Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Moving from Ultegra SPD-SL to Speedplay (or other pedal system)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-12, 11:09 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts

Hi Guys,

I've been seriously contemplating the move from my Ultegra SPD-SL's to the Speedplay system. Things like better float, better easy for getting in and out (especially being double sided).

While price is not really a factor (I get a substantial discount, close to reseller employee pricing), I would like to know which of the pedals would be most comparable to my Ultegra's in terms of "quality", and which models would be recommended. they have a lot of models / configurations so it becomes hard to see which is the right model.

Thanks!

Last edited by WorldIRC; 08-22-12 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-22-12, 11:16 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I don't believe there's a functional difference between the 3 "levels" (chrome steel, stainless & Ti) besides weight. The Ti spindles have a 180# limit and I'm not interested in snapping my pedals off... ever... so I got stainless.

The old X series seem to be the simplest and have the most float
Light actions reputedly have the easiest "clip in" and are slightly adjustable for release angle (the amount of float remains the same but the angle changes)
Zeros are more configurable - i believe you can independently set the float for toe in and toe out, and you may be able to change the release tension as well but i have never used them. You can also convert them to "fixed" cleats although i have no idea why you would buy speedplay pedals and then fix them so there's no float.

There's no real "quality" different between the three models, just feature differences.

I have X and Light actions but only use the LAs now. I'd probably say go with the stainless model in whatever you choose from a price / performance perspective and then get either light action or zero depending on how much you like to fiddle with your gear.

HTH.
Old 08-22-12, 11:19 AM
abstractform20

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
do you work in a bike shop and are not familiar with speedplays?
Old 08-22-12, 11:22 AM
bubba117

Bikes: 2011 GT Series 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will you be selling your shimanos?
Old 08-22-12, 11:26 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Originally Posted by abstractform20
do you work in a bike shop and are not familiar with speedplays?
No, I do not work in a Bike Shop...but I have access to their pricing
Old 08-22-12, 11:28 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
technically, they are really awesome... but I can't handle the 'skating on wet ice' feeling. you can minimize the float on the Zero model, but I believe what float remains is still near-frictionless.

I would try to sample them before you buy. there are legions of happy customers, but I knew almost immediately they weren't for me.

Last edited by ColinL; 08-22-12 at 11:45 AM. Reason: not X2 :)
Old 08-22-12, 11:34 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
To further comment on ColinL's point - my X-series pedals gave me that riding on an ice cube feeling for a while but I haven't noticed it for years. My light actions don't feel that way - my foot seems to stay where I put it. I've been using them for 14 years though, so it's hard to say what I've acclimated to. I tried my wife's 105 pedals last year and hated them from minute 1.

I have some pretty severe cartilage damage in my right knee, so for me - speedplay pedals are the difference between being able to use clipless pedals or not.
Old 08-22-12, 11:36 AM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I made the switch from Dura Ace SPD-SL pedals to Speedplay. For six years I used chromoly Light Actions and then about two months ago I switched to stainless Zeros and gave me wife the LAs. The LAs are easier to clip into but your adjustability is limited. The Zeros can be adjusted, of course, but are harder to get into. When Zeros are new, they are really hard to clip in but after a dozen or so rides, they get much easier but not as easy as LAs. The chromoly pedals can rust but it never happended to me. The paint on the spindals will wear off. I like the stainless pedals and it would be my choice if money isn't an issue.
Old 08-22-12, 12:08 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Thanks everyone. Skating on ice would likely drive me nuts.
The two things I do not like about my SPD-SL (coming from MTB pedals)

1. Single-sided; such a ***** to get used to...and although I've gotten used to it, it still drives me nuts.
2. The float is perfect, but clipping out can be tough at times.

I am trying to address those...if there are other recommendations for other products, I am open!
Old 08-22-12, 12:13 PM
VegasVic

Bikes: Seven Axiom SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had Zeros, I loved the two sided entry, but they made my feet hurt, so I went back to SPD-SL pedals. I think they wider platform has something to do with it.
Old 08-22-12, 12:23 PM
cvall91

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Although I would like to try out a dual sided entry pedal like speedplays, I'm going to stick to my Dura Ace's for a while. I got them for free basically new so I can't complain. Took some time to get use to, especially when riding in traffic with lots of lights. I don't find them hard to unclip but then again, these are my first clipless so I can't compare. I still feel like the speedplays are too small. At least with my DA's I can ride the bike with sandals or sneakers.
Old 08-22-12, 12:25 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WorldIRC
Thanks everyone. Skating on ice would likely drive me nuts.
The two things I do not like about my SPD-SL (coming from MTB pedals)

1. Single-sided; such a ***** to get used to...and although I've gotten used to it, it still drives me nuts.
2. The float is perfect, but clipping out can be tough at times.

I am trying to address those...if there are other recommendations for other products, I am open!
Zeros do not have that skating on ice feeling. You can reduce the amount of float to zero if you want.
Old 08-22-12, 12:29 PM
UCF Eric
OASAASLLS

Bikes: Pake, Surly Pacer, Kilo TT, Giant XTC, SE Stout, 853 Ritchey MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I switched from SPD-SL to Speedplay and it's taken me some getting used to, but I don't even notice that "skating on ice" feeling anymore. They aren't there easiest things to get into but the float is nice and they help with my knee.
Old 08-22-12, 12:30 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Most people that complain of the "skating" sensation didn't give themselves more than a couple weeks to adjust. It is odd at first, but you'll quickly forget about it.
Old 08-22-12, 12:31 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cvall91
Although I would like to try out a dual sided entry pedal like speedplays, I'm going to stick to my Dura Ace's for a while. I got them for free basically new so I can't complain. Took some time to get use to, especially when riding in traffic with lots of lights. I don't find them hard to unclip but then again, these are my first clipless so I can't compare. I still feel like the speedplays are too small. At least with my DA's I can ride the bike with sandals or sneakers.

The only problem I had with SPD-SLs is that they were hard to get in and out of and Speedplay is easy. If you don't have a problem with that, stay with SPD-SLs. I still use Look in my spin class. With Speedplay, I think you need stiffer shoes. I use really cheap shoes with my Look pedals and they work fine. I have Shimano shoes that I use with my Speedplays and the shoes are stiff as a board so the Speedplay pedals cause me no problem at all. I don't notice any difference in pedal size between SPD-SL and Speedplay.
Old 08-22-12, 12:36 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by UCF Eric
I switched from SPD-SL to Speedplay and it's taken me some getting used to, but I don't even notice that "skating on ice" feeling anymore. They aren't there easiest things to get into but the float is nice and they help with my knee.

If you have a hard time getting in to them, you may have tightened the screws a little too much.
Old 08-22-12, 01:02 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhyFi
If you have a hard time getting in to them, you may have tightened the screws a little too much.
I couldn't use to the action of hooking the front of the pedal with the front of my shoe and stepping down. Plus, I couldn't ride with them if I wasn't clipped in like I can with Speedplays. With Speedplays, step straight down and click you are in. If you miss just start pedaling and clip in after you are moving. My wife will sometimes ride for a few hundred yards before she decides to clip in.
Old 08-22-12, 01:05 PM
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Hey guy's I'm new to the sport and have my first bike. I was using basic pedals to get my body fit with the bike and a good ride before I decided to go clipless. I went to the LBS today to get pedals as I already have a pair of Shimano shoes. I was looking to get a set of the 105 SPD-SL but the guy at the LBS told me he thinks I should go with a two sided pedal. I thought he had to be talking about speedplay but he wasn't he was trying to talk me into buying a set of Crank Brothers Candy pedals. He said they would be better for me as a beginner. I know they are MTB pedals but can be used on the road and will fit my shoes but do you guy's think he is guiding me down the wrong road? BTW, they didn't have loaner sets of either so to try both I would have to buy both. The CB pedals were slightly cheaper and they had a set that matched my bike but should I go for raod pedals only? Thank you in advance.
Old 08-22-12, 01:11 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seymour1910
Hey guy's I'm new to the sport and have my first bike. I was using basic pedals to get my body fit with the bike and a good ride before I decided to go clipless. I went to the LBS today to get pedals as I already have a pair of Shimano shoes. I was looking to get a set of the 105 SPD-SL but the guy at the LBS told me he thinks I should go with a two sided pedal. I thought he had to be talking about speedplay but he wasn't he was trying to talk me into buying a set of Crank Brothers Candy pedals. He said they would be better for me as a beginner. I know they are MTB pedals but can be used on the road and will fit my shoes but do you guy's think he is guiding me down the wrong road? BTW, they didn't have loaner sets of either so to try both I would have to buy both. The CB pedals were slightly cheaper and they had a set that matched my bike but should I go for raod pedals only? Thank you in advance.
Do you have road shoes or mountain bike shoes? The advantage of mountain bike shoes it that they are easier to walk in than road shoes. I don't see the advantage of using mountain bike pedals on road shoes. You would need some sort of adapter to attach CBs to road shoes and I bet they would be hard to walk in. Are you considering egg beaters? I have no experience with them at all.

