Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Not Taking Care of a Brooks Saddle

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Not Taking Care of a Brooks Saddle

Old 10-05-18, 09:46 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
@I-Like-To-Bike, I like your bikes.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-05-18, 10:08 PM
Roadie Fixie

Bikes: Bianchi Sempre, Surly Steamroller, and Somec Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes

My question is this, if you already know you are not going to use the Brooks, and you already "know" it takes so much time to care for it, then why even start the thread, only to dismiss any comments based on real world experience with the seat? Just wondering.
What I knew going into this thread was that I didn’t want to take any additional care of the Brooks, not that I didn’t want to use it.

I wanted to know what would happen if I didn’t take care of it, which you consequently answered in your reply as did others, who I thank for the information.

However, my question wasn’t if the care is reasonable or one is lazy for not wanting to spend a few seconds everytime it’s raining to cover it.

i was simply responding to your dismissive tone of anybody who might not want to worry about a part of his/her bike that he/she previously didn’t have to worry about.
Old 10-05-18, 10:16 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,244 Times in 717 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadie Fixie

What I knew going into this thread was that I didn’t want to take any additional care of the Brooks, not that I didn’t want to use it.

I wanted to know what would happen if I didn’t take care of it, which you consequently answered in your reply as did others, who I thank for the information.

However, my question wasn’t if the care is reasonable or one is lazy for not wanting to spend a few seconds everytime it’s raining to cover it.

i was simply responding to your dismissive tone of anybody who might not want to worry about a part of his/her bike that he/she previously didn’t have to worry about.
No problem. As I said before though, most people overthink it and exaggerate the amount of care it needs. Short of sitting in poring rain for hours on end, it really isn't an issue. And even then, the seat will dry out. Mine has been soaked numerous times with no ill effect. Yes, it's best to not ride them soaking wet, but I have ridden mine home after being rained on for a couple of hours straight, and I just didn't sit hard on the seat, I took some of the weight off using my legs. As I said before, my brother's has not been cared for at all, and it is still in use, and it is well over 40 years old.

For me though, covering it while inside at work is a safe bet, and takes no real time to do. If you do decide to use it, carry a shower cap, it is light, can be stuffed under the seat, or in a bag. Mine is always in one of my bags. They even fit in pockets.

If you are going to use it, and want to do absolutely nothing with it. Use that as an experiment and let us know how it works out. Could be interesting.
Old 10-06-18, 09:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
If very dry it can tear, like cardboard...
Old 10-06-18, 09:48 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@I-Like-To-Bike, I like your bikes.
Thank you, I like them too.
Old 10-07-18, 07:48 PM
Roadie Fixie

Bikes: Bianchi Sempre, Surly Steamroller, and Somec Pista

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
No problem. As I said before though, most people overthink it and exaggerate the amount of care it needs. Short of sitting in poring rain for hours on end, it really isn't an issue. And even then, the seat will dry out. Mine has been soaked numerous times with no ill effect. Yes, it's best to not ride them soaking wet, but I have ridden mine home after being rained on for a couple of hours straight, and I just didn't sit hard on the seat, I took some of the weight off using my legs. As I said before, my brother's has not been cared for at all, and it is still in use, and it is well over 40 years old.

For me though, covering it while inside at work is a safe bet, and takes no real time to do. If you do decide to use it, carry a shower cap, it is light, can be stuffed under the seat, or in a bag. Mine is always in one of my bags. They even fit in pockets.

If you are going to use it, and want to do absolutely nothing with it. Use that as an experiment and let us know how it works out. Could be interesting.
Yes, I'll do that, although as some people alluded to here, it could be a long time before any ill-effects kick in. As I mentioned before, I might get some kind of cover and just leave it on semi-permanently.

It would be interesting to see, as I feel a lot of people who talk about Brooks take good care of their saddles, and they consequentially last forever. My dad had one growing up, and I always made fun of him when we had to stop riding to find a connivence store to get a plastic bag when it started raining on one of our rides. His saddle is still going strong over a decade later, but I just wonder what would have happened if he didn't do what he did.
Old 10-07-18, 08:20 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
Despite several recommendations for the Brooks fabric-covered neoprene saddles (e.g. C17) as being very weather-resistant, the discussion turns back to Brooks leather saddles (e.g. B17), which are only somewhat weather-resistant.

My experience is that the most weather-resistant (and for my ass the most comfortable) leather saddle is made by Selle Anatomica in their "watershed" leather. I stopped using my SA on my commuting bike only because my heft eventually bends the rails, but I still love it on my road bike.
Old 01-22-19, 09:31 PM
Wrenchnride

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Natchez 1995 Trek Multitrack 750 2015 Randonee

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Around 1978 a customer brought the bike he had bought at the beginning of the summer in for the free tune-up we offered. His only complaints were the pedals (Campy) and saddle (Brooks B17). I replaced them with the pedals and saddle of his choice and put his old pedals and saddle in a plastic bag cable tied to the handlebars, as it was our practice to return all replaced parts to the customer. When he came to pick up the bike he handed me the bag and said, “I don’t want these.” Forty years later I’m still riding the Brooks saddle and it’s the most comfortable saddle I’ve ever owned. It has gotten very little care in that time...maybe two or three rub downs with Proofhide. I’m not advocating neglect, but I believe these saddles are tougher than most people think.
Old 01-23-19, 07:51 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
With any leather saddle, the important thing is: don't ride it when it's soaking wet.

Important to understand that not every leather saddle is the same. That's especially true of an older saddle. It is entirely true that a Brooks saddle can tolerate a lot of exposure to the elements without visible damage. It's kinda like a cat with its proverbial nine lives; in OP's case we don't know what this saddle has already been through. It may be on its last life.

Applying Proofide to the top and bottom is the correct treatment for some, but not all saddles. If the saddle has dried out (as a result of having gotten soaked and dried repeatedly, which leeches a lot of soluble material out of the leather) then Proofide will do some good. If the leather is still supple, Proofide may soften it to the point that it will stretch permanently.

SO my advice for the OP: you're going to have to make up your own mind about what your saddle needs. None of us has seen it, and none of us can offer specific advice. What you decide will be either the right thing or the wrong thing, and you won't know right away. Sorry, it's a learning experience.
Old 01-23-19, 01:22 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
My 1st Brooks, a Team Pro, bought in '74, got a 1 time treatment of Proofide while hot, 100f , and upside down in the Oven..

a table spoon worth of it was absorbed, like a sponge, and the underside still has a waxy surface from the melted waxes re solidifying ..

I now own 2, It got the same treatment..

Old 01-25-19, 03:02 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
Getting wet is not too bad for leather IME, but letting it dry under a scorching sun can cause cracking.
Old 01-25-19, 04:45 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadie Fixie
Now that someone has resurrected this thread, what did you end up doing? I see that you angered the Brooks cult a little bit, which always gets a chuckle out of me, but now I'm starting to feel tempted to take a sip of the kool-aid myself! Sooo...

I'm in NYC as well, and I've been messing around with quite a few saddles to try and find something that I really like. So if you have decided against using the Brooks, but still have it, i'd be willing to setup a swap (even temporary) for one of my "test" saddles. I'm currently messing around with a Selle Italia Turbo, a Vetta, a Fizik Antares, a Fizik Antares VS, a Fizik Arione and a Selle Royal Seta, if any of those strike your fancy.
Old 01-25-19, 06:23 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
My Brooks B67 is the most durable saddle I have owned, The other ones were typically broken after a few years. I don't do any funny stuff with Proofhide or covers -- just ride it every workday .
Old 01-25-19, 10:43 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
I used a Serfas waterproof saddle cover on my commuter. Not only did it protect from the elements, it also effectively camouflaged my Brooks Champion Flyer from the more than casual viewer. The black color of the cover blended into the black color of the Brooks' frame. Some of my friends were surprised that I actually had a Brooks saddle on the bike! In nicer weather and less theft prone areas, I could remove the cover.

https://www.serfas.com/shop/products...-saddle-cover/

I also used a security seat binder bolt from Bicyclecolts.com to have added security..

https://www.bicyclebolts.com/collect...ty-allen-bolts

Last edited by elcraft; 01-25-19 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-28-19, 04:40 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I have given up tending a brooks saddle other than putting a bag over it when I park it outside when rain is possible. But the top needs no treatment, it is protected by my butt or plastic bag, the bottom needs no treatment, it is protected by the fender and the toolbag plus plastic bag stuffed under it when moving.

This might be different in an arid environment, but I actually live in a pretty arid environment 3 months out of the year anyway and the leather does not degrade across 10s of thousands of miles.
Old 02-04-19, 08:05 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 47 Posts
I've been using them for years for every type of riding. All my saddles have been soaking wet at one time or another and have survived just fine. I use KIWI Mink Oil Paste on them once or twice a year. I do have a helmet cover I use in the rain and put on my saddle when I park, that's about it. All the fretting over getting them wet is just paranoia.

Marc
Old 02-04-19, 08:12 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Most Brooks saddles I see are on commuters that are just left outside and they weather just fine.

I used to live overlooking Gråbrødretorv and most bikes lying on the ground had Brooks or related and they worked just fine.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gr%C...w=1280&bih=618
Old 02-04-19, 08:32 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
I'm lazy, I use Nikwax Water Based Wax. Can apply it when the leather is wet (it actually works better that way, penetrates more and slows drying to reduce cracking). It's easy to apply. And it doesn't soften leather at all, so you can keep applying it. I just keep slathering it on, it only soaks in where the leather is not water proof, leave it for a bit and wipe off the excess. Eventually you reach the stage where the leather is impregnated pretty well and your seat won't get wet in anything other than a flood or a monsoon. Really good for leather boots too, not animal based, so won't cause mould or rot. https://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/product...d=74&activity=