Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2015!! How was your commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2015!! How was your commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-15, 11:19 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
80 degrees, 70 percent humidity, 6mph headwind (changed direction since it's been going the last month), and a terrible headache. Then after a light at the top of a little hill, some semi truck passed me, and before he was past me he started moving over on me really pushing me into the curb and the bushes sticking out of it. I almost crashed going something like 25mph (speed limit on the road is like 30mph). I was pretty freaked out and pissed off. I caught the truck like 2 miles down the road where I did some not so grown up things, but it at least let me blow off steam on someone who put my life in serious danger for the impatience.
Old 07-24-15, 05:11 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
Another nice commute with the temp at 60f degrees this morning. This morning as I passed a house, I was looking in the direction of the driveway and I saw someone had left the car-key in the door of the vehicle. I did not stop or do anything because I am not sure that anybody wants to be disturbed at 6:00am.
Old 07-24-15, 06:04 AM
tdreyer1

Bikes: Specialized Awol Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nicest commute this week. Coming back to cooler temperatures (barely ) after not being able to ride yesterday was a nice start to a Friday.
Old 07-24-15, 06:21 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Warm and very humid this morning after thunderstorms and heavy rain on Thursday. I drove yesterday due to forecasts calling for severe thunderstorms but actually could have bike commuted unscathed because of the timing of the storms. Of course, I have no way of knowing that ahead of time and it's not worth the risk and stress to ride on days like that.

Swapped tires on my main commuter last weekend because the Conti GP 4 Seasons that were on that bike were about 5 years old with untold mileage and lots of cuts. They still had enough tread to last a while longer but I just didn't feel safe riding on them anymore. I replaced them with some Rivendell Roughy Tuffys, which are nice riding and supposedly very durable but also slow. My average speeds dropped immediately and they feel sluggish. Not sure how long I can put up with that as my commute distance is pretty far (31 miles round trip). I've ordered some Panaracer Gravel Grinders and might just swap them out as soon as they arrive unless I suddenly develop an affection for riding slower.
Old 07-24-15, 06:55 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dramiscram
it's been almost a month since my last visit on the forum. Since I started my new job I don't have much spare time, which is a good thing because the days seems shorter. At my previous job I was sitting at my desk 40h/week with a lot of spare time but I'm now the shop dispatcher/foreman at another Ford dealer and I'm much busier. The days are also tougher on the legs since I stand most of the time and walk a lot, so the bike ride was thouger for the first 2 or 3 weeks, but now it's fine.
I also had to take a week off the bike because I fell on a saturday night 3 weeks ago: I was coming back from one of my friend's place at around 9 pm, when it was getting darker but not completely dark and there was a big log straight across the bike path, I'm sure it was pure sabotage, when I saw it I was too close to stop so I stumbled over it and badly scrapped my right shoulder, elbow and knee, the helmet was badly scratched as well so I replaced it. I may have seen it earlier if I would've been sober... (had a few cold one) and if had I tought about bringing my headlamp... But still there some dumba** who tought it would be funny to put a big log across the bike path at night, it cost me a front wheel...
Welcome back and glad you're ok. The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me. Great ride in this a.m. and first week in forever with no rain riding
Old 07-24-15, 07:14 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
I didn't ride yesterday, but back on today. I think I broke my front shifter on my way in. It hasn't been right for a while. It was very difficult to shift from the middle ring to the big ring. It didn't make the ratcheting clicks. Basically I would have to apply quite a bit of force to get the front derailleur to move. I knew it wasn't right, but it was working.

Well, when trying to shift it this morning, there was a pop and the shifter went loose. It no longer has any resistance. I didn't mess with it while riding and it was fine for me to get to work. But I suppose I'll have to switch back to my other bike. It was having chain issues, so perhaps I'll replace that.
Old 07-24-15, 07:27 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Rode home yesterday almost 11 miles in a gentle rain. At mile 7 is when my feet started to feel squishy, which is not too bad for that ride. I really like having fenders. I think they helped.

They only bad thing is that my headlight died on the way home. The one day I wish the battery hung on a little longer due to the steady rain.

I drove today since we are heading out of town for my 20th high school reunion this weekend.
Old 07-24-15, 08:47 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
No commute in this morning. Yesterday afternoon totally wiped me. It wasn't supposed to get as high as 98, but it did and sure as hell felt more like 100-something. The weather reports in the morning said a high of 93. Those added 5 degrees just made the ride fairly miserable. Also had a punk of a headwind. I am glad I brought a 2nd bottle with me, as I went through two full bottles in 10.7 miles.
Old 07-24-15, 10:39 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I helped a guy rescue a kitten out of the storm drain on the N/B Hazel bridge bike path. I pulled over for him since he had his bike upside-down-parked and I thought he might need patches or something. He had found the kitten while riding earlier, and come back with a wrench to take a panel off of the gutter. I chased the kitten to the opening. However we could not get the bolts back in since when we pulled them out, the sand around them fell in the bolt holes. Not sure who to call. He took the kitten, thank goodness!
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-24-15, 11:47 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Hot n humid as always this week. Had a few sprinkles going home both Tuesday and Thursday. It really looked like rain yesterday when I left, had fenders on and everything, but barely got sprinkles the whole way. I was like "come on quit this pansy sprinkling and just rain already!"

Then I was on a 3-lane road with center turn lane, moving into the turn lane to turn left onto a side street (no intersection markings). As I'm signalling I'm trying to maintain momentum to swing around behind the car approaching me from the other way. But then that car decides to just stop in the street. I grumble and put my foot down, holding my hand out like "what are you doing??", then she rolled the window down and was like "you wanted to turn!" I said "but you have the right of way!" So she went on and then I turned, grumbling some more as I struggled to regain some speed.

