Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Specialized Allez Epic Restoration

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-05-15, 08:04 PM
Baroudeur

Bikes: 198? Colnago Sprint (Columbus SL), 199? Specialized Allez Epic (carbon), 19?? Peugeot Optimum (Reynolds 531)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

The story of this Specialized Allez Epic began (for me) a year and a half ago in Tucson, Arizona, where I bought it on the cheap as a replacement for a stolen commuter bike. When I got it, the bike was in rough shape -- filthy, poorly tuned, dried-up tires, peeling bar tape, etc. -- but it was inexpensive transportation, which I needed at the time.

I always told myself that someday, when I had time and money, I'd get the bike fixed up -- that was how I justified using the bike as a commuter. I figured that by buying the bike, I was providing it with a deferred salvation!

Anyhow, circumstances have returned me to Spokane, WA, and since it's summer and I'm a teacher, I've finally had time to fulfill that mental bargain. Here are some pictures from the restoration.

I removed everything from the frame. Cleaning grimy derailleurs took a bit of time!

Here' I'm about to start re-assembly. All the bits are clean!

Clean drive train:

After setting everything up, I took the bike for a shakedown ride. Made it to the top of Krell Hill -- either I'm weak, or the bike isn't geared for climbing! My Colnago seems to have much lower low gears.

All dialed in, and with new tires:

That's my story!
Old 06-05-15, 08:12 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Information on the Cinelli Unicanitor you have for sale.

Wow!! What a transformation from tired and quite dull looking old CF bike, to a bike that now looks like it will leap off our screens!!
Congratulations on the very well done and thorough restoration of that Epic!!
May you have many miles and great rides on it for years to come!
I guess it's not a regular commuter bike for you anymore??
Old 06-05-15, 11:20 PM
72Paramount
I'm a Classic Man.

Bikes: Anything with a full record group.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My wife loves her epic. We picked it up cheap two summers ago, and ever since she only wants to ride road bikes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (105.6 KB, 185 views)
Likes For 72Paramount:
Old 06-06-15, 04:25 AM
Frogbutter 

Bikes: It's a SICKNESS!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
As a lover of all things with a big "S", you did an awesome job.

Your only hope is reciting 10 hail campagnolos to our lady of the duraace.

I'm happy to say that I own more Steel then Carbon. My Stable! ---> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmVZBep7
Old 06-06-15, 08:46 AM
SurfNTurf

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last edited by SurfNTurf; 06-10-15 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-06-15, 10:22 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
What is it about those bikes that makes them fun to build? Must be the chance to use yeller tires.

For my cousin Laura, with which to attempt her first Dairyland Dare (after her first triathlon)....
Old 06-06-15, 11:23 AM
Baroudeur

Bikes: 198? Colnago Sprint (Columbus SL), 199? Specialized Allez Epic (carbon), 19?? Peugeot Optimum (Reynolds 531)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
I guess it's not a regular commuter bike for you anymore??
Thank you! No, this is my second "official nice bike" now, no more commuting on it. Now that I have a real job, I'll probably be investing in a more purpose-built commuter soon -- either something new from the LBS, or else a non-racing-oriented older frame to build.

The other Allez (Allezs? Allezes?) above all look great, and very different from one another! @SurfNSPIC, I like the darker look with the black bar tape, and those tires look good too. @RobbieTunes' emphasizes the black and the yellow -- very cool! I like that the bar tape on yours matches the Specialized Allez text better. I just grabbed the only yellow bar tape that the LBS had in stock! @72Paramount, looks like a lot of nice bikes leaning against that wall.

Last edited by Baroudeur; 06-06-15 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-19-15, 12:25 PM
painkiller

Bikes: Mongoose AMP,Gary Fisher Gemini Tandom,Mongoose IBOC comp,Custom trek 14spd

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice! Mine is a 1990 I think and still a work in progress, I was able to save the original bartape, The seat did not fair as well but the lycra cover still good and could be restored later.

Old 11-03-16, 07:11 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I hate to bring up an old thread, but can anyone tell me how these bikes ride? Are they real flexy, stiff or what? Back in the day I always wanted to ride one of those lugged carbon bikes but never did. This one is for sale near me for a decent price ($250) and it has me intrigued. A LBS has it and it's all ready to go so I wouldn't have to put any money in it.

Old 11-03-16, 07:40 PM
sloar

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked 1,120 Times in 421 Posts
I picked one up at a rummage sale the other day. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet, waiting on new levers which should be here tomorrow. I can give a ride report this weekend, but I'm sure someone will chime in before then.
Old 11-03-16, 09:52 PM
cinco

Bikes: Forty of them

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I hate to bring up an old thread, but can anyone tell me how these bikes ride? Are they real flexy, stiff or what? Back in the day I always wanted to ride one of those lugged carbon bikes but never did. This one is for sale near me for a decent price ($250) and it has me intrigued. A LBS has it and it's all ready to go so I wouldn't have to put any money in it.
I just finished one a few weeks ago and since it's my first foray into the world of carbon fiber I was wondering the same thing the whole time. I haven't put too many miles on it yet but my initial impression is that the ride quality is quite nice. With 170lbs on a 57cm frame it doesn't flex badly under hard out-of-the-saddle climbing and yet it also doesn't beat me to death on lousy roads - far more forgiving than the old Cannondales I've had. It feels pretty good overall, without any unexpected weirdness.
Old 11-03-16, 11:02 PM
CoRide59

Bikes: 1992 De Rosa SLX, 1992 Specialized Epic, Late 60's Bottecchia Proffessional, 1998 Stumpjumper M2, 1992 Stumpjumper M2 (in a box)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had an Epic since the early 90's. I think its a 93 but I really don't remember for sure. I bought the bare frame new from a shop at the time and built it up with mostly TriColor Ultegra stuff. To me it rides quite nice, absorbs a lot of the bumps, and seems to soften out a lot of the road vibrations. Thats the big one, the lack of vibration, that I think makes it so comfortable. Its not as lively as my SLX De Rosa but it is lighter. I've enjoyed the hell out of it really, which I guess is why I've had it for around 23 years now. It's also very quiet.

Old 11-04-16, 04:46 AM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass

They ride very nicely. Good century bikes. The aluminum fork transfers some vibrations but that can be replaced if you want it even smoother.

The place where the flex becomes an issue is on hard stops into corners (especially down hill). The frame can "load up" then release as you let off the brakes. Need to get used to that. If you aren't in a race type hurry it is a nonissue. As a crit bike that was a real problem.

Stiff enough for me as a climber (155 at the time).