.

Got to ride with the c&v folks in the Pac NW five or so times. Enjoyed the brotherhood immensely.

Broke in the two bikes I bought late last year ('82 Miyata 912, '87 531c Falcon), and bought a new keeper, an early '80s Bertoni.

Sold three!

Looking forward to Spring! Gettin' too plump already this holiday.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 12-24-19, 09:13 PM
clubman
Youngman Grand

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 158 Posts
Also a best year in many. Rode 25 kms a day (on and off) for the first time after botched knee surgery. Too bad that lump on the right shoulder is a problem.

Last edited by clubman; 12-24-19 at 09:16 PM.
Likes For clubman:
Old 12-24-19, 09:21 PM
deux jambes 

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 95 Posts
After procuring a frame, and fork back in early January, I set some plans, and proceeded to collect the right parts & accessories thereafter.

Eight months later in autumn, I accomplished my first ever bike build from the ground up. I learned a lot in the process from wheel building skills, and setting a chainline, to derailleur adjustment, and fine tuning caliper brakes.

Aside from errands, a work commute, and a bit of aimless leisure riding, I took the bike out to intentionally conquer my first real hill which overlooks the city.

I didn’t manage to get nearly as much riding in during 2019 as I hope to in 2020, but the C&V gratification this year has still been remarkably significant.

Last edited by deux jambes; 12-24-19 at 09:25 PM.
Likes For deux jambes:
Old 12-24-19, 09:30 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer View Post
An unexpected surprise was coming across a stunning chrome Raleigh Pro Mk.1 which now wears the gear that was on my International. That one will become my upright commuter/townie.

I'm kind of new here, but this is the best bike on C&V for 2019 :-)

I *really* like chrome bikes.

What fenders are those? 700x38 tires?

My C&V year, I road a century on my resto-mod hercules 3 speed, around lake tahoe and to truckee and back, averaged 16 MPH even, I actually built that bike back in 2005.

I picked up a couple bikes too, in large part due to this forum, THANK YOU!

The one that I'm really enjoying right now is a a 1972 Super Course,

And I'm looking forward to some sweet builds I have lined up for this winter!
Old 12-24-19, 09:35 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1970 Raleigh Pro Mk1, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10E, 1966 Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
I'm kind of new here, but this is the best bike on C&V for 2019 :-)

I *really* like chrome bikes.

What fenders are those? 700x38 tires?
Thanks! The tires are Compass/Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass, sold as 35 and measuring about 33 for me. Velo Orange faceted fenders.
Old 12-24-19, 09:50 PM
Nemosengineer 
Hair Ball

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by deux jambes View Post
After procuring a frame, and fork back in early January, I set some plans, and proceeded to collect the right parts & accessories thereafter.

Eight months later in autumn, I accomplished my first ever bike build from the ground up. I learned a lot in the process from wheel building skills, and setting a chainline, to derailleur adjustment, and fine tuning caliper brakes.

Aside from errands, a work commute, and a bit of aimless leisure riding, I took the bike out to intentionally conquer my first real hill which overlooks the city.

I didn’t manage to get nearly as much riding in during 2019 as I hope to in 2020, but the C&V gratification this year has still been remarkably significant.

Outstanding build!!!

: Mike
Old 12-24-19, 09:53 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1961 Legnano Gran Premio, 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 489 Times in 279 Posts
'19 was a good vintage year for me, all things considered. Two minor surgeries kept me off the bike a little, missing out on the Solvang Century in March, which I've done almost consecutively since 2000 when I turned 50. At 70 now, stuff sometimes gets in the way. I did make it to Eroica, but only the short Piedra Blanca 35 mile route, riding my '64 Legnano Roma, had since new. Without real hill gears, the flat coastal route suited the Legnano perfectly. I met up with several from the Pasadena vintage group, and we had a great day. Besides scoring some cool stuff at the Eroica Swap Meet, I was able to stop by to see another BF'er near Morro Bay, and score a deal on a $50 barn find '61 Legnano Gran Premio, same color scheme as my Roma. Though a little small, its close enough to be my entry in the $100 Clunker Challenge, and a fun little bike with an interesting drivetrain. Earlier in the year, I was able to find most of a '78 Super Course, and its been fun piecing it together. Though I hate the idea of flippers parting out bikes just for $$$, it does make the the thrill of the hunt fun, and usually results in a bike better than if it was kept together and original. As a $20 CL starting point it has turned into a fun ride. I've also enjoyed my '78 PR10 and '73 Super Course, both on Pasadena vintage rides and playing tag with the modern carbon on Channel Islands Bike Club rides. I've even got a modern carbon club rider thinking vintage. He now has 4 or 5 old steelies, including a beautiful Cinelli with 50th Anniversary Campy gruppo. The '73 SC and I made it over Sulphur Mountain fire road into Ojai, easily keeping pace with more modern and "better suited" gravel bikes. This year I hope to take the '73 SC on a more challenging Eroica route, and maybe show the Legnano Roma in the Concours. With SoCal high winds, fires, and even rain, I am well short of my 5K mileage goal, just short of 4K. I've really enjoyed the C & V postings and posters too on the Forum. So happy I found out about it! Happy New Year everybody, happy miles, happy smiles 😀.

