Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Zipp Service Course SL70 bars -- opinions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-19, 07:03 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts

I need to replace the stock bars that came on my CAAD12 with narrower ones. I'm considering the Zipp Service Course SL70 (non-ergo) bars. I would appreciate thoughts or feedback from anyone who is using these bars.

Thanks,
robert
Old 01-25-19, 07:20 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
I don't know.. but if they're non-ergo, what's there to comment on? They are bars of a specific dimension that the folks who buy them, find suits them.
Old 01-25-19, 10:45 PM
Carverbiker

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not sure there is much to say, they are good bars. If you like to have a flat transition to the hoods these bars have a slight incline so the hoods/bar junction is pretty flat. Also has some nice pre-drilled holes for di2 installation if you are running that.
Old 01-26-19, 03:08 PM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Not any better than most aluminum/alloy bars. Your just paying more for the Zipp logo.
Old 01-26-19, 06:27 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
They seem like good bars to me. Reach is 70 and drop 128, which is more compact than bars of old. Made from 7050 alloy, which is stronger than 6061 and thus they can be made thinner and lighter. If you can find a good price on them I can't think of anything not to like.
Old 01-26-19, 08:08 PM
Robert A

What is the advantage of a compact bar? Or more specifically, what kind of a rider, or body geometry, lends itself to compact vs. traditional bars?
Originally Posted by Nessism
They seem like good bars to me. Reach is 70 and drop 128, which is more compact than bars of old. Made from 7050 alloy, which is stronger than 6061 and thus they can be made thinner and lighter. If you can find a good price on them I can't think of anything not to like.
Old 01-26-19, 08:57 PM
HenryK

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Lemond Carbon Buenos Aires, Motobecane LeChampion Ti, CAAD9, CIOCC Designer 84 SLX, Vassago Bandersnatch

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Just check the actual measurements on Zipp Bars, I have SL70 ergo's and they run wide compared to other bars. example Deda's are measured from the outside to outside at the end of drops, 3T's ctc at the end of the drops. I believe the Zipp's are measured across the tops ctc where the shifters go. If you run size 44 bars now, you will have to go to a 42 or maybe a 40 in a Zipp to get roughly the same sizing.
Old 01-26-19, 09:13 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
What is the advantage of a compact bar? Or more specifically, what kind of a rider, or body geometry, lends itself to compact vs. traditional bars?

It's just personal preference mostly. If you are running STI's then the reach to the levers can get a little long for some people and the compact bars help in that regard. Overall I think reach and drop has been trending towards more compact in recent years, at least a little, compared to a while back.
Old 01-26-19, 09:14 PM
Robert A

I got the Zipp bars in 40cm to replace the Cannondale C2 compact bars in 42cm. The Zipp bars seem wide, though they are (slightly) narrower than the C-dale bars when I line them up together. I haven't installed the Zipp, hence the reason for my OP. I'm trying to decide whether to get the bars in a 38cm, or just buy a C-dale bar in 40cm on eBay.

The main issue I'm trying to solve is not feeling comfortable or stable on the drops.

Originally Posted by HenryK
Just check the actual measurements on Zipp Bars, I have SL70 ergo's and they run wide compared to other bars. example Deda's are measured from the outside to outside at the end of drops, 3T's ctc at the end of the drops. I believe the Zipp's are measured across the tops ctc where the shifters go. If you run size 44 bars now, you will have to go to a 42 or maybe a 40 in a Zipp to get roughly the same sizing.
Old 01-26-19, 09:17 PM
Robert A

What are STI's?

With my Cannondale compact bars, it's difficult for me to reach the brake levers from the drops. Is there a particular kind of bar shape that make this easier? I think the Zipp SL70 has slightly less reach and drop and the C2 bars.

Originally Posted by Nessism
It's just personal preference mostly. If you are running STI's then the reach to the levers can get a little long for some people and the compact bars help in that regard. Overall I think reach and drop has been trending towards more compact in recent years, at least a little, compared to a while back.
Old 01-26-19, 09:29 PM
HenryK

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Lemond Carbon Buenos Aires, Motobecane LeChampion Ti, CAAD9, CIOCC Designer 84 SLX, Vassago Bandersnatch

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
STI's are just a term for the integrated Shift/Brake lever units. Originally by Shimano (Shimano Total Integration) but used generically now