Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Trainers

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-13, 03:33 PM
fatpunk

Bikes: '12 Giant Sedona, '15 Specialized Crave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trainers

So I work 24 to 48 hours in a row with 1 or 2 days off before I go back to work. It doesn't leave me with a lot of time to get my training rides in. I'm contemplating picking up a trainer so I can at least do some training on my down time at work. What's everyone's feelings about them? The thought of pedaling no where fast doesn't appeal to me but at the same time sitting around and watching TV waiting for the next call doesn't sit too well with me either.

Any particular brand or style better than the other?
Old 01-04-13, 03:38 PM
VegasVic

Bikes: Seven Axiom SL

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a CycleOps Fluid trainer before I moved to Phoenix, I don't need one now.

No issues with it, just pedal away for a hour so while watching TV, boring as hell, but better than nothing.
Old 01-04-13, 05:02 PM
magohn

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasVic
I had a CycleOps Fluid trainer before I moved to Phoenix, I don't need one now.

No issues with it, just pedal away for a hour so while watching TV, boring as hell, but better than nothing.
+1 - No complaints with the Cycleops Fluid 2 after a bunch of miles.

My setup:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ghlight=magohn

Last edited by magohn; 01-04-13 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-04-13, 05:08 PM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the cheapie CycleOps wind trainer and it is solid as a rock, it just is making my ears bleed.

Need to stop down at my LBS and order a Fluid2 resistance unit and upgrade.
Old 01-04-13, 05:20 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'm an advocate for rollers, to get the balance and "real feel" of riding while training.
Barring the desire for the learning curve involved with riding rollers, the Kurt Kinetic Rock 'n' Roll trainer does an alright job of letting the bike bob around to mimic real riding.
Old 01-04-13, 05:25 PM
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I were just going to buy a standard trainer (one with no electronic features)....this : Kurt Kinetic. I have seen more positive feedback on this model than most of the other models combined. Oddly enough two of the lbs here use them for the saturday morning training sessions in the winter as well.

they have even just released a little upgrade thing to make it a power based trainer, and its way cheaper than a computrainer.

Old 01-04-13, 05:27 PM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
If you can only get one a trainer is more versatile in the fact that you get a more structured workout and have the ability to increase tension. On the other hand I'm a huge roller guy, I have just a cheapo set of small drum straight rollers and if you ride them enough you can stand on them. They are great for increasing ones ability to spin and increases bike handling which in turn increases speed on the road.
Old 01-04-13, 05:41 PM
magohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
I'm an advocate for rollers, to get the balance and "real feel" of riding while training.
Barring the desire for the learning curve involved with riding rollers, the Kurt Kinetic Rock 'n' Roll trainer does an alright job of letting the bike bob around to mimic real riding.
I 'think' the KKRR has a weight limit of 300lbs. As I purchased my trainer at 295lbs, when researching, I did not want to chance snapping the RR functionality. Also, the KK takes longer to setup than the Cycleops. The Cycleops lets me mount/dismount my bike in seconds. The KK is a little more involved.

Cycleops 2 - the quick release system is awesome. I can mount/dismount in 10 seconds or less if I want to ride outside.

Old 01-07-13, 10:00 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I'd love a Kurt Kenetic ... but my current one is a Blackburn.

I'm also hoping to get rollers later this year for next winter
Old 01-07-13, 01:14 PM
LocoCycle

Bikes: 2010 Marin Lucas Valley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking of starting a new post....thanks I don't have to. So speaking of trainers...I just got a CycleOps Wind trainer. I was getting tired of the rain and etc stoppping me from at least doing somekind of riding. I have now used it three times...the biggest challenge is the not going anywhere part. But I am no different that anyone else...the mileage numbers are very important to me. How do you guys track your mileage when on a trainer? At this point I am riding for no more than 30 min without stopping...so i am thinking this has to be the same as my 30 min mileage numbers on a real ride? I might pick up another mount for my wireless computer and mount it on the back wheel and frame. Just curious how other are tracking themselves.
Old 01-07-13, 01:20 PM
magohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LocoCycle
I was thinking of starting a new post....thanks I don't have to. So speaking of trainers...I just got a CycleOps Wind trainer. I was getting tired of the rain and etc stoppping me from at least doing somekind of riding. I have now used it three times...the biggest challenge is the not going anywhere part. But I am no different that anyone else...the mileage numbers are very important to me. How do you guys track your mileage when on a trainer? At this point I am riding for no more than 30 min without stopping...so i am thinking this has to be the same as my 30 min mileage numbers on a real ride? I might pick up another mount for my wireless computer and mount it on the back wheel and frame. Just curious how other are tracking themselves.
I use my Garmin 705. It has a cadence pickup on the back wheel. As Im in the garage, I 'cancel' the GPS search and the 705 then works like a regular wireless comp.
Old 01-07-13, 10:18 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by LocoCycle
From what you said, I'm guessing you have a separate bike in your trainer compared to your regular road bike? If that's the case then just buy a wired computer. You can get them for $10 over here or I bought one with cadence for $30. If you still use the trainer bike on the road, then another sensor might be your most practical bet.
Old 01-08-13, 01:51 AM
laxpatrick

Bikes: Canyon, Gunnar, Speshes mtb and phat

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Had a CycleOps fluid, it leaked and ruined some carpet. Now riding 1upUSA, made here in WI, quiet and well designed with a stellar warranty...
Old 01-08-13, 08:29 AM
LocoCycle

Bikes: 2010 Marin Lucas Valley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brawlo
From what you said, I'm guessing you have a separate bike in your trainer compared to your regular road bike? If that's the case then just buy a wired computer. You can get them for $10 over here or I bought one with cadence for $30. If you still use the trainer bike on the road, then another sensor might be your most practical bet.
yes currently I am using my road bike in the trainer. But that is going to change this weekend...you might have a good idea about getting a wired computer for the trainer bike.

Thanks
Old 01-08-13, 08:39 AM
BionicChris

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Tarmac Comp, 2015 Merida Reacto 5000, 2015 Giant Trinity Composite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can identify with the OP - I work an 11 hour shift 2-3 days in a row, then 1 or 2 off, leaving in the dark and getting home in the dark.

If it wasn't for my trainer I would cycle 2 days a week maximum if the weather is good.
Old 01-08-13, 10:28 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vesteroid
If I were just going to buy a standard trainer (one with no electronic features)....this : Kurt Kinetic. I have seen more positive feedback on this model than most of the other models combined. Oddly enough two of the lbs here use them for the saturday morning training sessions in the winter as well.

they have even just released a little upgrade thing to make it a power based trainer, and its way cheaper than a computrainer.
I own a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine trainer and think it is very well-made. That said, I rarely use it: it's just too painfully boring.

The Kurt Kinetic power computer is a joke... unless they've changed it since I last looked at it? The one I remember measured your speed, made some assumptions about how much power was required to reach that speed, did a little multiplication and displayed the result. You can find the calculation on their website, print out some numbers with Excel, and save yourself $80.