Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bar tape direction?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bar tape direction?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-13, 02:09 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by eschlwc
i couldn't disagree more with the park instructions. i start from the end and wrap from inside out, so hand pressure is always applying tightening pressure. once you arrive at the lever, you wrap from outside, over the bar, then under and around the outside of the lever and back under, making the 'figure 8.' this puts you in position to continue on the top, wrapping from in to out toward the stem clamp.

i always apply two pieces of electical tape (one atop the other) to complete the wrap, but i cut the width of the black e-tape in half, 'cause a thin finish looks more elegant.

The Park instructions are awful. Look at the finished product! It looks terrible.

I do exactly what you do, except with cloth tape. That will get shellacked and doesn't look good with tape, so I wrap top down. But I always go inside to outside.
Old 03-20-13, 02:40 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
when i first started overhauling rear derailleurs, the park site instructions led me astray in that regard as well. for hours i was lost and left with great anxiety and bloodied hands... until i came here to c&v.

^ btw, what's that a photo of? looks like he's choking a lizard in a medieval surgical procedure.

Last edited by eschlwc; 03-20-13 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-20-13, 03:02 PM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by eschlwc
^ btw, what's that a photo of? looks like he's choking a lizard in a medieval surgical procedure.
I'm guessing he's using a lighter to heat a peice of steel in order to fuse the seam on the finishing tape...not a bad idea, actually I may try doing that
Old 03-20-13, 03:10 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
It's best to sterilize sharp objects before sticking them in your eye. Safety first at Park.

I wrap in the direction shown in the Park instructions. Somehow, my results look great; must be me.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 03-20-13 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-20-13, 03:28 PM
sotramk

Bikes: Trek 1100

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here's Calvin at Park Tool doing a "flip flop" wrap. By changing directions at the brake he keeps the tape self tightening both below and on top.

Old 03-20-13, 03:31 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
I wrap in the direction shown in the Park instructions. Somehow, my results look great; must be me.

I assume not wearing rubber gloves helps.
Old 03-20-13, 06:06 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
I'm glad to see we've arrived at a consensus on tape wrapping, as usual!
Old 03-20-13, 08:37 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Wow, I've never seen so much confusion, obfuscation, and general disagreement since Congress first convened.

I had to go check my bikes to see how I've done it. Always from stem to bar end. Always symmetric left to right, which is to say the helix on one side has the opposite handedness from the helix on the other. Other than that, I've never felt a strong reason to run the helix forward and out or backwards and out. By chance both bars on the tandem, the bars on my sweetie's solo bike, and all my bars except the Peugeot (and not counting the Bianchi which is out in the car so I didn't check it) run one way. The Pug runs the other. I ain't saying which way. Someone might say I did it wrong.
Old 03-21-13, 03:24 AM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
I've taped like this since I was a kid.

Old 03-21-13, 05:02 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I didn't think there'd be a consensus. The LBS here wraps from stem to bar end, and doesn't tuck anything in, cuts it clean and tapes it. I generally tuck in 1/2", enough to make the plug stay, but not enough that it's so thick the plug cuts it. I've also, on occasion, started "clean" at the bar end, by request. Some plugs look better that way (Bontrager).

I wrap from the drops up, outside over the top, switch around at the brake/ergo/STI lever. I try to keep them even, and try to have the same number of turns on each side. It's surprisingly easy and people think I know what I'm doing, because it looks good. I ride the drops and have yet to have an issue with curling.

For cushioning on Nittos and aluminum frames, I either use some leftover padded wrap, or cut some Dr. Scholl's gel strips. I don't like a thickish bar, but if it means no numbness, I can live with it. When I wrap for other people, most of them want padding up near the hoods, on top, because that's how they ride. That's very easy with the Dr. Scholl's. Cut, stick, wrap.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 03-21-13 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-21-13, 05:23 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Hm. From top to bottom. I'm pretty anal
about having the same number of turns on either side, especially on the tops. I try to get the angle symetrical too. Mind you, I've only wrapped with cork tape thus far, and that old Iscaselle stuff which is rather fat too ( and sticky! But comfortable IMHO. I do hate the stupid, waaaaay too short and waaaay too non-sticky excuses for finishing tapes manufacturers supply.
Old 03-21-13, 06:42 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Your waaaaay remarks resemble Cinelli finish tapes!

this thread confirms there is no right way, only your way.
Old 03-21-13, 06:51 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
Your waaaaay remarks resemble Cinelli finish tapes!

this thread confirms there is no right way, only your way.
And Velox, and off brand, and Pelten, and BBB, and specialized. None of the brands I tried came with adequate finishing tapes.
Old 03-21-13, 09:56 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
+1 on the poor finishing tapes. Even the ones that go on well can betray you later.
Lizardskin, which is my favorite wrap to use and apply, has the best and only sensible finishing tapes I've seen. It's just thinner Lizardskin.
Old 03-21-13, 12:16 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Tressostar, generally black though in a few cases not black. Ends tucked into the bar. We don't need no stinkin' finishing tape. That's how I learned to do it from one or more bike books back in the 70's. It has worked well. YMMV.
Old 03-21-13, 01:09 PM
mainstreetexile 
rain dog

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Finishing tape? What's that? I always just use black electrical tape to finish my wraps near the bars, but I guess I'm just a philistine.

Wrapping from top to bottom and finishing with tape there wouldn't work for me since my hands rest there a lot to use my bar end shifters. On the tops, right near the stem/sleeve on the bars, not so much. Maybe authentic finishing tape (tm) fares better, but electrical tape tends to slip or unravel if you move your hands around on it too much, especially as it gets older. The nice thing about black electrical tape is that I have an unlimited supply so it's no problem to top it off with an extra wrap, or replace the old electrical tape with fresh if it loses its stickiness.
Old 03-21-13, 05:55 PM
Ed in Toronto

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Let me throw in my 2 cents. The way I like to do it, which is probably wrong, but what the heck, I'm the one who's gonna' ride the bike.

Old 03-21-13, 06:06 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
doesn't matter much how you wrap the bar if you never touch it. Or if you must, only with the fingertips (like when you just have to avoid that bus). Won't unravel, and it keeps much cleaner that way, too.
Old 03-21-13, 06:14 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,125 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by old's'cool
I'm glad to see we've arrived at a consensus on tape wrapping, as usual!
Next up, how do you glue your tubulars? Followed by how do you finish your cable ends? Then, once those have been settled, should you grease your tapers?

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 03-21-13, 07:08 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
Next up, how do you glue your tubulars? Followed by how do you finish your cable ends? Then, once those have been settled, should you grease your tapers?
You forgot to ask, "What's the best chain lube?"
Old 03-21-13, 08:13 PM
mainstreetexile 
rain dog

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
should you grease your tapers?
Originally Posted by auchencrow
"What's the best chain lube?"
Ooh, good ones! I actually just flip-flopped on my taper grease stance, but I won't get into that here.
Old 03-21-13, 08:42 PM
kc0yef 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
wrap it so that when your hands grip the tape it tightens not loosens top down
Old 03-21-13, 10:10 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Shaken, not stirred. Or is it mistaken, not erred. I can't quite remember. The problem is, when I see descriptions like
wrap it so that when your hands grip the tape it tightens not loosens top down
I really don't know what it means. Top down. Over across. Over and up. Over and down. Clockwise. Inside-out. Yeah, but from what perspective? I dunno'. I just ride. Never had bar tape come loose. I've had it wear to the point of becoming tattered. That means it's time to do it again. A few thousand miles maybe.
Old 03-21-13, 10:57 PM
mainstreetexile 
rain dog

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Shaken, not stirred. Or is it mistaken, not erred. I can't quite remember. The problem is, when I see descriptions like

I really don't know what it means. Top down. Over across. Over and up. Over and down. Clockwise. Inside-out. Yeah, but from what perspective? I dunno'. I just ride. Never had bar tape come loose. I've had it wear to the point of becoming tattered. That means it's time to do it again. A few thousand miles maybe.
Reminds me of this.. topwise!

Old 03-22-13, 01:26 AM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
...I've had it wear to the point of becoming tattered. That means it's time to do it again. A few thousand miles maybe.
that far, huh? i retape mine after each ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.