Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

I got bit today

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

I got bit today

Old 02-21-21, 02:53 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
I agree Bald Paul ; 99% of the time it's the owners. Someone around here calls them "dog feeders", since they don't teach their dogs manners; just feed 'em and let 'em run loose.
Old 02-22-21, 07:41 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 504 Times in 320 Posts
I’ve gone back to riding that street. (McNutt) in both directions. It really is the best way riding wise to go. No traffic and mostly pleasant otherwise. That day I got bit I really didn’t get a good look at the house. The dog was in the street when I saw it and after the incident it went back up onto his lawn. I did notice a brown front door but there are several along that stretch of road.

A couple days ago while going that same direction on that road I had another incident. A worker was filling up a dumpster in the road when a little white (previous was black) dog got out of a car in a driveway and started for me. As I and the worker watched him approach I used a BF suggested skill and yelled “Stop Go Home”.

i was straddling my bike at the time. The dog and I and the worker all looked at each other. After a brief moment the dog turned around and the worker went back to shoveling. I looked for the responsible human just as a door closed in a car in the driveway.

At least that stopped the dog. But I was still unsure of what house it came from and who the owner is. Sigh. In another week or so the construction will hopefully be complete on Oak Park Blvd and I can use that road with it’s new completed bike lanes. Hope they really are better.

Thanks for listening.
Old 02-22-21, 11:34 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
Small black shaggy dog chased me down the street and then nipped on my left ankle.

I’ve been riding on McNutt Ave recently in Walnut Creek to avoid the construction going on a block over for a new library and condo complex. In fact I have really enjoyed getting away from the construction and have waved and dinged my bell at several people and thought I was getting at least a little bit known. I go by there almost every day.

Then this morning I was heading West on McNutt and heard some barking behind me. I couldn’t really see behind me that well so didn’t think much about it. Then I felt a bite on my left ankle.

I stopped immediately and put both feet down. I yelled loudly and then turned back to look. A small black sort of shaggy dog was running away and then was sitting on a lawn. I walked my bike a couple yards ahead and the dog stayed there. I noticed the front door of that house was partially open.

So I yelled “heh, your dog just bit me. As##ole”. a couple times. No reaction.

Considering the situation and the amount of gun owners in that area I just rode on. I could just see myself knocking on the door and getting shot. Such is the world I live in.

I couldn’t really check at the time what with my thick socks and tights but when I got home there seemed to be no skin broken. And anyway it was probably too late to make any claim.

So here I am, pissed as hell about that dog and the owner and the state of our country.

thanks for letting me rant. What street will I choose tomorrow?
Getting nipped by a dog got you pissed about the current state of the country?
Old 02-22-21, 11:37 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Did you know it is possible to bruise a human penis? A dog taught me that when it took down my bike.

Even little yappy dogs can take down a bike and dog owners never think their dog is a threat, so yes, there is great reason to act like a jerk.
A dog taught you how to bruise someone’s penis?
Old 02-23-21, 03:23 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
A dog taught you how to bruise someone’s penis?
Is this where I make a joke about your mom's many talents?
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 02-23-21, 07:51 PM
TravelBiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Don't move to Asia, there are loose dogs in many countries. Over in Thailand my riding away from dogs was something that happened several times a week. Sometimes it was just barking then sometimes it was bark then follow or chase, other times there's no barking the minute you hear them they are near your bike or on your back. The bike actually adds a layer of safety between me and the dogs. On foot was much more dangerous. Shockingly i never got bit. I keep either some rocks in my pocket or if im walking sometimes i walking stick. Over in Cambodia, where i am now, if they have a problem with the local dog they EAT the dog, thus there is less of a problem than in Thailand.
Old 02-24-21, 06:50 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by TravelBiker
Over in Cambodia, where i am now, if they have a problem with the local dog they EAT the dog,
There's some type of Karma lesson in there somewhere.
Old 03-06-21, 10:54 AM
Miliolid

