Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does Stem Angle Matter if Bar is in the Same Place?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-20-21, 08:55 PM
telebianchi

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts

I put 40 mm wider bars on my bike (400 to 440). Therefore, I am switching to a shorter stem to bring the bars back closer to me to account for the wider hand spacing. There are currently 25 mm of spacers beneath the existing stem. Using an online stem comparison calculator, if I use a 70mm 7 degree stem with the current 25mm spacers or a 70mm 17 degree stem with 10 mm of spacers, the bar will be in almost the same place. Since this is a bit of trial & error on my part, I'm not concerned about the couple of millimeter difference. For my current purposes, that's close enough.

My question is, if the bar ends up in essentially the same place is there any reason to use the 7 degree angle over the 17 degree, or vice versa? I'll be borrowing or buying a used/inexpensive stem to confirm fit first so if there's no preference between the angles, that will open up more inventory for me to look through.

Thanks!

Old 01-20-21, 09:12 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Your body will never know what stem you used. Getting your bars in the right place is all-important. How they got there isn't (unless strength or stiffness is compromised. (And in general, right location is far more important than stiffness unless you happen to be a track sprinter or the like.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-20-21, 10:04 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,872 Times in 4,637 Posts
To me, aesthetically, a shallower stem angle combined with more spacers is more attractive.

As far as your position on the bike, either will work.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-21-21, 03:36 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
It doesn't matter but also depends on what sort of compression plug is in your steerer.
15mm + of spacers on top might mean the steerer isn't internally supported as well as it could be without cutting the steerer.
Then you obviously can't go back.
But I also can't see the need in changing the reach because of the extra 4cm bar width.
Old 01-21-21, 05:55 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
But I also can't see the need in changing the reach because of the extra 4cm bar width.
I'm still trying to get my head around what the OP is trying to do. He's attempting to get his new bar to sit in the exact same place as the old bar, for some reason related to reach. And to get his bar to be in the same place as the old bar was, he's changing his stem angle and spacers?
Old 01-21-21, 08:59 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
The flaw in this analysis is the stem reach changes when the angle is changed. Most stems are measured along a line through the center of the steering tube clamp and the center of the handlebar clamp. A 100mm stem in the -17 position should be 100mm long, but when flipped up, the horizontal length becomes 829mm. There are other stem calculators that show the change in reach and height, when a stem is flipped.

That said, most people just change one thing at a time. Change the bars, but leave the stem alone, since any change in reach is very small.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 01-21-21, 10:19 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
The flaw in this analysis is the stem reach changes when the angle is changed. Most stems are measured along a line through the center of the steering tube clamp and the center of the handlebar clamp. A 100mm stem in the -17 position should be 100mm long, but when flipped up, the horizontal length becomes 829mm. There are other stem calculators that show the change in reach and height, when a stem is flipped.

That said, most people just change one thing at a time. Change the bars, but leave the stem alone, since any change in reach is very small.
Except, if I'm reading the OP's graphic, what you're talking about is mentioned in the calculator graphic he posted (2mm less reach and 4mm lower stack) and he's already aware of this.

I do agree though that a change in bar width (assuming the bar itself's reach is identical between the wider and narrower bars) isn't worth worrying about. In fact, OP may have it backwards, IF the wider bar he's installing more closely matches his shoulder width, then the distance would be shortened from shoulder to bar, not made greater.

I'm curious what length stem he has at the moment (guessing an 80mm)?
Old 01-21-21, 10:33 AM
telebianchi

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Thanks for the answers regarding stem angle having no effect on handling, etc if the bar ends up in the same spot.

Good comment about the number of spacers above the stem. It currently has a single 5 mm spacer there. So if I were to lower it by 15mm there would just be 20 mm above the stem. This is an aluminum steerer & stem. It has a star nut inside, not compression plug. I don't see any issues there.

As for the questions above about why I want this, it's simply because I sat on the bike and know that I need it. While 40 mm greater width may not sound like much, and I agree in theory, the hoods/levers are now farther apart from each other which means in order for my hands to grasp them I am leaning farther forward. On some bikes that might not be a big deal; on this bike it was clearly noticeable. For test rides, I nudged the saddle forward a little bit and raised the post to keep the saddle-to-cranks distance approximately the same. That was fine for test riding. But since this is a gravel bike*, in the long term that saddle position makes it difficult to get my butt off the back for descending or light single track. And how do I know that? Because I test rode the bike on the roads & trails that I use.

I do agree about the aesthetics of a shallow vs. steeper angle. In a perfect world all stems would be parallel to the ground. But at the end of the day I'm just more interested in riding my bike. If a 17 degree stem angle keeps my bike from getting a Super Nice on GCN, then so be it.

* why post about a gravel bike in the Road Cycling forum? Because gravel roads are still roads, the answer to the question I asked has nothing to do with the road surface, and there's a heck of a lot more traffic in here than the CX/Gravel forum and figured I'd get a quicker response.

Thanks again!!

Last edited by telebianchi; 01-21-21 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-21-21, 10:42 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Assuming that shoulders were 400mm wide, moving each hand out 20mm

would increase the reach about .4mm- about the thickness of a business card.

Might have to go custom for that stem.
Old 01-21-21, 11:27 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
why post about a gravel bike in the Road Cycling forum? Because gravel roads are still roads...
truth
Old 01-21-21, 12:28 PM
telebianchi

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Assuming that shoulders were 400mm wide, moving each hand out 20mm

would increase the reach about .4mm- about the thickness of a business card.

Might have to go custom for that stem.
Again, I have a general idea of what I need because I actually got on the bike, made some adjustments, rode the bike, tweaked some adjustments, rode the bike, etc. I have no idea what the measurement difference is between the old and new set up because, like you, I assumed it wouldn't make much of a difference. I was wrong; it did make a difference. I did some general play with Pythagorean theorem, but in the end it's about getting on the bike and riding. But my measurements are probably no better or worse than your assumption that my shoulders were 400mm wide to begin with. I have no clue, so how would you?

No need whatsoever for a custom stem. Between length, angle and spacers you can get pretty much whatever you need (see my screen shot above from the stem calculator). I have never had a problem dialing in a good fit on my bikes - road, gravel, CX, mountain, owned/borrowed/rented. I've averaged 4000 miles a year since 2013, and was probably in the 2400-2600 mile range starting in 2007 (pre-Strava/RidewithGPS). I've never had issues on single day rides up to 200 miles, or multi-day rides in the 350 mile range. I have no doubt there are certain people and bikes that might require a custom stem (similar example: a friend had a custom bar made for his flat-bar gravel/monsterX bike because he couldn't find what he wanted; but even he will admit that had as much to do with "want" as it did "need"), but the rest of us can do just fine with off-the-shelf products.

The current stem is some generic thing (the bike is a house-brand from Performance Bike, the only visible printing on the stem is the torque spec). Using a tape measure with inches, I think the current stem is 85 mm which I know is an uncommon length. It's shorter than several 90mm stems I have lying around, but the tape measure has it longer than 80mm. But I could be wrong. It's a little tough to get a 100% accurate measurement while the stem is on the bike clamping a bar in place.

Anywhoo, you all can continue to armchair quarterback my measurements, wants, needs, and decisions. That's what we often do here. I do it too. In the mean time, I'm going to go play bikes.

Last edited by telebianchi; 01-21-21 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-21-21, 12:45 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by telebianchi
Again, I have a general idea of what I need because I actually got on the bike, made some adjustments, rode the bike, tweaked some adjustments, rode the bike, etc. I have no idea what the measurement difference is between the old and new set up because, like you, I assumed it wouldn't make much of a difference. I was wrong; it did make a difference. I did some general play with Pythagorean theorem, but in the end it's about getting on the bike and riding. But my measurements are probably no better or worse than your assumption that my shoulders were 400mm wide to begin with. I have no clue, so how would you?

No need whatsoever for a custom stem. Between length, angle and spacers you can get pretty much whatever you need (see my screen shot above from the stem calculator). I have never had a problem dialing in a good fit on my bikes - road, gravel, CX, mountain, owned/borrowed/rented. I've averaged 4000 miles a year since 2013, and was probably in the 2400-2600 mile range starting in 2007 (pre-Strava/RidewithGPS). I've never had issues on single day rides up to 200 miles, or multi-day rides in the 350 mile range. I have no doubt there are certain people and bikes that might require a custom stem (similar example: a friend had a custom bar made for his flat-bar gravel/monsterX bike because he couldn't find what he wanted; but even he will admit that had as much to do with "want" as it did "need"), but the rest of us can do just fine with off-the-shelf products.

The current stem is some generic thing (the bike is a house-brand from Performance Bike, the only visible printing on the stem is the torque spec). Using a tape measure with inches, I think the current stem is 85 mm which I know is an uncommon length. It's shorter than several 90mm stems I have lying around, but the tape measure has it longer than 80mm. But I could be wrong. It's a little tough to get a 100% accurate measurement while the stem is on the bike clamping a bar in place.

