Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brake Noodle Quality Comparison - What's good?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Brake Noodle Quality Comparison - What's good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-20, 05:11 AM
Son_Rising

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
delete

delete

Last edited by Son_Rising; 01-27-20 at 04:03 AM. Reason: delete
Old 01-06-20, 08:36 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
You mean the piece of plastic on v-brakes? The only function I've seen them serve is to stop gunk from getting on the cable into the housing since it is where the dirt gets kicked up. Anything will do there.
Old 01-06-20, 09:54 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
You mean the piece of plastic on v-brakes? The only function I've seen them serve is to stop gunk from getting on the cable into the housing since it is where the dirt gets kicked up. Anything will do there.
Pretty sure the OP is referring to the curved cable conduit used with V-brakes.

Not sure there is any great variation in quality; they all seem to be just a metal tube with a plastic liner.
Old 01-06-20, 10:58 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson

Not sure there is any great variation in quality; they all seem to be just a metal tube with a plastic liner.
I wasn't sure what the OP was describing. Why would anyone buy those lined metal noodles in a pack of 10? The $6 each seemed more reasonable for them. The 10 for $10 probably are just thin plastic liner pieces.
Old 01-06-20, 11:03 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
I have used Shimano and Jagwire and IIRC they are only a few bucks. Eventually the plastic liner fails and they needed replacement and I would doubt any major component manufacturer has a significantly better liner material. Useful life by a major brand is probably determined by cable smoothness and cleanliness rather than liner material.
Old 01-06-20, 11:08 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
All this talk about Japanese noodles is making me super hungry.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 01-06-20, 11:17 AM
Eggman84

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
One difference is some noodles have an integral adjusting barrel, and others don't. Those with the barrel will be more expensive (I assume). So if you don't have an adjusting barrel elsewhere in your housing run, then you might want to get a noodle with the integral adjusting barrel.
Old 01-06-20, 12:26 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
I don't know that there is a major difference in quality. Most of the braqnd name ones are stainless. There are differences in degree of bend, adjusters, color etc.
Old 01-06-20, 12:46 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
There are also the imitation travel agents, with cartridge bearings.
Old 01-06-20, 12:53 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggman84
One difference is some noodles have an integral adjusting barrel, and others don't. Those with the barrel will be more expensive (I assume). So if you don't have an adjusting barrel elsewhere in your housing run, then you might want to get a noodle with the integral adjusting barrel.
Even if you do, having another adjuster right next to the brake you are adjusting can be handy, and will have no ill effects.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 01-06-20, 05:15 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson

And the plastic thingy keeps the dirt out of that... I guess I'm not up on the terminology, by the time I got my first bike with v-brakes they'd moved on to disc.
Old 01-06-20, 07:32 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by Son_Rising
I see packs of (10) Jagwire noodles for $11 and single noodles for $6 and up. Is there a big difference in the quality of various break noodles? What is preferred? Would the basic bulk Jagwire noodles work well enough?
Yes, they do work well (the bulk back of Jagwires). I've ordered a bag of them in the past, just to have on-hand for re-doing brakes on my bikes or on project/donation/flip bikes. I have only a few left, but I haven't come across a set of linear pull brakes that needed them in a while, so they may linger! As I recall, the liner even had a dab of grease inside to keep the action smooth. When I do these types of brakes, I leave the rubber boot off -- junk seems to get trapped in those. I just keep the cables wiped dry and nothing seems to stick to them. Those rubber boots can also interfere with smooth braking action if they're long enough to get compressed with the cable pull of normal braking.

Just make sure to not get noodles with modulator springs in them (usually intended for the front brake of entry level bikes intended for novice riders) if you don't want them. I don't commonly see these in the aftermarket, but I imagine they are out there.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 01-07-20, 10:21 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
The 10 for $10 probably are just thin plastic liner pieces.
Sounded reasonable but found this ebay advert for flexible brake noodles. This is apparently the Chinese marketing approach: offer un-needed quantities (say 10) of an item that they could only sell for a buck each each and maximize revenue to $8.89.

https://www.amazon.com/Yuauy-Flexibl...SIN=B078HRK55F

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 01-07-20 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-07-20, 11:53 AM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Love the Flexi noodle, much better than the stiff ones!!!
Likes For Tamiya:
Old 01-07-20, 12:00 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Tamiya
Love the Flexi noodle, much better than the stiff ones!!!
+1 Flexible noodle; also get some 135 degree ones, not all 90 degrees if going fixed.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 01-07-20, 01:21 PM
hokiefyd 

Yeah, those flexible ones intrigue me. I've never used them before, but I guess they must work well.
Old 01-07-20, 01:24 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Son_Rising
Thanks hokiefyd. I saw the noodles with modulator springs and was wondering what that was about. I can see your point regarding boots, especially if it's just road riding.
I asked at Yellow Jersey about Alivio and Deore V-brakes and they told me to ditch the modulator spring noodles and just use regular noodles.

Cheers
Old 01-07-20, 01:36 PM
hokiefyd 

The "power modulators" are actually the genesis of me buying a 10-pack of the Jagwire noodles. At the time, I had two Trek hybrids with linear pull brakes, both with modulators on the front. One of the bikes was two years old and the other one was about 12 years old. So I just refreshed all the brake cables and noodles at once. Rather than buying four individual noodles, I figure I'd be able to use the other six eventually, so I bought the pack of 10. I think I have two left.

The modulators, in theory, prevent a front wheel lock-up. And I guess they did, but I'm a pretty heavy guy (240 pounds) and I'm not in the habit of even trying to lock my wheel (out of respect for my cycling equipment!). I don't know if I could have done it with the modulators or not, but they definitely added "squish" to the front brake.
Old 01-07-20, 02:15 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
I wasn't sure what the OP was describing. Why would anyone buy those lined metal noodles in a pack of 10? The $6 each seemed more reasonable for them. The 10 for $10 probably are just thin plastic liner pieces.
$6 for a noodle is a bit steep. They go for about $2 each. There are some ones from Avid that are a little bit better in the locking mechanism but they are still only about $5. $10 for 10 of them is about right.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-07-20, 03:42 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
I do a lot of charity repairs and never know how long these bikes will be around (stolen, sold, etc.). Yes I buy multiple bags of 10 or 20 at a time, The quality is what it is and they seem to function fine and help restore a bike to usefulness. We probably go through about 100 per year easily. That's why!

Old 01-07-20, 07:59 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
The "power modulators" are actually the genesis of me buying a 10-pack of the Jagwire noodles. At the time, I had two Trek hybrids with linear pull brakes, both with modulators on the front. One of the bikes was two years old and the other one was about 12 years old. So I just refreshed all the brake cables and noodles at once. Rather than buying four individual noodles, I figure I'd be able to use the other six eventually, so I bought the pack of 10. I think I have two left.

The modulators, in theory, prevent a front wheel lock-up. And I guess they did, but I'm a pretty heavy guy (240 pounds) and I'm not in the habit of even trying to lock my wheel (out of respect for my cycling equipment!). I don't know if I could have done it with the modulators or not, but they definitely added "squish" to the front brake.
That "squish" is exactly what Yellow Jersey warned me about when they told me to replace the noodles on either the Alivio or Deore V-brakes.

Cheers