Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Recommendation for steel commuter bike

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Recommendation for steel commuter bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-18, 09:01 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I would suggest Soma, with the Tange Prestige and Infinity tubing, they are about the lightest production steel around. I have a Buena Vista and even with two racks, fenders and a Nuvinci (5lb) hub, it is just over 27 lbs.

Marc
Old 04-23-18, 05:43 AM
zaxmalloy

Bikes: Specialized Fatboy (I call her Big Orange), FELT Carbon F FRD Custom Road Bike, Salsa Vaya, Giant Escape

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikarad
I'm Salsa bike rider and I love my Marrakesh(31lbs) for commuting. 26Km each way. But they have the Vaya, which is a light touring /gravel bike with carbon fork and mechanical disk breaks. It's all in at 24ish lbs. I test rode one of these when I was shopping for my touring bike and it's pretty nice feeling. That said I don't think you need to fret about a super light bike for commuting. The mech. disc brakes are Avid BB7's , which are pretty good, and super easy to adjust/repair. The carbon forks that are made these days are superior to any carbon stuff made in the past. The frame can also handle up to a 700cX 50mm tire(no fenders). I also think the price point for Salsa bikes is pretty good for what you get.

Originally Posted by chas58
I bought a '90's steel race bike off craigs list (20lbs). New steel tends to be a bit more towards bikepacking and heavy duty usage - unless you live in the UK and can get some of those nice Genesis bikes...

Specialized had a Steel version of the Langster and the Allez a couple of years ago if you can score one of those.

I've seen some good steel CX bikes on Craig list too. Those make excellent commuter bikes.
I have this combination as my primary commuting duo once fat bike season is over (which is just now in Minnesota). I use an old Raleigh C-50 ($20 at a garage sale) and a Salsa Vaya. The Raleigh is durable, upright, flat handle bar, sure-footed and no one would ever think to steal it. I restored it 'enough' to be safe and comfortable and figure I'll trade it out or donate it eventually. The Vaya is more planted, has better gearing, has drops for changing hand positions and is just a delight to ride....but with a Brooks saddle especially can be a target for theives.

The one I ride depends on the weather and my mood.
Old 04-23-18, 07:48 AM
roashru

Bikes: sport touring with small front back baskets. 17 mph

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anything sport touring would be close can get fenders too. if hauling anything hitting bumps my need to go cyclocross.
Old 04-30-18, 09:07 PM
roashru

Bikes: sport touring with small front back baskets. 17 mph

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
update: i have owened a sport touring bicycle they are terrible grocery getters the frame is light and starts to wiggle with too much cargo.

Last edited by roashru; 04-30-18 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-06-18, 08:16 PM
capper66

Bikes: 2007 Trek 4500 ; 2015 Norco Sight C 7.3 ; 2016 Giant Escape 2 City ; 2017 Fuji Touring ; 2018 Salsa Marrakesh

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fuji

i bought a Fuji Touring for touring last October and then in December bought a Salsa Marrakech
The Fuji is now my commuter.
Old 05-06-18, 10:12 PM
Bang0Bang00
41 calories/30 min typing

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 Specialized Langster commuter (2007 Aluminum Fixed)

If steel is your thing, cool!

If you're an all weather rider, disc brakes and aluminum might be worth considering.
Old 05-07-18, 03:39 AM
Tokumeino

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm personally on my way for a custom build with a Surly Pack Rat : steel, 650B to increase agility and comfort, optimized for front weight carrying (much better for commuting in a city IMO).