Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Old 08-01-20, 04:50 PM
Batstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by AvnerBen
The numbers above seem to relate to the wrong update. Latest update quotes bicycle 475 delivered, with 500-600 awaiting assembly.
the ultralight conversion is available.
The forum is now open also for pre-orderers.
Doh! Thanks for pointing that out. I should have scrolled down to the May update and picked up on those numbers. Good to see that the forum is now open to pre-order customers.
Old 09-17-20, 10:27 PM
phudes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anybody else getting error message when trying to log in to the Helix website?
Old 09-20-20, 01:16 AM
phudes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anybody have a phone number for Helix? Emails are not being ansewered.
Old 10-14-20, 06:51 PM
Bym

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
When will the electric wheel be released?
Old 10-15-20, 03:52 AM
Jonesandrew

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bym
When will the electric wheel be released?
Hi Bym, the details are scheduled to be released this month with the upgrade kit to be available "Late 2020". Of course this is Peter giving us this timescale and his predictions have had zero credibility for about the past 4 years so the information is almost useless. I'm preparing myself for the announcement to be made in the next 3 months, with hardware possibly being available in the first quarter of next year. I'm convinced the electric version is imperative for the long term viability of Helix, so I'm sure the upgrade will come, we just don't know when.
Old 10-15-20, 09:17 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesandrew
Hi Bym, the details are scheduled to be released this month with the upgrade kit to be available "Late 2020". Of course this is Peter giving us this timescale and his predictions have had zero credibility for about the past 4 years so the information is almost useless. I'm preparing myself for the announcement to be made in the next 3 months, with hardware possibly being available in the first quarter of next year. I'm convinced the electric version is imperative for the long term viability of Helix, so I'm sure the upgrade will come, we just don't know when.
Is there something unique about the wheel that you can't use a hub kit? Proprietary?
Old 10-15-20, 12:03 PM
Jonesandrew

Originally Posted by linberl
Is there something unique about the wheel that you can't use a hub kit? Proprietary?
Hi Linberl, no, there's nothing unique about the wheel, but I think attaching a proprietary battery pack could be tricky, especially because racks are not yet available for the bike. I don't think the space available inside the main frame triangle with the bike folded will be enough for a useful size of battery pack, so the only place I can think of to mount a battery pack without affecting the overall folded size is alongside the front "fork" tube, which won't be easy given the lack of suitable fixing points.
Old 10-15-20, 12:28 PM
linberl

Hi Linberl, no, there's nothing unique about the wheel, but I think attaching a proprietary battery pack could be tricky, especially because racks are not yet available for the bike. I don't think the space available inside the main frame triangle with the bike folded will be enough for a useful size of battery pack, so the only place I can think of to mount a battery pack without affecting the overall folded size is alongside the front "fork" tube, which won't be easy given the lack of suitable fixing points.
Looks like it would fit one of those long frame packs under the top tube. Something like this bag; the tube doesn't fold.
Old 10-16-20, 01:07 AM
Bym

Would you like to install the battery pack on the handle post?

Last edited by Bym; 10-16-20 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-16-20, 03:34 AM
Jonesandrew

Hi Linberl, The usable space inside the main frame triangle is approx 400mm long x 140mm high at the rear tapering down to 60mm at the front. Certainly a custom built pack could be fitted into that space, but I would think it's highly unlikely a proprietary pack would be available to fit that space. The maximum width available is tricky to measure, but I think it will be approximately 45mm.
Hi Bym, I guess it would be possible to mount a battery pack on the handle post, but it would increase the width of the folded bike. Helix claim their pack will be mounted in an "innovative way" which will not increase the size of the folded bike.
Old 10-16-20, 09:35 AM
linberl

Hi Linberl, The usable space inside the main frame triangle is approx 400mm long x 140mm high at the rear tapering down to 60mm at the front. Certainly a custom built pack could be fitted into that space, but I would think it's highly unlikely a proprietary pack would be available to fit that space. The maximum width available is tricky to measure, but I think it will be approximately 45mm.
Hi Bym, I guess it would be possible to mount a battery pack on the handle post, but it would increase the width of the folded bike. Helix claim their pack will be mounted in an "innovative way" which will not increase the size of the folded bike.
I think if I was going to buy a Helix (whether crowdfunded price or retail) the additional cost of a custom fitted bag wouldn't be that big a deal. To me anyway, the reason for this bike is the fold and the look. I wouldn't want to then go do a half-assed job of adding an electric system - I'd want that be as slick as the bike. Find someone who can sew or order something from a custom shop, all it needs is one long zipper and a reinforced hole for the wires, it wouldn't be that expensive. And I wouldn't assume there are no bags out there that will fit, anyway. There are a lot of companies offering bags these days for their own systems and for bike camping that might work. Just spend some time checking measurements
Old 10-16-20, 10:07 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 198 Posts
Finding a bag that doesn't need o be removed to fold the bike isn't so easy. It must also be attached to the bike strongly enough to avoid to move when loaded with a battery that can be relatively heavy.
Old 10-16-20, 11:05 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by Jipe
Finding a bag that doesn't need o be removed to fold the bike isn't so easy. It must also be attached to the bike strongly enough to avoid to move when loaded with a battery that can be relatively heavy.
Yes but a good custom bag maker won't find that a problem and bags already designed for batteries should also work. That's why we have velcro.
Old 10-17-20, 09:22 AM
Jonesandrew

An apology and a clarification.