I also checked last year's commute mileage thread and I'm almost 450 commuting miles up from the same point last year, so that's cool!
Old 07-24-15, 05:56 PM
walrus1

Bikes: Schwinn World Sport Jamis Ventura

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Comparatively nice day today! I went down a street this afternoon that was so gridlocked that all the cars decided to take the bike lane over that was fun... not. I almost got hit by a car that ran a steady red light. My light had just turned green and for some stupid reason I didn't look left to make sure all the cars stopped like I normally do. My only warning I was about to get hit was her slamming on her brakes. Well, as long as I don't get hit.
Old 07-24-15, 09:36 PM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noglider
You see how heavily used the path is. It's a constant stream of cyclists and joggers. The joggers are officially not allowed on this portion of the bikeway, but I'm fine with them being there. Most cyclists and joggers behave as if we're on an autobahn, keeping right and passing left. It's one of the most orderly places in the city in my observation.

I started the video at just below 14 St and ended it at about 25 St, so that's a hair over a half mile. That's a small fraction of my 14-mile commute, of course.

https://youtu.be/m82ugBavDxc
Wow! I bet a lot of fellow riders in DC would wish any of our major MUPs here (Mt. Vernon Trail, WO&D Trail, etc.) were as orderly. Here we have to deal with cyclists that try to thread the needle at 27mph between other cyclists/pedestrians going in both directions, attempt a double-pass or worse right before a blind corner, etc.

Helmet camera I presume? Some parts of the video towards the end, it looks like you were taking long looks to the left while continuing to ride.
Old 07-24-15, 11:45 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
No, it was my cell phone held by my hand. Sorry it's so shaky. I turned the camera left and right so you could see what surrounds us. The highway and city are on the right, and the park and river are on our left, as we go north (uptown).

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-26-15, 07:52 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hot and humid again, but a nice cloth soaked in water really makes things better.

The ride was really smooth and nice today, but I saw a young man (I think a high school kid) laid out in a parking lot of a convenience store. He was under a road bike, handlebars bent, not really moving so much. It looked like he got hit by a car coming in or pulling out of the parking lot. He didn't have a helmet on... It looked really bad, and I really hope he's okay.
Old 07-27-15, 05:16 AM
essiemyra

A nice uneventful commute today.
Old 07-27-15, 05:43 AM
dcb23

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
71F 22cC here in DC....gonna be a hot week. Ride in was nice, wet streets after an early morning thunderstorm. Working on selling my condo up on Cap Hill so I will be looking at new, linger commute in the coming months.
Old 07-27-15, 07:13 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
I left a little early and added about 15 minutes and 3.5 miles to my ride in this morning. Total of a little over 16 miles.

Plenty of summer still here with highs in the low 90s all week.

Yesterday somebody in a white Lexus tried to turn the Starbucks close to my office into a drive-thru. Not sure how they did it. They would have had to powered over a sidewalk curb first. Only one person with minor injuries on the inside.

Last edited by mgw4jc; 07-27-15 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-27-15, 07:53 AM
esmith2039

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Already warm this morning. A bit groggy from a sleeping pill so push myself to work it out my system. Going to be a extremely hot one on the way home. My car AC doesn't work or I might just drive.. without the AC it's cooler riding the bike!!
Old 07-27-15, 08:49 AM
KCBikeCommuter

Bikes: Klein Quantum Race; Cannondale Supersix EVO Di2; Trek Crossrip LTD; Trek Boone 9 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another Heat-Advisory for KC today (heat index of around 107), so I drove today. Actually, I got up early and did a ride since I was pretty sure I didn't want to ride this afternoon. The temp was nice (mid 70's), but I was still absolutely drenched with sweat by the time I got home. Way humid!
Old 07-27-15, 08:58 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Legs tired this morning after two 50-mile rides over the weekend, so I took it easy riding to work. I was still drenched in sweat by the end of the ride because the humidity levels have gone way up again after a brief respite the past few days.
Old 07-27-15, 11:37 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Yesterday after towing the baby trailer about 6 miles, I did the 6 back with my BIL's race bike. The seat was too low. That plus bike commuting 3x last week seems to have done in my knee. I sat out today. I might go in tomorrow taking it easy if I don't feel any problems this evening.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-27-15, 12:34 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by essiemyra
A nice uneventful commute today.

yep a great ride in.

I had the chance to ride my bike with my 5 year old son riding his bike this weekend. I think he has biking figured out! We played follow the leader and celebrated with a Batman Cookie! It was a truly a wonderful moment this past weekend.

Last edited by RidingMatthew; 07-28-15 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-27-15, 06:57 PM
txcrash

Bikes: 2015 Tread 1.1 - Commuter, 2009 Allez Triple - Group Rides, 2015 Rockhopper comp - Mud and roots, 90's Burley Duet Tandem - Fast times with the kid, Electra 1 Cruiser - Slow times with the kid, Several projects, critical case of n+1, far past s-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's hot today, so naturally I decided to ride way further than usual. Quick loop around the lake, and a run up to the trinity mills station, and then the next station up from where I usually get off. 26 miles for the day, vs the 9 for the day if I take the closest trains. Huge smoothie when I got home and I'm happy and tired and feel great.

Was as good to get my legs spinning for a while and kill one goal (riding from work to the transfer train station), next goal is to ride the entire loop, but that'll be a 37 mile route due to bike unfriendly infrastructure the shorter way.
Old 07-28-15, 05:04 AM
essiemyra

Another nice uneventful commute, by way of the garden I like. Also I was able to add another mile on so now it can be a ten mile commute to work.
Old 07-28-15, 05:27 AM
esmith2039

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
3 trains this morning! Arrived at work right on time though. Wasn't hot till I had to stop. Wasn't that terrible last night due to cloud cover. Today might be another story. Oh well pedal slow and steady.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.