Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Shimano Nexus 8 advice

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Shimano Nexus 8 advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-18, 09:32 AM
vorpalchortle

Bikes: Raleigh 3-speed Glider, Raleigh Super Course fixed/SS, All-City Space Horse, H6R Brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano Nexus 8 advice

Hello,
I'm curious about installing a Nexus 8 internal hub on my commuter, but have some questions about shifters.
Currently I have a 10-speed Tiagra setup with Dura Ace down tube shifters indexed for 10-speeds, but believe I can set these to friction.
I swapped out the stock drop bar and brifters for Velo Orange portuer bars with inverse and interrupter brakes levers.
Most shift grip/twist shifters (the Nexus 8 compatible ones I've seen) are for 22.2mm handlebars... I have 23.8mm bars.
I can't use bar end shifters due to the inverse brake levers, and wondering if the 10-speed shifter I have with work with the Nexus 8 speed hub.
Perhaps indexed and not use the last two clicks? Or set it to friction and use by feel?
I do see there are some thumb shifter out there (VO is pricy and Paul has 22.2 and 31.8, but not 23.8...), but the question of compatibility remains.
Or I take apart my handlebar setup and get the 22.2 version of portuer bars.
I think the Tektro RX4.1 inverse brake levers will still fit those and I could probably get the grip shift on the straight part of the handlebar before it curves.
I'd have to get more shims for the interrupter levers as those are made for 31.8mm, the size of the original drop bars.
I appreciate any suggestions, especially about the 8-speed hub with an 10-speed shifter.
Oh, and possibly could keep the front derailleur since I have a chain tensioner I could use and am curious about the extra range of gears.
Thanks!
Old 08-25-18, 09:44 AM
vorpalchortle

Bikes: Raleigh 3-speed Glider, Raleigh Super Course fixed/SS, All-City Space Horse, H6R Brompton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update:
Just learned from Velo Orange that my current inverse brake levers will NOT fit into 22.2mm handlebars.
Old 08-25-18, 09:56 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Nexus/Alfine 8 shifter pull is totally different to derailleur 10 speed shifters, so no.
I don't think it can be used in friction mode either, shifting must be very precise or you risk damaging the hub.
Sorry but you should use only a specific Nexus/Alfine 8 shifter IMO.
Old 08-26-18, 02:46 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
I don't think it can be used in friction mode either, shifting must be very precise or you risk damaging the hub.
+1. It's no fun what one hears when pushing hard on the pedals with the shifting out of alignment.
Old 08-26-18, 08:47 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Micro shift makes a 22.2 with a band clamp, you could make it work. Or it looks like you could combine that with the IRD perch

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 08-26-18 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-26-18, 05:33 PM
zze86

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+1 to all the responses above. The Nexus 8 hub system is completely different from derailleur setups so you won't be able to use anything from your old setup. The Nexus8 requires an indexed system to hold each gear. Microshift makes a thumbshifter that will fit onto 22.2 bars and which works really well.
Old 08-27-18, 07:54 PM
vorpalchortle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much for all the replies.
I also spoke with mechanics at my local bike shop and was told just about the same - don't mix and match.

And today I found this potentially helpful (although it looks overwhelming) page on Sheldon Brown's site:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribshe...able-pull.html
Old 08-28-18, 09:18 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Although you mentioned bar ends are not an option, perhaps this could be configured as a bar-top shifter with a little ingenuity (accessory mount, etc)

I can attest to the quality of these - I used one on an Alfine 8 and absolutely loved it. Extremely high quality shifter and a delight to use.

Jtek Engineering United Kindom

I no longer have the bike (I miss it) but here was the setup: Alfine 8 with J-tek bar-end. ridiculously smooth.

Last edited by canyoneagle; 08-28-18 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-06-18, 10:27 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Here's my experience with a Shimano Nexus hub. Long Story short: a 75 cent spring broke inside, Shimano quit making the part and recommended I buy a new hub. I did, a NuVinci CWP and have been much happier with that.

Simply Cycle: Cool day and I broke the black box
Simply Cycle: Broken Shimano Nexus Hub V-The final chapter
Marc
Old 09-07-18, 11:33 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by vorpalchortle
Update:
Just learned from Velo Orange that my current inverse brake levers will NOT fit into 22.2mm handlebars.
you bore out the inside until it will..

I knew a guy who made bar end shifters fit in MTB bar ends, as he made under the seat steered recumbents,
and that let him fit brakes and shifters on the bar ends , to a straight bar ..
, so owner of bike chose the angle for the bar end & grip..