Anywhoo, you all can continue to armchair quarterback my measurements, wants, needs, and decisions. That's what we often do here. I do it too. In the mean time, I'm going to go play bikes.

Apparently I failed to select the irony typeface for my comment.

Good luck getting your fit dialed in.
Old 01-21-21, 12:52 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Step angle doesn't matter. But as noted, reach will differ between two stems of same length but different angle. Go with whichever stem puts you where you need to be, regardless of looks.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 01-21-21, 12:58 PM
telebianchi

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Apparently I failed to select the irony typeface for my comment.

Good luck getting your fit dialed in.
Yes, you did.

In which case I apologize for my lengthy post. I just do find it funny when a simple question is asked (does stem angle matter if bar is in the same place?), that people will start telling the poster what they need/don't need far beyond the original question without giving the original poster a bit of credit for knowing what they are doing, and giving solutions without having all the data necessary to find a solution. (BTW, I see the same thing on music forums all the time).

Again, my fault for not catching the tongue-in-cheek nature of your reply.
Old 01-21-21, 02:32 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Yes, you did.

In which case I apologize for my lengthy post. I just do find it funny when a simple question is asked (does stem angle matter if bar is in the same place?), that people will start telling the poster what they need/don't need far beyond the original question without giving the original poster a bit of credit for knowing what they are doing, and giving solutions without having all the data necessary to find a solution. (BTW, I see the same thing on music forums all the time).

Again, my fault for not catching the tongue-in-cheek nature of your reply.
This is Bike Forums. If you have to ask, clearly your basic assumptions/knowledge/experience is wrong. There are posters who step up regularly to point this out. Your diagram? Well that's in the category of your assumptions and knowledge so hence clearly wrong and to be ignored. (I'm a big fan of such sketches, being a ret. engineer.)

I sometimes post about things I've known work well for me and have for decades and observe the posts that will tell me how wrong I am. (A favorite - I never set my seats up level. Always nose down. Funny I never knew I had all the problems posters here tell me I have.)
Old 01-21-21, 04:03 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by 79pmooney

I never set my seats up level. Always nose down.
Hmm.. you should probably seek out a fitter or see a doctor. Or you just are likely on the wrong bike.

Old 01-21-21, 04:23 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
This is Bike Forums. If you have to ask, clearly your basic assumptions/knowledge/experience is wrong. There are posters who step up regularly to point this out. Your diagram? Well that's in the category of your assumptions and knowledge so hence clearly wrong and to be ignored. (I'm a big fan of such sketches, being a ret. engineer.)

I sometimes post about things I've known work well for me and have for decades and observe the posts that will tell me how wrong I am. (A favorite - I never set my seats up level. Always nose down. Funny I never knew I had all the problems posters here tell me I have.)
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Hmm.. you should probably seek out a fitter or see a doctor. Or you just are likely on the wrong bike.

Thank you for the example. I rest my case.
Old 01-21-21, 07:26 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
I put 40 mm wider bars on my bike (400 to 440). Therefore, I am switching to a shorter stem to bring the bars back closer to me to account for the wider hand spacing. There are currently 25 mm of spacers beneath the existing stem. Using an online stem comparison calculator, if I use a 70mm 7 degree stem with the current 25mm spacers or a 70mm 17 degree stem with 10 mm of spacers, the bar will be in almost the same place. Since this is a bit of trial & error on my part, I'm not concerned about the couple of millimeter difference. For my current purposes, that's close enough.

My question is, if the bar ends up in essentially the same place is there any reason to use the 7 degree angle over the 17 degree, or vice versa? I'll be borrowing or buying a used/inexpensive stem to confirm fit first so if there's no preference between the angles, that will open up more inventory for me to look through.

Thanks!

Curious what site you were looking at? Looks like a handy tool.

Dave
Old 01-21-21, 11:51 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
If it was me, I'd simply try a new cheap stem with your current spacer situation and see how it works. You have a pretty good idea about what you want to accomplish. You realize that the stem calculator for angle and length that you've used probably won't hit your fit/comfort need exactly. So, why not just get a stem that you think will accomplish it? Like, same or similar angle but 5mm shorter or longer if you can find it? I'd do it while keeping the spacers below the stem, but that's my sense of aesthetics.

PS: I have used that stem calculator and found it a great way to visualize and approximate what I was trying to accomplish. But in the end, I just had to find a commonly available stem that got me close, but not exact.

I have also used the Specialized stem that can adjust angles with shims in the steer tube clamp hole. That opens up some subtle tweaking.