As a beginner, if you are looking at Speedplay you might consider Light Action pedals. They are around $100 but can be cheaper on Ebay.
Old 08-22-12, 01:12 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
+1. Speedplay cleats do that... road or MTB. The height of the cleat is really critical, and if you screw it down too much you compress the cleat and it is hard to clip in.
Old 08-22-12, 01:17 PM
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
Do you have road shoes or mountain bike shoes? The advantage of mountain bike shoes it that they are easier to walk in than road shoes. I don't see the advantage of using mountain bike pedals on road shoes. You would need some sort of adapter to attach CBs to road shoes and I bet they would be hard to walk in. Are you considering egg beaters? I have no experience with them at all.

As a beginner, if you are looking at Speedplay you might consider Light Action pedals. They are around $100 but can be cheaper on Ebay.
I have Shimano road shoes, the cleats for the CB pedals do fit my shoes. I am not sure about walking but they do fit becuse the shoes have the two hole or three hole option. As I said I am new so I was just going to get a pair of the SPD-SL and get myself used to using them. His argument was that I needed to start with something I could clip into on both sides. I like the pedals and all, but I wanted to ask you more experienced guy's before I spend $60 then regret it and have to spend another $65. The pedals are not the eag beaters they are the CB candy 2. https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...91_-1___400264 They are not $80 at my LBS, they are $60. I just used the PB link to show you.
Old 08-22-12, 01:33 PM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I jump around pedal systems quite a bit. I went to Speedplay at one time for the reasons you list, but ended up going to Time because I wanted a bigger platform.
Old 08-22-12, 02:43 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

^So how does TIME or LOOK differ from Shimano?
Old 08-22-12, 03:06 PM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WorldIRC
^So how does TIME or LOOK differ from Shimano?
I've ridden all three quite a bit. I'm currently on Time I-Clic's. Love the pedal, but apparently I have first generation cleats which wear out super fast. I'm told the current cleats last much longer but haven't tried them yet. Super easy entry since you are tripping a spring loaded hammer to engage it. Very low stack height and fairly light.

I liked Look a lot too but had the same problem with cleat wear.

Shimano's cleat lasted longer. Great solid dependable pedal. Little on the heavy side but they work IMO.

My favorite pedal was Time RXS - it was the only pedal that I wasn't able to wear out a cleat on. Very low stack height.

Speedplay - very very light (although if you include the cleat weight I think the i-clics are lighter). Dual sided entry is the bomb. In the end though I'm a bigger guy and a masher and I wanted a broader platform. I did have hot spot issues on these pedals.
Old 08-22-12, 04:12 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seymour1910
I have Shimano road shoes, the cleats for the CB pedals do fit my shoes. I am not sure about walking but they do fit becuse the shoes have the two hole or three hole option. As I said I am new so I was just going to get a pair of the SPD-SL and get myself used to using them. His argument was that I needed to start with something I could clip into on both sides. I like the pedals and all, but I wanted to ask you more experienced guy's before I spend $60 then regret it and have to spend another $65. The pedals are not the eag beaters they are the CB candy 2. https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...91_-1___400264 They are not $80 at my LBS, they are $60. I just used the PB link to show you.
I don't have any experience with CB candys but I think those are their entry level pedal. They are double sided though. I made a mistake when I bought SPD-SL pedals because I hated them. A lot of people love them. I sold them on Ebay and lost some money but then I found the pedals that worked for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.