Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

More supportive quill pedals?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-09-20, 11:14 AM
joedab

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have used nothing but quill pedals with toe clips for road riding because they fit snug like a glove.

My shoe of choice are high top converse chucks, though as they wear, the sole above the contact point with the pedal becomes thin. The traditional quill cage does not have much in the way of support and this combination starts to feel like standing on a post. This occurred to me after a lapse in riding while working in the mountains during the winter where/when riding is not as accessible, then going back to riding with my same shoes.

Can anyone recommend a type of pedal that would mount toe clips that would provide more support but also be snug and optimal for road riding? Would platform pedals that mount toe clips be just as good, albeit clunky in appearance and shape?

Old 01-09-20, 11:38 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 10325 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 364 Posts
I didn't go the way of pinned platforms, but there should be some that give more support, and hold the shoe in place reasonably well.

However, two options that you might consider.

1) Riding shoes. There was a recent topic about "New, vintage style riding shoes for toeclips. They should give better support in the critical areas and help hold the feet better.

2) Clipless (SPD, and various others).
I was a late adopter of clipless, but did it a couple of years ago as my riding started increasing of my Campy style pedals not holding my street/walking shoes securely and creating hot-spots.
The move to clipless was easy... and I absolutely love them. They hold the feet well, are comfy, and are reasonably good to walk in. I went with SPD (very common, and walkable). I like the idea of minimal float. A little is fine, but I don't need more than I get with the SPD.
Old 01-09-20, 11:52 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 324 Posts
These might work for you.

https://www.ebay.com/i/332375462481?...iABEgKpzvD_BwE
Old 01-09-20, 04:47 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 3315 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 455 Posts
Quill pedals with toe clips were meant to be used with rigid soled cycling shoes with cleats that locked into the pedals by cinching down the strap. Without those shoes quill pedals and toe clips don't offer any advantage. Back in the 1970s-'80s I used to commute on a road bike with quill pedals and toe clips, and I'd usually wear casual shoes with the straps loose so I could set a foot down easily in traffic stops. It was less efficient than using my Detto Pietros, but I didn't like being strapped in on commutes -- too many stops and unexpected situations.

I wouldn't go back to toe clips and cleated shoes. Clipless is much better. And I use mountain bike style platform pedals on my hybrids and wear casual shoes (or boots in winter). Works fine. No need for toe clips or straps. The pins on good platform pedals grip shoe soles better than quill pedals ever did.

Issi pedals -- Thump and Stomp -- are great values in grippy platform pedals, especially with shoes that are also comfortable for walking.
Old 01-09-20, 04:53 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 192 Posts
Since you're not using slotted cleats, something like the MKS "Urban Platform" pedal would likely work for you. They're based on the old Lyotard mod. 23 "Marcel Berthet" pedals, but modernized with sealed bearings and an aluminum body:

https://www.amazon.com/MKS-URBAN-PLA.../dp/B007T3JXYK
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 01-10-20, 02:36 PM
joedab

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the original post, it was only implied, but I am not interested in clipless or any bicycle-specific shoes as I like commuting without the need to change shoes. The canvas all-stars being so narrow actually fit well in quills, but would like to know if there are any other toe-clip people out there who have found more supportive quills. I like being strapped in so my foot stays in one place.

The thing I don't get about the MKS GR-10 pedals (of which I have a pair) is how a shelf forms where the toe clip attaches, whereas many other pedals mount the clips flush with the pedal surface. I haven't tried this yet, but imagine it would be uncomfortable at best or not work at all. The MKS steel toe clips (see first pic) I use have very little room to reduce height below the point of being flush with the pedal surface.

Old 01-10-20, 04:46 PM
RiceAWay

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Pearl Izumi and others make a cheap type of canvas SpD shoe that you can walk around in fine. It is a whole lot easier to learn to twist out of a SpD than to pull out of a Toe Clip. The cheap grade of Shimano SpD also costs about the same as a platform pedal and the toe clips can hang up. Shimano maked their cheaper SpD's so that you have to step on them harder to clip into and easy to twist out. Their more expensive off-road SpD's are the opposite. I have had those plastic toe clips loosen the connecting screw and rotate and lock my foot in. Most people usually step off on just one side and if that it the one that locks up you can fall over quite easily (says the man with a bone chip in his hip).
Old 01-11-20, 08:49 PM
blakcloud 

Bikes: Custom Winter Cycles flat bar road bike, Trek Domane SL6, Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Brompton S/M3L (modified)

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by joedab View Post
In the original post, it was only implied, but I am not interested in clipless or any bicycle-specific shoes as I like commuting without the need to change shoes. The canvas all-stars being so narrow actually fit well in quills, but would like to know if there are any other toe-clip people out there who have found more supportive quills. I like being strapped in so my foot stays in one place.

The thing I don't get about the MKS GR-10 pedals (of which I have a pair) is how a shelf forms where the toe clip attaches, whereas many other pedals mount the clips flush with the pedal surface. I haven't tried this yet, but imagine it would be uncomfortable at best or not work at all. The MKS steel toe clips (see first pic) I use have very little room to reduce height below the point of being flush with the pedal surface.
To solve the problem on the pedal and toe clip platform, I would use two tire valve nuts to put a little space between the pedal and the toe clip. This will help pull the toe clip out enough to clear the lip.
Old 01-11-20, 09:22 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by blakcloud View Post
To solve the problem on the pedal and toe clip platform, I would use two tire valve nuts to put a little space between the pedal and the toe clip. This will help pull the toe clip out enough to clear the lip.
I'd be tempted to grind, or file down the pedals. But MKS does also sell 1mm spacers.

https://www.mkspedal.com/?q=en/product/node/401

You could also make an adequate spacer with either steel or aluminum plate or flat bar, and a drill.
Old 01-11-20, 09:24 PM
CliffordK

It depends on your needs. I've used a variety of recessed cleat SPD shoes. Some are better for walking than others. But, I'm happy to do shopping and errands wearing the SPD shoes.

If I'm off the bike all day, I do typically like to change shoes, but it isn't necessary.