Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1995 Marin Eldridge Grade

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1995 Marin Eldridge Grade

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-19, 04:41 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 602 Posts
1995 Marin Eldridge Grade - New pics added.

I picked up a 1995 Marin Eldridge Grade MTB a little bit ago, it's in pretty decent shape and mostly original except for the saddle and unfortunately the front wheel but there is no evidence of fork or frame damage. It's the 20.5" frame, the first Marin of any kind I've seen for sale locally with that large a frame. It should clean up nicely, I'm going to try to find the correct front wheel but failing that I'll look for a set of period correct wheels that would be an upgrade. I plan to keep it as original and period correct as possible. Please excuse the pics, they're from the CL, when I get better ones I'll post them but these will have to do for now, they'll at least give you an idea of it's general condition. It's been well used but not abuse, the fork feels good and it looks like it was well maintained most of it's life. The paint and most of the decals are in very decent shape, the grips are shot but the shifters, bars etc. are in very good condition. I have NOS and like new duplicates of the Deore LX shifters and derailleurs but I don't think I'll have to swap any of them out and it even has good tires on it. It wasn't a "steal" but I think I'm still in it right. Now I have to pick which one has to go to make room for it.......

Last edited by Murray Missile; 08-31-19 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-28-19, 04:44 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Nice find! I've got a '92 and love it. One of my favorites among my rigids.
Old 08-28-19, 06:15 PM
Murray Missile 

Found one more non original item, the seat post is a cheap chrome steel one that probably came with the cheap vinyl saddle. Not a big problem, I have several that will do for now.
Old 08-28-19, 08:46 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Hard to tell just from the NDS photos but the cranks look like early White Industries cranks, made under contract by Sugino. Check the backside of the cranks arms to confirm.

At the time, White Industries had two levels of cranks. The top of the line set were made in California by WI, fully CNC machined from billet and then mirror polished. These had the WI logos engraved into the crank arms. The spiders were profiled and back of the arms machined out to shave weight. The second tier cranks were forged by Sugino and then finished with some machining, but not as much as the made-in-the-US version. The WI logo was silk-screened on, which often rubs off. Not quite as fancy but still a high-end cranks that was used OEM on a surprising number of Marin and some other brands' nicer models for a couple years.
Old 08-28-19, 08:56 PM
TenGrainBread 

Another cool part you have on that bike is the brakes - they look like Dia Compe VC-900 cantis. These brakes use the same spring adjustment mechanism as the Paul Component brakes of the same era, and had a really cool height/angle adjustment for the pad holders, like Paul's Motolite v-brakes. Hard to say who came up with these features first.

Some better pics should show if these are actually VC-900s.
Old 08-28-19, 09:16 PM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 63 Posts
I had a number of Marin's from that era. The Eldridge Grade is an upper tier steel bike. I had an Indian Fire Trail from that same year. White industry cranks, I think the brakes were from WTB, but not sure.

Onething I noticed from your pic is the front wheel is on backwards. Those tires are WTB velociraptors, and the tread is facing the wrong direction.

Marin is still in business and in the same town. I would be willing to bet if you called them, they would be a wealth of knowledge on your Eldridge Grade.
Old 08-29-19, 05:32 AM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by Thalia949
I had a number of Marin's from that era. The Eldridge Grade is an upper tier steel bike. I had an Indian Fire Trail from that same year. White industry cranks, I think the brakes were from WTB, but not sure.

Onething I noticed from your pic is the front wheel is on backwards. Those tires are WTB velociraptors, and the tread is facing the wrong direction.

Marin is still in business and in the same town. I would be willing to bet if you called them, they would be a wealth of knowledge on your Eldridge Grade.
The front wheel is a replacement and I'd flip the skewer but since the tube is blown the tire has to come off anyway. The whole bike is getting a tear down, deep cleaned and detailed. I'm keeping this one as original and period correct as possible. I have an aftermarket seat post that is nearly identical to the original but I'm hoping to locate an original eventually. I also hope to find the correct front wheel. I've wanted a "good" original vintage MTB for a long time but they seem to be rather hard to find in my size. My birthday and Christmas just came a little early this year. ��

Last edited by Murray Missile; 08-29-19 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-29-19, 08:15 AM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
The front wheel is a replacement and I'd flip the skewer but since the tube is blown the tire has to come off anyway. The whole bike is getting a tear down, deep cleaned and detailed. I'm keeping this one as original and period correct as possible. I have an aftermarket seat post that is nearly identical to the original but I'm hoping to locate an original eventually. I also hope to find the correct front wheel. I've wanted a "good" original vintage MTB for a long time but they seem to be rather hard to find on my size. My birthday and Christmas just came a little early this year. 😎
Nice to get a Christmas and birthday gift early and all in one! Those steel frames ride great and you will get a lot of miles from that bike. Enjoy!
Likes For Thalia949:
Old 08-31-19, 12:22 PM
Murray Missile 

New pics.

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Hard to tell just from the NDS photos but the cranks look like early White Industries cranks, made under contract by Sugino. Check the backside of the cranks arms to confirm.

At the time, White Industries had two levels of cranks. The top of the line set were made in California by WI, fully CNC machined from billet and then mirror polished. These had the WI logos engraved into the crank arms. The spiders were profiled and back of the arms machined out to shave weight. The second tier cranks were forged by Sugino and then finished with some machining, but not as much as the made-in-the-US version. The WI logo was silk-screened on, which often rubs off. Not quite as fancy but still a high-end cranks that was used OEM on a surprising number of Marin and some other brands' nicer models for a couple years.
The logos are engraved into the crank arms.

Got the front tire to hold air long enough to ride a couple hundred feet. Both shifters turned out to be FUBAR but no problem as I have a pair of the exact same NOS shifters. It turns out only the front rim was replaced, they kept the original Deore LX hub so I'll probably have some better rims laced onto the original hubs. It still has both MARIN bottle cages too. What little I got to ride it felt REALLY good though, I'm looking forward to getting this back into A-1 shape.

Old 08-31-19, 01:54 PM
TenGrainBread 

Nevermind about the Dia Compe brake reference. Those are Marin Lite brakes, made by Tektro.

Can you take some close-ups of the cranks, including the back of the arms? Trying to figure out of there were multiple versions of these.
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 08-31-19, 05:17 PM
Murray Missile 

Nevermind about the Dia Compe brake reference. Those are Marin Lite brakes, made by Tektro.

Can you take some close-ups of the cranks, including the back of the arms? Trying to figure out of there were multiple versions of these.
Thanks for the brake ID, I couldn't see any markings on them. I'll get some crank pics tomorrow, rain's moving in right now.
Old 08-31-19, 05:38 PM
ramones71 

Bikes: 1980 Raleigh Competition G.S., 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1987 Schwinn Voyageur, 1982 Raleigh Superbe, 1983 Specialized Sequoia, 2002 Lemond Buenos Aires, 1998 Marin Eldridge Grade

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
Before you swap those shifters out, flush out the insides with some wd40 and go in after it with some tri flow. Might bring them back to life
Old 08-31-19, 06:32 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I've rebuilt a number of those types of shifters. Most of them you can just work the paw back and forth to get the spring moving. There are 2 on the front shifter, don't remember how many on that back.

A video that explains it a bit (different shifter, same idea)

Old 08-31-19, 07:50 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by ramones71
Before you swap those shifters out, flush out the insides with some wd40 and go in after it with some tri flow. Might bring them back to life
Originally Posted by katsup
I've rebuilt a number of those types of shifters. Most of them you can just work the paw back and forth to get the spring moving. There are 2 on the front shifter, don't remember how many on that back.

A video that explains it a bit (different shifter, same idea)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcwhADt7ANs
Well, if the RH shifter was all there that might work but there are a few essential pieces missing. What's left is very nice cosmetically and I'll keep them for parts but when you already have the exact same shifters only NOS and it's getting completely disassembled anyway no point in messing with them. I appreciate the input, I've resuscitated quite a few shifters that way myself but if you don't have all the pieces it ain't gonna work LOL.

I may have a bigger problem, I haven't tried to air up the forks yet, I don't have a needle, but if the air seals don't hold I'm SOL, replacement seals are "unobtanium" for the Mag 21's. If they won't hold air I'm going to try to find a rebuildable Rockshox Judy from that era with a 8.375" long 1-1/8" threaded steerer. I wish the Judy uppers would fit in the Mag 21 crown, I'd just swap them out.

UPDATE: Found articles online on how to make my own seals or to replace them with a Schrader valve so I should be good.

Last edited by Murray Missile; 08-31-19 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-31-19, 11:55 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
I may have a bigger problem, I haven't tried to air up the forks yet, I don't have a needle, but if the air seals don't hold I'm SOL, replacement seals are "unobtanium" for the Mag 21's. If they won't hold air I'm going to try to find a rebuildable Rockshox Judy from that era with a 8.375" long 1-1/8" threaded steerer. I wish the Judy uppers would fit in the Mag 21 crown, I'd just swap them out.

UPDATE: Found articles online on how to make my own seals or to replace them with a Schrader valve so I should be good.
Hmmm... I had a dead Mag 21 fork that came on my Nishiki Cornice and I googled around and found a rebuild kit that was available at that time (2-3 years ago) for about $80. I surplussed the dead fork on eBay because I wanted to set the bike up rigid anyway, as the rebuild looked like a lot more work than I would want to get into, if that helps.

I've owned a modern MTB with a beefy squish fork, and bashing that thing down through the bumps at full speed was a ton of fun; but I can do the same thing on my rigid bikes. Just a little slower.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 09-01-19, 09:44 AM
Murray Missile 

Well, it looks like I was meant to have this MARIN, turns out I may have the replacement rims I need already, my '89 GT Karakoram came with a like new set of wheels but they were MTB rims laced to DuraAce road hubs. ???? A rather odd combo but the rims are a like new set of Araya RM-395 Team XC 32 hole eyeleted rims and my LX hubs are 32 hole, the rims are also period correct as they were first introduce in '92 or '93 depending on who you ask. Of course I can put the equally nice Dura Ace hubs to good use too. Not sure how well the rims show up but........

Old 09-01-19, 11:54 AM
Murray Missile 

The arms look cast but the logos are stamped not silk screened.

Old 09-01-19, 11:57 AM
TenGrainBread 

Interesting. They are definitely the Sugino version but the two Sugino pairs I have had were screened not stamped. Perhaps they changed this process at some point.

From the internet:
Old 09-01-19, 12:05 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by ramones71
There is a bikemanforu
on that, I wish you better luck than I had, it's supposed to be a common and fairly easy to remedy issue. For me there must have been something else going on as I could never get the gears unstuck and ended up swapping in a cheap thumbie to get the gears working.. YMMV.
Old 09-01-19, 12:10 PM
headtubes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looks ace

Choice
Likes For headtubes:
Old 09-01-19, 12:47 PM
Murray Missile 

Interesting. They are definitely the Sugino version but the two Sugino pairs I have had were screened not stamped. Perhaps they changed this process at some point.

From the internet:
My guess is the stamped Suginos were the transition between the other two.
Old 09-01-19, 03:50 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
I picked up this Eldridge Grade a few months ago. Mine is a few years older than yours. Pretty decent mountain bike for the time. I have swapped out the pedals for SPD clipless pedals. The frame of my bike is 20.5" ctc and 22" ctt.

Likes For rjhammett:
Old 09-01-19, 05:33 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by rjhammett
I picked up this Eldridge Grade a few months ago. Mine is a few years older than yours. Pretty decent mountain bike for the time. I have swapped out the pedals for SPD clipless pedals. The frame of my bike is 20.5" ctc and 22" ctt.

Very clean! 1989?
Old 09-01-19, 05:53 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
Very clean! 1989?
I think it is a '90 or '91 since it has Deore Rapid Fire shifters. The '89 didn't have them.
Likes For rjhammett: