Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Know of any gov-funded cycling-advocacy org that not doing it job:

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 03-29-16, 07:20 AM
molten

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That not responding to actually "advocate", hence stand-up to argue for, for cyclists.
Like joining a cyclist's action to present an issue to city/county council, traffic commission, etc.
Add the group not serving an obligation to speak to the media, when issues like potholes, lack of gov. action to repair roads -- etc. go on.
Old 03-29-16, 08:07 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I don't think there are any complete sentences anywhere in that post that make any sense. I can't figure out what you want. Apologies if you are not a native English speaker.
Old 03-29-16, 08:10 AM
Chief

Bikes: SR, Bianchi, Raleigh, Bertin, Kona, Schwinn, Eisentraut, Zunow, Columbine, Naked, Nishiki, Phillips, Specialized, Giant

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I don't think there are any complete sentences anywhere in that post that make any sense. I can't figure out what you want. Apologies if you are not a native English speaker.
Okay... it's not just me....
Old 03-29-16, 08:15 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
Originally Posted by Chief
Okay... it's not just me....
Or me. I can't quite puzzle it out.
Old 03-29-16, 08:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Or me three.
Old 03-29-16, 08:21 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
I ran it through a Gibberish Translator:
The answer is No!
Perhaps the OP should reveal if he knows of any such organization and could provide details in English..
Old 03-29-16, 08:30 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike

Old 03-29-16, 08:49 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by molten
Know of any gov-funded cycling-advocacy org that not doing it job: That not responding to actually "advocate", hence stand-up to argue for, for cyclists.
Like joining a cyclist's action to present an issue to city/county council, traffic commission, etc.
Add the group not serving an obligation to speak to the media, when issues like potholes, lack of gov. action to repair roads -- etc. go on.
Although... most people don't think of advocacy groups as being publicly (government) funded.... many are. Any (which literally means every) lobbying group that influences congress in it's allocation of funding is entitled (under federal regulations) to class action funding. So... you could Google [search] for a "National Bicycle Lobbyist"... or you could just go directly to the League of American Bicyclists.

Of course... once any organization gets the bulk of it's funding from a single source... that is who/what they become. "The League" mostly lobbies for bicycle path infrastructure spending... and they get a percentage/class action funding in return... as I understand it. So road repair/potholes in streets... would be of no concern to them (making the short answer... no).

But you could try joining a local cycling group/club that may have shared interests in approaching local officials about the local street/traffic conditions.

However.... for most people the first response to a "pot hole" or "traffic problem" is to call the/their local city commissioner and ask that the problem be addressed.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 03-29-16 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-29-16, 08:49 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
The original post consists of remarkably opaque prose, even by BF standards.
Old 03-29-16, 10:03 AM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Or, In looking thorough the fog, even if I know some advocacy organization that's not doing its "job" so what? What is the OP suggesting one do? Or are they looking for suggestions on what to do? As I said, its early morning pea soup here.
Old 03-29-16, 11:26 AM
molten

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Although... most people don't think of advocacy groups as being publicly (government) funded.... many are. Any (which literally means every) lobbying group that influences congress in it's allocation of funding is entitled (under federal regulations) to class action funding. So... you could Google [search] for a "National Bicycle Lobbyist"... or you could just go directly to the League of American Bicyclists.

Of course... once any organization gets the bulk of it's funding from a single source... that is who/what they become. "The League" mostly lobbies for bicycle path infrastructure spending... and they get a percentage/class action funding in return... as I understand it. So road repair/potholes in streets... would be of no concern to them (making the short answer... no).

But you could try joining a local cycling group/club that may have shared interests in approaching local officials about the local street/traffic conditions.

However.... for most people the first response to a "pot hole" or "traffic problem" is to call the/their local city commissioner and ask that the problem be addressed.
That be correct --- in whom to contact. But much of society is INSECURE nowadays. As taxpayers who contact to local & govt officials -- once contact be made, their name become avail to the public. Much of society be paranoia to making public comment, due to name of who made comments (add comments) made at public meetings -- possibly to become published or televised. So much paranoia.
Old 03-29-16, 02:20 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

.... But much of society is INSECURE nowadays.
No. Insecurity is a individual human feeling... it is never an emotion attributed to a group.

.... So much paranoia.
Again no. paranoia is a mental condition characterized by delusions of persecution, unwarranted jealousy, or exaggerated self-importance, typically elaborated into an organized system. It may be an aspect of chronic personality disorder, of drug abuse, or of a serious condition such as schizophrenia in which the person loses touch with reality.

You should discuss these feelings with loved ones, family, your healthcare provider, spiritual leader, friends, someone in HR at work. Get help. You don't have to live with those feelings. There are treatments that can help.
Old 03-29-16, 03:07 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
The City of New York has a good complaint department. You can dial 311 from a NYC landline, you can use the 311 smartphone app, or you can lodge a complaint on their web site. I have used it several times with good success, but one thing that really annoys me is that the site says they are NOT taking any more reports of sewer grates that need replacement. How can they have a policy like that? We still have some of the longitudinal bike-tire-eating type.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-29-16, 08:35 PM
walrus1

Bikes: Schwinn World Sport Jamis Ventura

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
The City of New York has a good complaint department. You can dial 311 from a NYC landline, you can use the 311 smartphone app, or you can lodge a complaint on their web site. I have used it several times with good success, but one thing that really annoys me is that the site says they are NOT taking any more reports of sewer grates that need replacement. How can they have a policy like that? We still have some of the longitudinal bike-tire-eating type.
You got 311 to do something?!!! Usually, they come by a few hours later and mark the problem as solved. Or they fix the problem months later when they repave a road.
Old 03-29-16, 08:58 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by walrus1
You got 311 to do something?!!! Usually, they come by a few hours later and mark the problem as solved. Or they fix the problem months later when they repave a road.
The best time was when the river bike path was covered in ice for almost two miles. No one used it. It seemed the city had forgotten about it. They cleared it a few days after I requested it!

Save this in your address book: (212) 639-9675. That's the "real" number for 311.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-30-16, 06:30 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
it's illegal to use federal funds to lobby congress. The class action funding that you mention is also incorrect, they get no funding as part of government programs to build infrastructure. However, your advice about potholes is correct, LAB is not going to help with that except possibly to tell you to call your local government.
Old 03-30-16, 08:46 AM
Dave Cutter

Originally Posted by unterhausen
it's illegal to use federal funds to lobby congress.
Were you out-of-town in 1993 when Bill Clinton forever changed that? The "class action" loophole is a remnant of the Clinton years.

The class action funding that you mention is also incorrect, they get no funding as part of government programs to build infrastructure.
So... you don't think the LAB is a registered lobbyist?!?! Getting funding from that activity?!?!? Maybe... you should read their own Web Pages. I rarely include links as people then just dig up bogus meaningless links to counteract... starting link wars (which are childish). This link better shows the exploitation of federal funding in lobbying ... with the LAB. But nowhere will you find the exact millions (of taxpayer dollars) the lawyers at LAB are raking in.

However, your advice about potholes is correct, LAB is not going to help with that except possibly to tell you to call your local government.
Of course I am correct. But only because facts don't need to be liked or desired... they are just truths.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 03-30-16 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-30-16, 01:30 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Old 03-30-16, 07:50 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Like Clockwork:

Old 03-30-16, 07:58 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I'm reminded of a protester I used to see on my way to work every day.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
frankchu2.jpg (66.6 KB, 22 views)
Old 04-02-16, 06:12 AM
The Quiet One

Bikes: Felt Z100, Trek 720

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Normal gibberish or authentic frontier gibberish translator?
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
The answer is No!
Perhaps the OP should reveal if he knows of any such organization and could provide details in English..
Old 04-02-16, 07:01 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by The Quiet One
Street Corner Ranter with Internet Access version.
Old 04-02-16, 07:20 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Im sure like any big government spending there are some advocacy groups that spend their money wisely, and some that dont. I would like to hear and see proof which ones are not.
Old 04-03-16, 07:26 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by The Quiet One
Howard Johnson is right!

Raregh.
Old 04-03-16, 09:36 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
tax deductible charities are private funds diverted from going away in taxes to the government.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.