My '64 Legnano Roma Olympiad, had since new, on it's 2nd Eroica CA.

Pasadena group friends at the lighthouse.

$50 barn find Legnano, as bought.

Legnanos, little and big.

The '61 Gran Premio at the Rose Bowl, completing the Clunker Challenge.

$20 local CL find, as bought...

... built up as a nice '78 Super Course, from mostly spare parts.

The "73 Super Course on Sulphur Mountain gravel ride, next year's Eroica ride?

My '78 PR10 (left) and a friend's PX10, gold dust twins in Pasadena.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 12-24-19 at 10:26 PM.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 12-24-19, 10:27 PM
ryansu 
Ride.Smile.Repeat

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 219 Posts
I did way more wrenching than riding this year I think I sold 8 bikes and did a total over haul on four, or something like that. I did however do the Tour De Lopez in April where I lucked into great weather and beer at the end! I met quite a few forum members this year and even did a few short rides but opted out of many more due to a lack of fitness. i plan to change that in 2020.

From the TdL

84 Novara Randoonee

Cool forest gravel section

Local craft beer yum

Last edited by ryansu; 12-24-19 at 10:31 PM.
Likes For ryansu:
Old 12-25-19, 08:20 AM
MiloFrance 
Not riding enough

Bikes: Lots of French, some British and a couple of Italian

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 28 Posts
Not nearly enough, although the high points were Gaiole and Anjou. Not finishing the year in a good way as I broke 3 ribs and punctured a lung on the 23rd (not bike related). All ok, just a few weeks of pain to get through.
Happy everything to everyone!
Old 12-25-19, 08:55 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '07 Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 69 Posts
My 2019

I've slacked here at the end but this year was the most I've ridden in years. Mostly prep for the Ring of Berra ride in Ireland, which was amazing. Mostly riding in my new home of Signal Mountain Tennessee, which is amazing.

Me and my buddy Mark in Ireland. I'm the guy in the eye splitting yellow jacket.
​​​​
I want to join the Bourbon and Tobacco ride in April to meet some of you all and the Cino Heroica next year (always wanted to do the Cino). Wanted to do Eroica in Cali but I don't have that kind of open time. Need to ride more to not be the slowest guy out there and want to find one more local ride to train for. Maybe get off my duff and organize a meetup for southeast states BF members to trade our crap for everyone else's crap. Merry Christmas all.

Last edited by mechanicmatt; 12-25-19 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-25-19, 09:17 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Quoted: 1358 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 198 Posts
I certainly didn’t do all of my 2019 riding on C&V bikes, but I’m an old guy who rides with other old guys, so I think that counts.

In early March, my touring season started with the Last Winter Tour of the Willamette Valley, with a full cast of BFers from the PNW, including gugie , Andy_K , northbend , and Dfrost .

