Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello from NorCal

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hello from NorCal

Old 08-13-20, 08:29 PM
Hog chef

Bikes: Quarantine Home Built, Old Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hello from NorCal

Came across this forum the other day while looking for feedback on clipless pedals. I currently have a 2nd hand Specialized Secteur but will be upgrading soon (doing my own build). I also have an old...old Specialized Hardrock which I was planning on converting to some kind of gravel bike or something. But when I took it off the rack, I never realized how heavy that old mountain bike was. So now I'm thinking e-bike conversion. Looking forward to sharing and getting advice on my road bike build and e-bike conversion project(s). Keep the rubber side down and shiny side up. Later...
Old 08-14-20, 08:57 AM
m21bmr

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Tourmalet; 1992 Giant Rincon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome to the forum!
Old 08-14-20, 04:25 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Welcome!
Old 08-14-20, 05:29 PM
Hog chef

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
So here's an intro to the build. I got layed off; needless to say, I've been home since March.

My current bike, a Specialized Secteur, used to be my wife's until we got her a Colnago CLD Team Edition. My wonderful loving wife, suggested I should get a new bike for myself. Soooo many choices out there (and expensive too) so I looked into building my own. First criteria was it had too be light and second, the unemployment check dictated how much I could spend. So after a lot of internet research and YouTube videos later I finally decide, and please don't hate me for this, a cheap Chinese carbon bike from Ali Express. I have no plans on racing, just fun rides with the wife and friends. So far I've already received all the parts except for the wheels, which should be here early September. Haven't had any issues ordering or deliveries, about 4-6 weeks average, just have to be patient.

So there it is, first step into building my own bike. As soon as I get the wheels, hopefully I remember to post a picture of all the components prior to assembly. Wish me luck, hope all the parts fit, and I'm praying it doesn't explode into a million pieces first time I sit on it. Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up! Later...
Old 08-14-20, 09:56 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Originally Posted by Hog chef
So here's an intro to the build. I got layed off; needless to say, I've been home since March.

My current bike, a Specialized Secteur, used to be my wife's until we got her a Colnago CLD Team Edition. My wonderful loving wife, suggested I should get a new bike for myself. Soooo many choices out there (and expensive too) so I looked into building my own. First criteria was it had too be light and second, the unemployment check dictated how much I could spend. So after a lot of internet research and YouTube videos later I finally decide, and please don't hate me for this, a cheap Chinese carbon bike from Ali Express. I have no plans on racing, just fun rides with the wife and friends. So far I've already received all the parts except for the wheels, which should be here early September. Haven't had any issues ordering or deliveries, about 4-6 weeks average, just have to be patient.

So there it is, first step into building my own bike. As soon as I get the wheels, hopefully I remember to post a picture of all the components prior to assembly. Wish me luck, hope all the parts fit, and I'm praying it doesn't explode into a million pieces first time I sit on it. Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up! Later...
Looking forward to your project!
If you haven't watched this channel yet, this might be informative to you. I like his reviews:
https://www.youtube.com/c/TraceVelo/videos
Old 08-15-20, 01:29 PM
Hog chef

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks Rob. Yes I've seen his videos. Agree with you there, very informative. All those bike builds on YouTube sure make it look easy. I was an auto mechanic in my early years (emphasis on the word mechanic and not technician; when cars had carburetors, manual transmissions, window cranks, radios with knobs & dials and the only warning you got was white, blue or black smoke...oops, sorry, got carried away there) hopefully my mechanical knowledge will help with the build. But I'll still be relying on this forum because there are no instructions or more importantly, torque settings. Cant wait for my wheels to get here so I can get started. Thanks again. Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up. Later...
Likes For Hog chef: