Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campy 12 speed chain too long?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-09-20, 03:15 PM
Lloydb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I知 just getting back into cycling with my first new bike to replace my 9 speed Campy Record. I ordered my new (Marinoni Piuma Ti) with Record components, and a compact crankset. I enjoyed unpacking it and tuning it up but I知 wondering if the chain is too long? It痴 sitting on the chainstay while resting in its lowest gears. I知 wondering if that might be why I知 having trouble getting the shifting right.

Last edited by Lloydb; 01-09-20 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-09-20, 04:58 PM
Buzzkill53120

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 2019, Trek Trek Madone 5.1 (2011), Trek 1400 (1991)

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 33 Posts
Was the bike assembled or partially assembled when you received it? Sounds like the chain needs to be shortened. Park Tool has a video on how to properly size up a chain.
Old 01-09-20, 05:16 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
IF the chain is "drooping", either too long or the chain wrap capacity of the RDER is exceeded.
How much slack can you generate when on BIG:BIG?
This is the method I use for a simple check.
Normally, we want more than 1" and less 2".

Old 01-09-20, 05:55 PM
bldegle2
Dangerous Old Man

Bikes: 2 custom built full Carbon road bikes, built by Moi...

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
A very simple way to get it right. Small ring up front, smallest ring in da rear. The chain length is determined by one simple thing, just long enough that the chain does not rub the rear derailleur arm. I will post a pic later, got to run right now...
Old 01-09-20, 09:04 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by bldegle2
A very simple way to get it right. Small ring up front, smallest ring in da rear. The chain length is determined by one simple thing, just long enough that the chain does not rub the rear derailleur arm. I will post a pic later, got to run right now...
Better be sure it is long enough to easily go on big-big or you are in for an unpleasant surprise one day.
Old 01-09-20, 09:13 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Better be sure it is long enough to easily go on big-big or you are in for an unpleasant surprise one day.
It would be. Small/small sizing optimized for the longest chain possible your derailleurs support. As opposed to big/big that optimizes based on the shortest possible chain size for the given cogs.
Old 01-09-20, 09:16 PM
bldegle2
Dangerous Old Man

^^^^^^thank you, what he said....^^^^^^^^
Old 01-09-20, 09:53 PM
Lloydb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your responses tell me I was on the right track. The bike came just partially disassembled, the drive train was complete. However, I asked for a compact crank, I assume that would require a shorter chain as well? Maybe that wasn稚 installed/shortened. Thanks!
Old 01-09-20, 09:57 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Look up the manual for that rear derailleur.
Old 01-10-20, 06:03 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by bldegle2
This method works for an average triple crank, not so well for doubles. Not for my gravel bike, for instance.
Old 01-10-20, 08:09 AM
bldegle2
Dangerous Old Man

I build all my rides up from bare frames. I run a 50/33 (special ring made in France for 5 bolt 110 BCD) and a 11/34 in da rear. As long as you don't go way out of spec with the rear derailleur and cassette, it works all the time. What you are looking at is a medium cage 4600 derailleur rated for 30 max, runs the 34 like a dream. Same for my other unit, same specs (50/33, 11/34), running a 4700 rear derailleur rated for 32 max, but sporting a 11/34 also. Both are medium cage (GS)....if I make the chain the next size longer the derailleur arm will rub the chain as the end/tip will be higher and interfere with the chain...
Old 01-10-20, 08:44 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
It would be. Small/small sizing optimized for the longest chain possible your derailleurs support.
Not necessarily. If the gearing exceeds the rear derailleur's chain wrap capacity, then having no slack in small-small could give a chain too short to allow big-big. I've done that on several bikes since I run triple cranks and replace the OEM 30T granny chainring with a 26T. Small-small is too slack to use but big-big is still functional. There is really never any need for small-small or big-big but big-big can be selected inadvertently and must work.

This situation is unlikely on a new bike set up by the manufacture but it can be done.
Old 01-10-20, 09:04 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Be careful if the chain is a Campy 10, 11 or 12. All use a special joining pin that requires a Campy tool to install. If the chain must be shortened, you can't just push out a pin and reinstall it, like you could with 9 speed. Although Campy doesn't make a quick link, there are other brands that will fit and work. I remove the original joining pin and the pin next to it, on the same pair of outer plates, then use the quick link to join it.
Old 01-10-20, 09:22 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Sounds like the bike is in all kinds of disarray from the manufacturer. Before sizing your chain correctly, make sure the b-limit screw is set correctly. I advise you to visit park tool YouTube channel and watch everything associated with rear derailleurs (setting, adjustment/indexing) and chain sizing.

and yes the small/small chainsizing technique does work. This assumes correct cassette/derailleur compatibility (manufacturer should not be sending a bike with a cassette that is incompatible with the derailleur) and correct b-limit adjustment.
Old 01-10-20, 01:03 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
"Better be sure it is long enough to easily go on big-big or you are in for an unpleasant surprise one day."

Yep, be real sure of this. My former boss snapped the chain stay on his custom carbon frame by not checking this and then shifting into the big ring while on the largest diameter sprocket out back.
Old 01-10-20, 01:30 PM
bldegle2
Dangerous Old Man

That is what bike stands are for. Always run though the gears before you get it outdoors in the wild....
Old 01-10-20, 01:50 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,532 Posts
here is a good vid for small/small sizing...... i have used this successfully with both 105 5800 compact 50/34 11/32 setup and vintage 52/39 12x28 setups

Old 01-10-20, 03:03 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,691 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Lloydb
I’m just getting back into cycling with my first new bike to replace my 9 speed Campy Record. I ordered my new (Marinoni Piuma Ti) with Record components, and a compact crankset. I enjoyed unpacking it and tuning it up but I’m wondering if the chain is too long? It’s sitting on the chainstay while resting in its lowest gears. I’m wondering if that might be why I’m having trouble getting the shifting right.
I assume by this that the top run of your chain is either touching or very close to the top of the chainstay when it is located on the small chainring and the smallest rear cog. Is the chain visibly sagging along that top run? If it isn't then this condition is normal and that gear combination is one that you would almost never use normally. It would surprise me if the people at Marinoni would not know how to properly size a chain. I have dealt with the staff at Marinoni many times and have always found them to be very knowledgable. Several times I have taken Ergopower shifters in and had them overhaul them while I waited. However, if you have a 34 tooth small chainring and an 11 tooth small cog the chain is bound to be very close to the chainstay on a bike like your Piuma.
Old 02-03-20, 02:14 PM
Lloydb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike manufacturer had me remove the “B Link” and make a few adjustments. It’s all good, chain length was fine! Been enjoying it for a month now, and realized I should close this out. Thanks guys!