I was on Andy’s Motobecane Grand Record:

Then in May, -holiday76 , ColonelJLloyd , and I did a 3-day bike packing trip from Brian’s house to Harriman, NY:

Jump ahead a month or so for a multimodal tour (bike, train, ferry, taxi) from DC to Boston. I was on my ‘71 Gugified Raleigh International:

-holiday76 met up with me so that we could shoot our new album cover at the New Jersey shore:

Then, my last tour was an epic journey that gugie organized, which took six of us from Seattle to Portland, meeting up with multiple BFers along the way:

Here’s to riding with BFers in 2020!
Likes For nlerner:
Old 12-25-19, 09:25 AM
repechage

Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 202 Posts
2019- Continued to commute to work by bike. This holiday break it will get a rebuild. Paint will have to wait. It is 46 years old and ready for its second respray.

finished a sistership of my first road bike. In a size 3cm smaller than the original. I will be on the lookout for another in a cm smaller at 55cm to get a shorter top tube. ( measured as how was done - center to top ) but this one is close enough. Amazing how one recalls a bike by how it handles- an old friend- others are rated higher but this one I could call "bike one".

during that rebuild, ended up sorting the parts inventory. Normally I recall when and where I obtained parts. I found a number of surprises. I will attribute it to a few "parts lots" I bought, purchases made for a few key elements and the balance arrived with.

made one bike purchase. It has Shimano 600 Tricolor. Second Shimano road group I have owned- not excited by the painted component look but I cannot fault it's function.

2020 should bring more miles, and finish a few projects. One bike in particular just has me at a standstill as to what color to paint it. Was originally silver but I have too many silver bikes.
Old 12-25-19, 09:33 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 115 Posts
Added three bikes to the collection: two vintage Raleighs and the Botty. This was to be my “comeback” year, but all plans were derailed by shoulder deterioration and surgery. Looking forward to more miles in 2020.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Designer '84 ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports
Old 12-25-19, 11:11 AM
clubman
Youngman Grand

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 158 Posts
I spent a week in Castletownbere for a wedding. What a magnificent place. Palm trees, 2 lb lobsters and the best pubs I've ever been in. I was told by the locals, in no uncertain terms, how to properly drink a glass of Jamesons. “Slawn-cha”!

Originally Posted by mechanicmatt View Post
I've slacked here at the end but this year was the most I've ridden in years. Mostly prep for the Ring of Berra ride in Ireland, which was amazing. Mostly riding in my new home of Signal Mountain Tennessee, which is amazing.

Me and my buddy Mark in Ireland. I'm the guy in the eye splitting yellow jacket.
​​​​
I want to join the Bourbon and Tobacco ride in April to meet some of you all and the Cino Heroica next year (always wanted to do the Cino). Wanted to do Eroica in Cali but I don't have that kind of open time. Need to ride more to not be the slowest guy out there and want to find one more local ride to train for. Maybe get off my duff and organize a meetup for southeast states BF members to trade our crap for everyone else's crap. Merry Christmas all.
Old 12-25-19, 11:30 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 167 Posts
2019 started cold/wet/slow. Riding time limited by getting my parents house sold.

More riding in summer.

Did the Harmon Hundred in 5:56 rolling time.

Passed 2k miles YTD in December for the first time in a decade.

Lost 20 pounds.

Had 2 flats.
Old 12-25-19, 12:57 PM
Kabuki12

Bikes: 1973 Windsor Profesional,1976 Kabuki diamond formula with full Campy, 1977 Raleigh Competition GS , 1971 Stella original Campy equip. 1978 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1972 Italvega Gran Rally ,1972 Super Mondia Special,Medici Pro Strada

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer View Post
Surgeries in January and late October kept me off the bike for half the year, although I planned them for the colder months. In any event mileage was low but I still enjoyed a few trips to Vermont and Cape Cod, a short but sweet rail trail ride in the Berkshires with my daughter, the off-road Old Croton Reservoir trail and a number of rides on the North-South County trails along with my usual tooling around Manhattan, Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn. No Tour de Staten Island this year, I was still recovering from my shoulder work. An unexpected surprise was coming across a stunning chrome Raleigh Pro Mk.1 which now wears the gear that was on my International. That one will become my upright commuter/townie.

Glad to see that beautiful chromie built up. I can’t tell you how I agonized over whether to jump on that when I saw it on CR. That is one of THE best looking bikes I have seen! It built up just as I imagined it, nice job and I am glad you got through the medical procedures OK. Joe
Old 12-25-19, 01:07 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 76 Posts
The year stated with a Dawes and ends with a Mercier, with a few tidbits in between.

Ron Cooper

trek 700 series

Performance Focus

Nishiki Comp

My Clunker

Dawes Galaxy

Mercier

Torpado Superlight

Austro
Likes For Mr. 66:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.