Hi Linberl, I've just realised I owe you an apology for not understanding the word "proprietary". In my ignorance, I thought it meant commercially available generic items. I now need to clarify what I subsequently wrote.

The rear wheel is not special as I said, but I omitted to say that special (proprietary) dropouts will be required to mount a rear hub motor whether it be from Helix or any other manufacturer. Obviously a proprietary battery pack can be made by Helix to fit anywhere they choose in the "innovative way" which has yet to be revealed. I'm sorry for any confusion that I've caused.
Old 10-17-20, 09:25 AM
linberl

Hi Linberl, I've just realised I owe you an apology for not understanding the word "proprietary". In my ignorance, I thought it meant commercially available generic items. I now need to clarify what I subsequently wrote.

The rear wheel is not special as I said, but I omitted to say that special (proprietary) dropouts will be required to mount a rear hub motor whether it be from Helix or any other manufacturer. Obviously a proprietary battery pack can be made by Helix to fit anywhere they choose in the "innovative way" which has yet to be revealed. I'm sorry for any confusion that I've caused.
Ahh...no apology necessary....now I understand why you are waiting for Helix to do it, though. That does limit a rear wheel install. What about a front hub motor system? Will Helix take a standard front wheel with a hub laced?
Old 10-17-20, 09:16 PM
Bym

Will changing the stainless steel spokes on a helix bike to titanium spokes help you lose weight?
Old 10-18-20, 02:44 AM
Jonesandrew

Ahh...no apology necessary....now I understand why you are waiting for Helix to do it, though. That does limit a rear wheel install. What about a front hub motor system? Will Helix take a standard front wheel with a hub laced?
Front hub motors cannot be used because the front hub is I believe, unique in the cycling world. Even though it's apparently made by Formula who I understand make the Lefty hubs for Cannondale, it's done in a totally different way to allow the shaft for the wheel to wheel locking mechanism to pass through the centre. While we're on this subject, centre drive motor systems also will not fit Helix because both wheels are tight up to the bottom bracket when folded.

@Bym: It looks like titanium spokes could be used to reduce weight but after a very quick investigation, the perceived wisdom on the net seems to be that by the time you've got the spoke thick enough to equal the stiffness of the steel spokes you are replacing, you've lost the weight advantage. If you don't mind loosing stiffness you could save a few grams.
Old 10-18-20, 02:51 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 198 Posts
If you want to save some weight on the spokes, you can use Sapim CX-ray aero spokes that weight less and are very strong.
Old 10-18-20, 09:13 AM
linberl

Front hub motors cannot be used because the front hub is I believe, unique in the cycling world. Even though it's apparently made by Formula who I understand make the Lefty hubs for Cannondale, it's done in a totally different way to allow the shaft for the wheel to wheel locking mechanism to pass through the centre. While we're on this subject, centre drive motor systems also will not fit Helix because both wheels are tight up to the bottom bracket when folded.

@Bym: It looks like titanium spokes could be used to reduce weight but after a very quick investigation, the perceived wisdom on the net seems to be that by the time you've got the spoke thick enough to equal the stiffness of the steel spokes you are replacing, you've lost the weight advantage. If you don't mind loosing stiffness you could save a few grams.
Well, it's a great looking bike but I don't think I would want to be locked into their ecosystem forever. If they disappear, then what do you do if you need stuff? Here's hoping they stay healthy as a company for many years to come! Otoh, I'm pretty sure I could get Jeff to make a mount so I could stick my OneMotor drive system on it, lol.
Old 10-18-20, 01:48 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 116 Posts
It looks like titanium spokes could be used to reduce weight but after a very quick investigation, the perceived wisdom on the net seems to be that by the time you've got the spoke thick enough to equal the stiffness of the steel spokes you are replacing, you've lost the weight advantage. If you don't mind loosing stiffness you could save a few grams.
Since the spokes are always under tension, why would their stiffness matter? Just asking.
Old 10-19-20, 06:15 AM
Jonesandrew

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
Since the spokes are always under tension, why would their stiffness matter? Just asking.
Hi Schwinnsta, All spokes will stretch and contract a little as the wheel rotates under load even though they're in tension. Consequently I think a little of the riders power will be lost into the rear wheel because of the slightly soft connection between the rear hub and the rim. That matters to me because although I'm not an athlete or a particularly strong rider, (I'm the skinny lad at the back), I want to minimise the length of time I'm holding people up in a group ride so I want as much of my energy as possible to be transferred into forward motion. Obviously it will matter to competetive cyclists looking to gain a technical advantage too, however small the gain. You're question did make me realise however that a titanium spoked front wheel might help to reduce handlebar vibration which can often be a problem on small wheeled folding bikes. Before I got my hands on a Helix, I thought I might have a problem with comfort but I needn't have worried. I have the seat post well extended and I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of spring it has. The ride has a similar feel to my previous folder which has a long travel Thudbuster seat post. The combination of the titanium fork and medium length titanium handle post seem to do a good job absorbing shocks at the front too.
Old 10-20-20, 10:07 PM
Bym

Handlebar, seatpost, saddle, crank = changed to carbon
Likes For Bym:
Old 10-20-20, 10:21 PM
Bym

Before
Likes For Bym:
Old 10-20-20, 10:38 PM
Bym

Likes For Bym:
Old 10-25-20, 08:19 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bym

Before
I love the bags! Where did you get that frame bag from?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.