Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Opinions on Motobecane Elite Trail LTD?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-20, 04:41 PM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 49 Posts

After doing a bit of mountain biking in Colorado last summer on a rented bike, I've been kicking around the idea of getting a dedicated trail bike of my own. I wouldn't be doing jumps or drops or anything technical, just getting out there and mucking about on some singletrack. I debated getting an old school 80s/90s mountain bike without suspension and just upgrading the tires, as they're dirt cheap and a dime a dozen, but saw on Facebook today a guy near me selling a very nice looking Motobecane Elite Trail LTD in my size for $225. That's more than I was hoping to spend but it seemed like a bit of a deal, and I know BD bikes are held in fairly high esteem around here. Thoughts?

EDIT:
Here's the Bikes Direct listing for the bike in question. Seller says it's a 2018 and wants $225 for it.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...disc-brake.htm

Last edited by Miradaman; 01-17-20 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-17-20, 04:48 PM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
It seems to get good reviews on the mtb specific forums.

If it fits you, and will do the type of riding you want to do, it can likely be a satisfactory purchase. That said, and to quote the Cajun carnival barker, "You pays you money and takes you chances."

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
Old 01-17-20, 04:53 PM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

[QUOTE=BookFinder;21288749]

If it fits you, and will do the type of riding you want to do, it can likely be a satisfactory purchase.

I guess that's part of my question. It's billed as an "Adventure Hydrid" or some such thing. Does that mean its more of a wannabe mountain bike mean primarily for road use like a Walmart mtb, or is it actually purpose built for off-road riding?
Old 01-18-20, 08:41 AM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
If you’re looking for a single track riding mountain bike, I would keep looking.
Likes For grubetown:
Old 01-18-20, 11:46 AM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
What grubetown said.

It all boils down to how you plan to use it. The last time I bought a new bike was in 2003. Truth told, the only bikes I've owned that were ridden strictly as they were designed to be ridden were road bikes. Other than that (and design intentions notwithstanding), every bike I've owned has been treated like a hybrid.

So - will the bike you are looking at stand up to what you want to do?

If yes, snag it.

If not, keep looking!

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
Likes For BookFinder:
Old 01-18-20, 12:33 PM
Miradaman

Originally Posted by grubetown
If you’re looking for a single track riding mountain bike, I would keep looking.
Yeah, I was kind of suspecting that. "Adventure hybrid", relatively skinny tires, etc. I might just go through with my original plan and get an 80s/90s rigid mountain bike for $50 and upgrade the tires if need be...