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had some really annoying dog encounters today. Well, not so much dog encounters but dog owner encounters. Big two lane cycle path that can also be used by pedestrians. Who were out in full force with their dogs today, blocking the path, standing right in the middle happily chatting away, etc. I had two very hard breaks when in one case a woman could not control her off the lead dog and he nearly ran in front of my bike. She shouted at me for not taking care! Second time a big boxer dog or similar trotted in front of my bike, with the owner just staring. Why? I wasn't going fast, about 20kmh on my everyday bike. If a race biker would have been there it could have ended ugly.
Old 03-06-21, 11:09 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Getting nipped by a dog got you pissed about the current state of the country?
That was my takeaway too.
Old 03-08-21, 01:00 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Miliolid
I had some really annoying dog encounters today. Well, not so much dog encounters but dog owner encounters. Big two lane cycle path that can also be used by pedestrians. Who were out in full force with their dogs today, blocking the path, standing right in the middle happily chatting away, etc. I had two very hard breaks when in one case a woman could not control her off the lead dog and he nearly ran in front of my bike. She shouted at me for not taking care! Second time a big boxer dog or similar trotted in front of my bike, with the owner just staring. Why? I wasn't going fast, about 20kmh on my everyday bike. If a race biker would have been there it could have ended ugly.
Yeah, the weather's warming up here too.

I had several (bad dog owner) encounters my last ride out as well. Time to go back to mostly residential streets and bike lanes.

I have to say, though, that people seem a little more concerned about their dog when they see me coming in the velomobile. Maybe it's just because it's odd looking, but they seem to be better about getting themselves and their dogs/children out of the way.
Old 03-17-21, 11:47 PM
Xyzyxzyg

Bikes: 1983 Kuwahara Nova, 1984 Diamond Back Super Streak, 1990 Diamond Back Topanga, 2004 Fuji Sunfire, 2008 Diamond Back Response XE, 2009 Gary Fisher Piranha, 2018 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2019 Mongoose Stranger Things Edition.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Buddy of mine told me how he handled a menacing dog that lived near the end of his street.
Every time he rode by, the dog would come running after him, barking.
Then he started carrying Milk Bones dog treats with him on rides, and threw one to the dog when it started chasing him.
Didn't take long for the dog to realize my buddy rode by at certain times, and was waiting by the street for a treat.
Dog never bothered him again.
Old 03-20-21, 08:13 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by TravelBiker
Don't move to Asia, there are loose dogs in many countries. Over in Thailand my riding away from dogs was something that happened several times a week. Sometimes it was just barking then sometimes it was bark then follow or chase, other times there's no barking the minute you hear them they are near your bike or on your back. The bike actually adds a layer of safety between me and the dogs. On foot was much more dangerous. Shockingly i never got bit. I keep either some rocks in my pocket or if im walking sometimes i walking stick. Over in Cambodia, where i am now, if they have a problem with the local dog they EAT the dog, thus there is less of a problem than in Thailand.
Yup. My dog bite was in Hua Hin (shortly after, they came out with the story about faulty rabies vaccines in Hua Hin... made me glad I'd had the prophylactic shots, and went for the post-exposure shots after. Just in case.) Of course, I also regularly saw plenty of dogs-- most of them soi dogs-- who simply didn't give a crap about me one way or the other. But, I've heard stories from expats of problems with packs of dogs, especially in the rural areas.
Old 03-20-21, 10:34 PM
TravelBiker

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12
Yup. My dog bite was in Hua Hin (shortly after, they came out with the story about faulty rabies vaccines in Hua Hin... made me glad I'd had the prophylactic shots, and went for the post-exposure shots after. Just in case.) Of course, I also regularly saw plenty of dogs-- most of them soi dogs-- who simply didn't give a crap about me one way or the other. But, I've heard stories from expats of problems with packs of dogs, especially in the rural areas.
Yah, for me the only reason i wasnt bitten is that i am a fairly fast thin athletic guy so at the last minute i jumped out of the way and i think it freaked the dog out, and he ran. I knew if i got bit id have to get a rabies shot, so that saved me some $$
Old 03-22-21, 01:07 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Water bottle squirt to the face usually stops any dog in its tracks.

+1 I agree with previous post to file a Police report and take pictures of your foot as evidence.