Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek sued in Southern District of NY for Wavecell marketing

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-08-21, 11:23 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...g#.X_kxb2lMHqs

How dare anyone even attempt to besmirch the most significant advancement in cycling in the last 30 years!***

...truth be told, I like the boa retention and the magnetic strap clip on those helmets. Really nice touches. The helmet feels like it weights 8# when its on my head though.
Old 01-08-21, 11:46 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I got one recently, and I really like it. I guess my old helmet must have been the same weight as I don't find that obnoxiously heavy. I too have come to like the strap. My one complaint and I knew it going into it, you can not scratch your head with it on...

Old 01-09-21, 08:55 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
So what's the gain for the those who pile onto the class action suit? It looks like the claim is that there is some amount of overpayment for a product that may be not much better than a conventional helmet. So what are we talking -- $50, $75 per claimant? Is it worth the effort for those folks to join the class action?
Old 01-09-21, 10:26 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
More like tree fitty ($3.50) after the lawyers all pay themselves. What a colossal waste of time and energy.
Likes For nycphotography:
Old 01-09-21, 10:27 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
So what's the gain for the those who pile onto the class action suit? It looks like the claim is that there is some amount of overpayment for a product that may be not much better than a conventional helmet. So what are we talking -- $50, $75 per claimant? Is it worth the effort for those folks to join the class action?
most of the time, there’s no effort involved on the part of most of the class, once the suit is up and running. My inclusion in several class action suits comprised a letter from a law firm basically saying “you’re a member of a class - if you want to opt out and pursue individual action, let us know by X date” (I never did, because I’m not particularly litigious) occasionally followed months later by a check ranging from 60 cents to several thousand dollars.

Last edited by Litespud; 01-09-21 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-09-21, 10:38 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
The last paragraph of the article is only tangentially related and should not have been included, but it's far more interesting.

In 2019, a Knoxville, Tennessee, law firm announced an investigation into a potential class-action lawsuit against companies that sell bike helmets lacking new anti-concussion technology like WaveCel and MIPS. Greg Coleman Law is advertising on TopClassActions.com, trying to find people who have suffered head injuries while using helmets lacking the new technologies. The potential lawsuit was first reported by the Bicycle Helmet Safety Insitute, and a spokesman there told BRAIN on Thursday there has been no update.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-09-21, 10:38 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I've opted in to a couple class action lawsuits. The biggest return that I got was from buying a diamond engagement ring, and (IIRC) that class action check wouldn't have covered date night at McDonalds.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-09-21, 11:02 AM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
While most of these class action lawsuits are a joke, not all are.

In the mid 90's I able to get all of the polybutylene plumbing ripped out if my house and replaced with copper under a class action lawsuit. In addition I was reimbursed for the repairs and damages from 2 leaks the occurred prior the house being replumbed. This was a very big job amounting to several thousand dollars but could have been even more since both of my leaks very fairly minor and didn't do a lot of damage.

On the other hand, the Trek lawsuit is laughable. It doesn't seem terribly worse than most of the garbage that comes out of these marketing departments.
Likes For August West:
Old 01-09-21, 11:09 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9531 Post(s)
Liked 6,273 Times in 3,459 Posts
Puffing is not very actionable, especially in federal court. If the suit is not dismissed, there may be a settlement giving buyers of the helmets like me a coupon for $3.50 off the purchase of a new Trek helmet.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 01-09-21, 08:55 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

From a thread in Advocacy and Safety... sums it up perfectly.....

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Class action suits like this benefit the plaintiff lawyers, and typically offer next to nothing for the consumer. These guys will nit pic Trek’s advertising, throw spaghetti against the wall, and hope enough sticks to coerce a settlement from Trek that will pay the lawyers millions, and give Wave cell helmet purchasers a $10 coupon on a new helmet.

There’s data out there on Wave Cell, MIPS, and standard helmets. As a consumer, you can review that data and draw your own conclusions.

A class action lawsuit industry that enriches lawyers only drives up costs, and does nothing to help me as a consumer.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 01-09-21, 09:06 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I've opted in to a couple class action lawsuits. The biggest return that I got was from buying a diamond engagement ring, and (IIRC) that class action check wouldn't have covered date night at McDonalds.
I remember that diamond lawsuit- 13-15 years ago or so? Ha, I'd forgotten about it until now.
Old 01-09-21, 09:41 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I remember that diamond lawsuit- 13-15 years ago or so? Ha, I'd forgotten about it until now.
Sounds about right.
Old 01-10-21, 11:27 AM
dbf73
TFO

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL7 eTap, Felt AR-B, Colnago Master Mapei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
My one complaint and I knew it going into it, you can not scratch your head with it on...
Does that mean bees and wasps can’t get in and sting or just no itching when they do?

Last edited by dbf73; 01-10-21 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-10-21, 01:43 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by dbf73
Does that mean bees and wasps can’t get in and sting or just no itching when they do?
Yea I would find it amazed if the little buggers could get in there while you are riding without a lot of effort on their part. They would have to be pretty damn small.

Old 01-10-21, 04:55 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by August West
While most of these class action lawsuits are a joke, not all are.
Agreed. My personal example, is I got several thousand dollars from the Porsche IMS class action, where Porsche knowingly continued to market a flawed design, leading to engine failure costing thousands of dollars to repair.

However, the Trek example is trying to cash in on debatable marketing claims that have caused no tangible injury to anyone.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 01-10-21, 09:08 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Agreed. My personal example, is I got several thousand dollars from the Porsche IMS class action, where Porsche knowingly continued to market a flawed design, leading to engine failure costing thousands of dollars to repair.

However, the Trek example is trying to cash in on debatable marketing claims that have caused no tangible injury to anyone.
Paying more for the helmet if its based on lies could be viewed as an 'injury'.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-11-21, 05:24 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Paying more for the helmet if its based on lies could be viewed as an 'injury'.
True, but consumers routinely choose to pay extra for helmets based on marketing. You can buy a Wave Cell helmet from Trek for anywhere from $99 to $299. The puffery used to justify the higher end Wave Cell, just like higher end Giro’s and other brands is at least as suspect as any problem with their safety claims. Also you can pay as much or more for a MIPS helmet, or a conventional helmet.

I have a Wave Cell helmet. I knew when I bought it that the safety claims were based on limited data. I’m not terribly upset that there’s now additional data to question the original data, and I’m certainly not holding my breath waiting for my $10 off coupon.
Old 01-11-21, 06:22 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
30 years in clinical research makes all helmet superiority claims seem pretty airy to me, but 33 years in clinical neurology makes me buy MIPS. Wavecell looks too hot.
Old 01-11-21, 06:46 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
Ditto on class action suits. The most I ever got was $3.00 for a multi million dollar suit. The legal fees eat most of the settlement and then, by the time it is divided up , a couple of dollars to those that were involved.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 01-11-21, 09:41 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

True, but consumers routinely choose to pay extra for helmets based on marketing. You can buy a Wave Cell helmet from Trek for anywhere from $99 to $299. The puffery used to justify the higher end Wave Cell, just like higher end Giro’s and other brands is at least as suspect as any problem with their safety claims. Also you can pay as much or more for a MIPS helmet, or a conventional helmet.

I have a Wave Cell helmet. I knew when I bought it that the safety claims were based on limited data. I’m not terribly upset that there’s now additional data to question the original data, and I’m certainly not holding my breath waiting for my $10 off coupon.
https://cyclingtips.com/2021/01/trek...safety-claims/

This helps explain some of the issue too. You mentioned missing which made me think of this article. Mips is very careful to claim there us a measurable benefit. Its how all the brands are, really...except Bontrager.

Bontrager declared its X % safer and thats being challeneged. Its the potential downside of making a definitive claim. The potential upside is that Bontrager shows supporting evidence and they get some good publicity because courts accept the claim that their helmet is safer.

All this really comes down to how the helmets safety is tested. 2 tests can produce 2 different results. When comparing a lot of helmets, 10 tests can produce 10 different tests, probably.
This helmet does well with side glancing blow, this helmet does well with hit to the crown, this helmet does best in a back of head impact, etc etc etc.

I'm not hoping trek wins or loses, its all just quite interesting to me since they were so bold with their marketing.
Old 01-11-21, 10:39 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

An hilarious thing about the article is that another Class Action firm is looking to sue helmet manufacturers for not using Wave Cell technology. As a manufacturer you’re damned if you do and if you don’t.

These Class action firms, are not regular lawyers responding to the needs of clients who come to them with problems needing redressed. They actively seek out alleged problems and discrepancies so they can bring suit. Once they gin up a theory, then they find a lead plaintiff. And file suit.
Old 01-11-21, 11:39 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
The last paragraph of the article is only tangentially related and should not have been included, but it's far more interesting.
I was just about to quote this. Bring out a new product and get sued because it isn't industry changing. Don't adopt the new non-industry changing technology and get sued for not adopting it....

The US has to adopt a "losing plaintiff pays the defendents costs" model in lawsuits.
Old 01-11-21, 12:26 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
30 years in clinical research makes all helmet superiority claims seem pretty airy to me, but 33 years in clinical neurology makes me buy MIPS. Wavecell looks too hot.
+1. My experience with clinical neurology was as a patient. Early Lambert owner who experienced the fork failure - going most of 35 mph. Coma, CAT scan (1977 when those computerized felines still carried the letter "A"). Since then it has taken very little to hit my head hard enough for another concussion.. I've even received them from hard body slams,no head contact. (Slightly different dynamic but I call it "NFL loose brain syndrome". Pretty sure those linemen would get what I'm saying right away.)

2013 I had a nasty spill. Hit my head hard. (Fully conscious and aware in real time what was happening until my brain decided I didn't need to witness the bones breaking and the rest. As soon as I came to a stop, I was fully conscious. The following car was right where it should be. So, what made this crash so interesting in terms of this discussion was the complete lack of concussion despite hitting my head hard. (Real damage to the helmet that matched my memory.) But I apparently hadn't tightened my chinstrap. Helmet twisted near off, carrying off my glasses (and cutting my face with them). Nearly took off my opposing ear.

A fellow cyclist happened to be behind me and witnessed everything. Had some emergency training. Walked me around (though I hardly needed his physical support. I had busted collarbone and ribs and knew it but I could walk just fine.) Questioned me and found me completely coherent.

A couple of week later I read about MIPS. The concept of the helmet slipping, Yes! My helmet slipped badly and I walked away with zero concussion to this NFL brain! I'm on. Get me one! Took over a year but I bought the first visibly colored MIPS helmet that fit. Haven't crashed it yet (and presume I have frustrated Murphy; a good indication that it works).
Old 01-11-21, 01:50 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Trek claims "up to 48x", not "48x." This means "48x or less", same thing. As for the test data it should all be reproducible and independently verifiable.
https://trek.scene7.com/is/content/Tr...ct_testing.pdf
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 01-11-21, 01:53 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by stevel610
The US has to adopt a "losing plaintiff pays the defendents costs" model in lawsuits.
Safety products have a hard row to hoe in the market because it's always more money up front to avoid costs that might not occur later, and it's full cost sunk immediately, not a small monthly price like insurance. When the guy who invented the auto-brake table saw got no traction in the market, he tried to get insurance companies to require it of wood shops. I haven't checked in on that story lately. It was a really difficult sell, because when the saw braked there was a large assembly to replace, in addition to costing more up front. So "false positives" were very expensive. But real positives prevent losing fingers. Lots of times this is solved in reality by having the government take care of it, with regulation.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.