Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Secure an expensive commuting bike?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-18, 01:52 PM
shawngs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys and gals, I've just purchased my dream commuting bike but now am nervous about how to best keep it from being stolen while at the office. Any suggestions on bike locks, cables, gps tracking, etc that I should use?
Old 03-22-18, 01:57 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Multiple locks, multiple types of locks.

I keep these on the rack in the office garage - no sense carrying them with me all the time.

Old 03-22-18, 01:59 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
I'm more curious about what you consider a 'dream bike'.

Yeah, multiple and different bikes. Or bring it indoors if possible. Or get a beater bike.
Old 03-22-18, 02:24 PM
shawngs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I'm more curious about what you consider a 'dream bike'.

Yeah, multiple and different bikes. Or bring it indoors if possible. Or get a beater bike.
It’s my personal dream commuter/touring bike that I’ve wanted for years. It may not be everyone’s idea of a “dream bike,” but it’s what I think of for ideal commuting and/or touring. It’s a co-motion americano.
Old 03-22-18, 02:33 PM
mcours2006

That's an awfully expensive bike to be locking up outside.
Old 03-22-18, 07:26 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 79 Posts
If they won't allow you to bring it to the office, maybe they will purchase a bike locker. Let them know your commuting reduces their health care costs and makes you a more alert employee (lots of evidence for this). An incredibly small investment that should be made for all employees.

Google for example fences in their bike parking area and provides tubes and repair tools for their employees. It is not because they like biking. It is because they like good employees who help them with their costs.
Old 03-22-18, 07:46 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Multiple types of locks, so any would-be thief will have to carry different types of tools. Make it look ugly - that's right, hide your nice paint job with an ugly paint job that looks like rust and dirt. Take both your wheels to your desk.
Old 03-22-18, 08:56 PM
shawngs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great ideas, thank you! It’s a large enough company that purchasing a bike locker would not affect them and would likely be a great PR move.
Old 03-22-18, 09:00 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Bike locker is the ideal and most effective solution.
Old 03-23-18, 06:17 AM
mcours2006

I still think that's waaay too nice a bike to be left outside.
Old 03-23-18, 09:04 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I'd try to bring it into your office, if you're one of those people encouraged to be productive by having an office with a door. (If so, I'm jealous!)

Second choice would be a protected enclosure; bike locker, special bike room where only cyclists have a key, etc.

If you have to lock it up, think carefully about where you lock it. Close to the front door (lots of foot traffic) is better. A secure attachment point is vital. Be very careful about parking meters or signposts, and if it's a tree, a couple feet in diameter is obviously better than a sapling that can be cut in a couple seconds. Well-secured bike rack or chain link fence post are good ideas.

Do you have insurance that covers the bike?
Old 03-23-18, 01:41 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,471 Times in 1,435 Posts
It depends on where you are. Some rural areas are fine with a fancy bike outside. Even some suburban areas are, too.

I work on a college campus, and I see nice bikes locked up routinely. The crime rate is pretty low here. I leave my fancy bike on the rack. I also leave my tool bag on the bike, which I wouldn't do on the street.

If you are in a place where bike crime is bad, no lock will solve that, and neither will using many locks simultaneously.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-23-18, 02:53 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I'd try to bring it into your office, if you're one of those people encouraged to be productive by having an office with a door. (If so, I'm jealous!)

Second choice would be a protected enclosure; bike locker, special bike room where only cyclists have a key, etc.

If you have to lock it up, think carefully about where you lock it. Close to the front door (lots of foot traffic) is better. A secure attachment point is vital. Be very careful about parking meters or signposts, and if it's a tree, a couple feet in diameter is obviously better than a sapling that can be cut in a couple seconds. Well-secured bike rack or chain link fence post are good ideas.

Do you have insurance that covers the bike?

+1 on bringing it inside - even if you don't know if this is ok where you work, sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness. Also, it will give you an instant "cool" factor and you'll notice people swinging by your cube of office to chat about your bike! If you catch grief for it then you can politely remind them of the benefits from encouraging, rather than discouraging biking to work.

I don't buy the "buy a beater" argument. Is this is your best bike, you should ride it the most. Bikes were meant to be ridden. The risks of theft can be mitigated by good locks and good insurance.

I am lucky, my office building has secure storage in the basement with key card access and live and video surveillance. We also have showers and lockers down there.

Some guys on this thread know that already and they hate me for it. That said, my bike is the cheapest one down there!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
LangsterCommuter.jpg (860.7 KB, 334 views)
Old 03-23-18, 03:09 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
At my last job they had rather miserable wooden bike shelters that were years past their prime and not remotely dry inside (though they did keep rain off the bikes). The boxes were in full view of the close by guard shack that was always manned. My last two years, they removed the boxes and built a large bus shelter-like semi enclosure with bike racks and a stack of lockers. Glass sides so everything was visible from the guard shack. Only drawback, it was open to the street-side, ie the south, frm which the winter storms came. So our bikes did not stay dry. (A "visor" coming down a few feet from the top would have made a big difference and would have been easy to add, but I didn't stay there long enough to advocate for it.) Other than the rain issue, the set-up was first class. Then, a few steps after entering the front gate, I detoured, ducked in to the medical and took a shower! Now I was ready for work!

I kept enough clothes in my locker to get me through the week and drove in one day with a new set or put panniers on the bike. Great setup. Never had to worry about my bike.

Ben
Old 03-23-18, 03:14 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
A trick if you bring your bike in and ride in the rain to make you a lot more popular with the janitors and bean counters. Lay a 6' carpet runner (if you have carpet) or one of those rubber runners for floors) where you store your bike. Then your filthy bike will just drip onto the runner and no further. Periodically you roll it up, take it outside and clean it.

Ben
Old 03-24-18, 10:50 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I'm not in a particularly high crime area but commute on my Rivendell Hunqapillar on a regular basis. I use an Abus ring lock on the rear wheel supplemented with a cable, or U-lock (if I'm in a suspicious part of town).

Marc
Old 03-24-18, 11:53 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Going for Pitlock, and security bolt substitutes?

Abus Bordo 6500.. I'm getting a 2nd one, special ordered, with same key , so they can be linked together..

https://www.abus.com/eng/Mobile-Secu...NIT-XPlus-6500,,

new is a longer bar Big bordo 6500 to reach around a little larger thing, or a thing further away...to lock to...

https://mobilesecurity.abus.com/eng/...xplus-big-6500

My other, Rohloff bike, has an Axa ring lock on the frame and a security chain to lock it to stuff..

But(other than you bought your new favorite) why not a folding bike?

bring it in, a Brompton will fit under your desk. It's sufficiently expensive..
and there are people making More Titanium parts, to add to what the factory does..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-24-18 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-24-18, 01:55 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by shawngs
...co-motion americano.
I'd ride that only if I had an office (with locking door).

Keep it at home, with a good insurance policy in force.
Old 03-24-18, 04:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by shawngs
Hey guys and gals, I've just purchased my dream commuting bike but now am nervous about how to best keep it from being stolen while at the office. Any suggestions on bike locks, cables, gps tracking, etc that I should use?

N+1,

get a cheaper bike you can afford to lose, save the expensive new one for touring/riding on your weekends and holidays.

Or do you feel compelled to show it off to the people at the office?

Old 03-24-18, 06:15 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
N+1,
get a cheaper bike you can afford to lose, save the expensive new one for touring/riding on your weekends and holidays.
Kinda agree. It's great to have a nice bike, but it's nicer to keep it. My commuting bike, which I would be devastated to lose, is of some quality but has, over the years, developed a patina that makes it look like a beater. Since crooks go for the flashy bikes, I typically lock mine up next to a nice bike - something like yours.
Old 03-25-18, 10:09 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6969 Post(s)
Liked 10,967 Times in 4,692 Posts
If possible, just bring the bike inside and park it in your office. If you commute in foul weather, carry along a clean rag to wipe down the bike before taking it inside.

This is obviously a solution only if your workplace is amenable to it...You might feel self-conscious for a day or two, but then people will quickly get accustomed to it, and you (and your bike) might become a conversation starter. In my office, even the custodians (who have to clean up any messes I might make) get a kick out of seeing me come in with my bike. (I am careful to not track in mud and snow with my bike.)

I've been doing this for about 15 years, and no one has ever looked sideways at me. 'Course, I'm in academia, where people are tolerant and quirks are commonplace.

Last edited by Koyote; 03-25-18 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-25-18, 11:13 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006

^That^

No consumer lock will stop a bike thief. In fact no bike lock is really more than a mild annoyance to a prepared professional thief.

Locally we just had a story in the paper here about bike theft. Fat bikes are in season:

Fat bikes, big losses: Lincoln cyclists feel targeted by ?sophisticated? thieves | Crime and Courts | journalstar.com

I rode with all those folks...and all of them owned and knew how to operated the best consumer locks money can buy.
Old 03-26-18, 07:48 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,471 Times in 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by laracraft
You must effectively all the security
I think you're missing a verb.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-26-18, 11:49 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
No consumer lock will stop a bike thief. In fact no bike lock is really more than a mild annoyance to a prepared professional thief.
Yep. $120 cordless angle grinder will zip through any bike lock in existence in just a few minutes.
Old 03-27-18, 09:47 PM
donglebutter

Bikes: Salsa Fargo GX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sweet!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.