Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Longest time you have spent looking for a dropped part

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Longest time you have spent looking for a dropped part

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-21, 02:10 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I now put a 12x12 foot painters pale tan canvas drop cloth under my bike repair stand for just that purpose. When the tiny allen bolt that holds the brake pads onto rim brake shoe dropped out I was able to quickly find it. It also prevents bearing from rolling all over. The canvas also minimizes bounce. When done I just fold it over the legs of the stand.

My longest "search" for a part was for a front disc brake caliper spring for my pickup. It popped off with a loud ping and was lost forever. I used a heavy magnet all over the grass beside the carport and nothing. Years later during a remodel of the carport/driveway I thought it might surface, but even using the ultra heavy duty magnet our contractor had nothing. As with all lost springs, I believe that the harmonic vibrations of a spring type of object opens a temporal rift in the fabric of time and they are sent into a parallel universe and lost forever.

Parts never get lost when a store is open to get a replacement.
Old 03-08-21, 02:48 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
BITD I had a moderate little wipe-out on the bike, and discovered later that the pedal dustcap had spun off.

After weeks of searching for a replacement, I went back to the crash site & found the part by the side of the road.

IME, the parts that get lost are not readily replaceable.
Old 03-08-21, 07:54 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
I don’t know that I’ve ever searched a long time for something. But tonight taking some Bridgestone SCs apart I heard something drop. All I found was something that appears to be a spacer. I’ve spent a few minutes trying to tell where it goes and as far as I can tell it doesn’t go to this brake. If it is a bearing out of a chain I removed some links from a few weeks ago, the housekeeper isn’t doing a good job vacuuming my den.

Old 03-09-21, 04:55 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Love this topic! The little clip that secures the disc pad bolt, at least a hour then gave up. Traded the bike (2018 Diverge) in for a new one (2020 Diverge) just because I knew it wasn’t right.
basically, if you lost one of the digits of the address during a restoration project, you'd just sell the house & have another one made. Sounds practical!
Old 03-09-21, 09:44 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Not a bike part, but I am still looking for my wedding ring, which slipped off my finger while I was working on my bike in the garage about six years ago.
I found someone else’s wedding ring in my yard 30 years after it was lost. Previous owner. We were doing landscaping and sifting dirt to reclaim it for raised beds.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-09-21, 09:50 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
I’m sure that the bike co-op I volunteer at has vast drifts of ball bearings and tiny screws used on some Shimano shifters behind all of the work stations. An alternative explanation is that the parts fall into an interdimensional crack in the floor and are worshiped as sacred objects in another universe.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-09-21, 10:40 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
One of the most important lessons I learned working in a bike shop was to watch that danged part fall when you dropped it. Most of the time, you can track it down if you keep an eye on it. Sometimes even that doesn't work.
This - stop everything and look to see where it goes. Many's the time working up ladder, I drop a screw or something, and I watch it bounce off a lower rung and head off in some random direction. I keep looking at its final location as I slowly descend the ladder. Most of the time I can retrieve it.
Old 03-09-21, 11:06 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
I usually find it after losing something else a few weeks later. I've learned to use magnetic tools to hold on to small parts.
Old 03-09-21, 03:12 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Ha. Years.

When I was getting back into cycling about 2 years ago I decided to pull my hydraulic disc brake pads off to check for wear. While reassembling them I dropped the tiny clip that keeps the retaining bolt from backing out. I heard it hit something on the way down but never saw what direction it was headed. My garage floor is epoxy coated with flakes so finding anything that small is a challenge to say the least. I spent at least an hour on my hands and knees looking for it. Nada. Finally I gave up but since it was a safety issue I didn't want to ride without it. So went to the LBS which I'd never been to before since I was new in the area. The manager was able to dig around in back and find one for me. No charge. I alway remembered that and appreciated it. So much so I ended up spending over 5 figures with them since. And I never have found that damn clip although I still keep an eye out for it.