Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

School me on dropper posts

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

School me on dropper posts

Old 01-20-21, 09:53 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
It may be fine to ride on real trails. The question then becomes is it enjoyable when compared to what's available on the market right now? Obviously something is amiss about this bike the way it is because the OP is asking about upgrades to make the riding experience more enjoyable. I guess if a person has never been on a newer bike for comparison purposes then "you don't know what you don't know."

If he has a bad back as claimed...the best thing he could do is get something with a little more squish that is easier on the body.
Of course a better bike would be better, but a dropper is a lot cheaper, and he will likely be able to use it on the next bike if he ends up getting a new one.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 01-20-21, 04:49 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Of course a better bike would be better, but a dropper is a lot cheaper, and he will likely be able to use it on the next bike if he ends up getting a new one.
It's a bit like always stating the obvious. Probably a vast number of people would benefit from buying a better bike, myself included. In the real world though, people often experience variables that suggest other solutions.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 01-24-21, 12:36 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
It may be fine to ride on real trails. The question then becomes is it enjoyable when compared to what's available on the market right now? Obviously something is amiss about this bike the way it is because the OP is asking about upgrades to make the riding experience more enjoyable. I guess if a person has never been on a newer bike for comparison purposes then "you don't know what you don't know."

If he has a bad back as claimed...the best thing he could do is get something with a little more squish that is easier on the body.
I have ridden new machinery. Which is why I'm looking at a fat bike. Nice and squishy, and easier on my back. The dropper post question was indeed, a simple question. And may be on my short list to purchase soon.

I'll guess you missed the post including an xray showing my 2 rods and 10 screws in my back. Burst fracture of my T9 vertebra, damaged 7, 8 and 10. Screws are from T7 to 12. But none in 9, as it was pretty much destroyed. So, no claim. Fact.

Not all of us can afford to throw lots of money at problems that only require small adjustmens. That's like buying a new car, because you got a flat tire on your old car. In my case, I just put a rebuilt engine in my 19 year old truck... Nothing wrong with the truck now...
Old 01-25-21, 09:51 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog
Which is why I'm looking at a fat bike. Nice and squishy, and easier on my back. .
That is incorrect since tires do not replace suspension. Assuming you are riding hard surfaces...When the tires are aired up to 10 psi or more you will get thrown around a lot due to the rigidity of it all. When the tire pressure is lowered you consistently bounce up and down like a basketball due to the fact there are no rebound or compression dampening adjustments like there are on a shock and fork. It will be worse on your back.

If you want something nice and squishy and easier on your back you are better off getting a full suspension 29er bike.

Last edited by prj71; 01-26-21 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-25-21, 10:41 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I just realized that the the question of whether the OP would make use of a dropper on his bike is pretty well answered by the fact that he has in fact lowered the saddle for riding dirt in the pic he posted.
Likes For Kapusta: