Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

frame pump

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

frame pump

Old 02-27-21, 09:47 PM
leilin

Bikes: mongoose

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
frame pump

Hi.

Today I went out for a quick ride, ~30 miles, and in the middle I had a rear tire flat. At first I thought, no problem, just switch out the inner tube, pump it up and off I go. Unfortunately I found out that the small frame pump, I bought ~10 year ago from Walmart did not work. I was lucky that nearby there is a Auto part store and I borrowed their floor pump. the guy inside the store saved my day.

would anyone suggest me a frame pump, I want a durable one, ~30 cm long (that I may put it into my bag), and as economical as possible.

I did a [pump] search inside the [tour] forum and did not get any useful information. I would be very appreciate if someone can pass me a url about the frame pump. I am sure there are tons of information inside bike forum, but I cannot find any.

Thanks.

Dan
Old 02-27-21, 11:25 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15, '03 Litespeed Firenze

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/...mp-mfdr-v204hv
but I got this one, not cheap - it is a mini floor pump, so very easy to use.
Likes For phtomita:
Old 02-28-21, 06:32 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
A few years ago I wrote up a comparison of two of the most often recommended pumps on this forum at:
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...l#post18521373
Old 02-28-21, 08:13 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
At home I use a floor pump with a built-in pressure gauge that has a dual chuck to fit both Schrader and Presta vavles.

I have used my frame-mounted pumps exactly once in the last twenty+ years. I carry a spare tube/tire levers and patch kit on every bike in a small seat bag, too.
My Fuji and Univega Gran Tourismo carry vintage full-size Zefal HPs, whereas the Miyata has a mini-pump.

Care to guess which bike got the flat? Yep, the Miyata.
With that mini-pump, it was work to get the 700x28 up to ~50-60psi - enough for me to complete my morning commute. I used the air compressor at work to top it off to full pressure for the ride home.

Word to the wise -- Always carry a $1 Presta/Schrader adapter in the seat bag!!! I'm glad I do!

Old 02-28-21, 10:05 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by phtomita
https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/...mp-mfdr-v204hv
but I got this one, not cheap - it is a mini floor pump, so very easy to use.
I have this one and love it. I use it for travelling as well as its easy to put in a suitcase and use in your hotel room.
If you’re travelling in a group rather than solo you can also split out the gear carrying responsibility of bigger stuff. No need to have four floor pumps and four chain tools etc.
Old 02-28-21, 10:34 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Some flavor of Topeak Morph. Mountain, Road, Mini, etc. Nothing else even comes close...including the Lezyne. I have at least a dozen on the bikes I own.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-28-21, 10:40 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Some flavor of Topeak Morph. Mountain, Road, Mini, etc. Nothing else even comes close...including the Lezyne. I have at least a dozen on the bikes I own.
And I thought me being lazy and having 3 Morphs I move between bikes was a lot! 🍻👍
Likes For imi:
Old 02-28-21, 02:15 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
My smaller Lezynes can get me home on a day ride but the Road Morphs can keep my tires topped off and riding day after day on tour.
Old 02-28-21, 02:35 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Word to the wise -- Always carry a $1 Presta/Schrader adapter in the seat bag!!! I'm glad I do!
Every bike I own has that adapter threaded on the rear wheel presta valve, I also have a shrader cap threaded on top of the adapter to keep dust out of the valve stem.

Old 02-28-21, 07:49 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Every bike I own has that adapter threaded on the rear wheel presta valve, I also have a shrader cap threaded on top of the adapter to keep dust out of the valve stem.

Well, that's one way to get a Presta valve stem cap that doesn't split and fall off, LOL!
Old 02-28-21, 09:09 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I prefer the Lezyne head system over the the plastic head lever/gasket system of Topeak, which seems to be a point of failure for me. But, YMMV.
Old 02-28-21, 10:07 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
I prefer the Lezyne head system over the the plastic head lever/gasket system of Topeak, which seems to be a point of failure for me. But, YMMV.
Like I said, I own a dozen of these at least. My oldest pump is from around 2000 and has been carried around on my bike and used since I bought it. I’ve never had a head fail on me. Frankly, I dislike the Lezyne screw on head and much prefer the lock lever system. The pump handle on the Lezyne is also quite uncomfortable.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-01-21, 12:55 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

I’ve had a couple of Road Morphs where the clip that holds the foot stand flush to the pump has broken, leaving it loose. Not a deal breaker as it just hangs down a little bit when on the bike, but a design flaw imo.
Old 03-01-21, 12:49 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by imi
I’ve had a couple of Road Morphs where the clip that holds the foot stand flush to the pump has broken, leaving it loose. Not a deal breaker as it just hangs down a little bit when on the bike, but a design flaw imo.
I seldom flip out the foot peg. I just pump into the ground. The pump is short enough that actually using foot peg gives me a head rush

Old 03-01-21, 09:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Another vote for Topeak Road Morph. I have a good deal of Topeak pumps, Turbo Morph, Race Rocket HP, Pocket Shock and I believe I have a Mountain Morph somewhere in the house. For on the go pumps I don't really think I want anything but Topeak. My at home pump is currently the nicest pump that Blackburn made a few years ago because my nice one broke and they replaced it but couldn't come close to the old one. I am considering my options and might just go Topeak on that as well when the other Blackburn pump craps the bed but I am just not sure what I want.
Old 03-08-21, 11:01 AM
nagakuraruan

Bikes: 2020 Julianna Quincy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Another vote for the mini floor pump. Its so easy to use.
Old 03-08-21, 11:23 AM
imi
aka Timi

Originally Posted by nagakuraruan
Another vote for the mini floor pump. Its so easy to use.
I have a morph mini as my commuting pump as it fits easier into my work bag, but I find the short hose to be a bit more awkward compared to the road morph’s that I take on tour.