Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Purchase Contracts?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Purchase Contracts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-20, 12:42 PM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Purchase Contracts?

For those of you that sell your frames/bikes to the public, do you have some sort of a purchase contract or agreement that is signed by the customer? Or perhaps some sort of document that lists warranty coverage and non-covered items or damage scenarios?

I'm working on getting some of my bikes into an LBS and wondering about this.

ALL advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Brandon
Old 01-21-20, 07:29 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
My only comment is to make sure you have insurance.
Old 01-21-20, 07:39 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Yes, a contract agreement is needed if you are supplying frames to a shop for resale. I do not sell frames, but have done things similar to this in other industries. If you supply a warranty with the frame, then you need to draft the warranty and have it go with each frame. Lots of legal templates online available for this stuff.

As for insurance, any shop that takes on your frames should insist that you have adequate insurance to cover any problems that can be related to your frames. If they don't do that, the shop is asking for it. Get insurance.
Old 01-21-20, 10:45 PM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks guys. I've got insurance so that's not an issue. I'll have a look for those templates and see what I find.
Old 01-21-20, 10:59 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Besides protecting their financial interests (liabilities) businesses should have a procedure/process that's well thought out WRT the relationships with their customers (and who is the customer? The final rider, or a shop that resales the product?) This is where a conversation with a lawyer is the right step. The inability to do the right planning suggests that basic steps in other areas might also be lacking. When I wanted to start my own bike shop (in 1986) I sat in on a few Small Business Administration seminars and came away with a far better idea as to what being a business was really about and the work needed to be ready. I quickly teamed with a lawyer and an account and still have the accounting relationship 20 years after closing my shop. Andy