Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Advice on "Comfort Bike" Choice

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-21, 09:40 AM
Scubaquarius

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

I have seen the category of "comfort bike" listed in two local bike shops. I am shopping for a bike with a decent gear range, nice seat,
and handlebars that come back to me (so I'm not in that leaning forward position). I also want high pressure tires with low resistance
(no cruiser tires). My present bike is a Liv cruiser, 3 gears, big tires, and it is wearing me out . (probably keep it for my grandchildren)

Would appreciate any recommendations and advice !

Thank you,
Scubaquarius
Old 01-23-21, 09:57 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Used Greenspeed GTO 82 Gears ("comfort bike")

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 01-23-21 at 10:09 AM.
Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 01-23-21, 09:59 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I'd suggest trying some bikes at your local shop(s). You might be surprised at what feels comfortable to you. Ex: a friend of mine had been riding a hybrid which had him sitting fairly upright. He bought a Trek FX 4, which he said made him feel like he was too bent over (at first). After riding it for a bit, now says he can't imagine sitting more upright than the FX4. Try a fitness bike, hybrid, as well as a comfort bike. The shop (if a good one) should be able to help you with your choice, and offer more suggestions after they see you actually riding. LOTS of choices out there. Happy Hunting!!
Old 01-23-21, 10:05 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
I wanted basically the same set up as what you have described but could not find it "off the shelf". I am 72, live in a very hilly area but did not want to ride a mountain bike. My cure was a Cannondale Quick 3, 2019, that I had the rear cogs changed to 11-36 and the flat bars changed to what is referred to as mustache bars and added vertical grips for additional hand placement. The crank is a 50/34 so I still have the potential for top end speed but with the 36/34 combo I can make it up my hills without killing my old knees. I added a photo of the new bars with the stock grips. I may change them out later but I need more time in the saddle before I make that decision. I ride Cannondale but what I did can be done to any make hybrid or fitness bike. As a side note, when the stock tires, 28's, wore out I tried 37's. Will be going back to 28' or maybe 32's but not 37's again. Just my opinion.
Be safe, Frank.

Before and after and before I installed the vertical grips on the mustache bars.

Likes For Helderberg:
Old 01-23-21, 10:06 AM
Scubaquarius

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Used Greenspeed GTO 82 Gears
Looks cool... not looking for a recumbent.

Thanks,
Scubaquarius
Old 01-23-21, 10:07 AM
Scubaquarius

Originally Posted by freeranger
I'd suggest trying some bikes at your local shop(s). You might be surprised at what feels comfortable to you. Ex: a friend of mine had been riding a hybrid which had him sitting fairly upright. He bought a Trek FX 4, which he said made him feel like he was too bent over (at first). After riding it for a bit, now says he can't imagine sitting more upright than the FX4. Try a fitness bike, hybrid, as well as a comfort bike. The shop (if a good one) should be able to help you with your choice, and offer more suggestions after they see you actually riding. LOTS of choices out there. Happy Hunting!!
Sounds like good advice!

Thanks,
Scubaquarius
Old 01-23-21, 10:09 AM
Scubaquarius

Nicing looking bike... thanks for the advice,

Scubaquarius
Old 01-23-21, 11:56 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Big tires are wearing you out? I can only see that as either you run a really heavy tire and have to accelerate a lot or that you run a knobby tire on pavement. Knobby tread on pavement will be just like the chip seal roads that slow us down.

Perhaps you haven't experimented with tire pressure to find the tire pressure that works for your ride weight and road surface. But I can't see big tires in themselves being an issue.

Also, three gears might not have the ratios you need or range of high to low you need. Pedaling should in general be ridiculously easy for the majority of your riding time.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-23-21 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-23-21, 12:58 PM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
I was looking for something similar and bought a Trek FX 1 disc. I like the position but not the bars and immediately replaced them. The rest of it is fine, though. I was buying cheap (Chicago urban use) but if I wanted to spend, I'd have skipped the FX2 and bought the FX 3, or FX 4 if you like 1X, which I don't.

Last edited by mdarnton; 01-23-21 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-23-21, 02:50 PM
Scubaquarius

Originally Posted by mdarnton
I was looking for something similar and bought a Trek FX 1 disc. I like the position but not the bars and immediately replaced them. The rest of it is fine, though. I was buying cheap (Chicago urban use) but if I wanted to spend, I'd have skipped the FX2 and bought the FX 3, or FX 4 if you like 1X, which I don't.
I will check that out... definitely.
Thanks, Scubaquarius
Old 01-23-21, 02:57 PM
Scubaquarius

Originally Posted by Iride01
Big tires are wearing you out? I can only see that as either you run a really heavy tire and have to accelerate a lot or that you run a knobby tire on pavement. Knobby tread on pavement will be just like the chip seal roads that slow us down.

Perhaps you haven't experimented with tire pressure to find the tire pressure that works for your ride weight and road surface. But I can't see big tires in themselves being an issue.

Also, three gears might not have the ratios you need or range of high to low you need. Pedaling should in general be ridiculously easy for the majority of your riding time.
I think it makes sense that "cruiser" tires (which mine are fairly wide) - even at max PSI - are harder to peddle, especially uphill.
And yes, the 3 gears is obviously restrictive.

Thanks for your advice and opinion,
Scubaquarius
Old 01-23-21, 03:09 PM
Scubaquarius

Originally Posted by Scubaquarius
I will check that out... definitely.
Thanks, Scubaquarius
I like the look of these hybrid bikes the FX disc series. Did you mean that you replaced the handlebars and if so any chance I could see a picture?

Thanks,
Scubaquarius
Old 01-23-21, 03:15 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Good luck finding a bike in the current pandemic crisis. Almost all bike shops have very little, if any, new inventory for sale and lead times are astronomical. Like you'll be lucky to get it this year. You could luck out and find what you are looking for in your size but don't count on it.
Old 01-23-21, 03:15 PM
Scubaquarius

Originally Posted by mdarnton
Did you replace the handlebars mdarnton? If so, any chance I could see a picture. I love the disc brakes and just
would like handlebars that come closer to me.

Thanks,
Scubaquarius
Old 01-23-21, 05:42 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Well I know you said you rather not have another cruiser, but IMO, from the position you want for yourself while riding that is what I think will be best. Cruisers just a short while back didn't have many decent options other than maybe 3 speeds as your is. However Trek and others are making cruisers with more speeds.

Here is a Lux 7D from Trek's Electra line of bikes. https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...colorCode=grey

Inexpensive. Has a saddle with springs which will be comfy for upright riding. The BB is more forward than what you'll find on other bikes like road, hybrid, cross or gravel. And that is because it's made for upright riding where the other type bikes are not. Also it has a high stack and bars that don't stretch you out.

As for the wheels being cruiser wheels, as long as they're slicks and you ride pavement at appropriate PSI, they'll roll just fine. The gear range will probably get you up hills much easier than your three speed.

There are quite a few pages of Electra's offered by Trek in just about every configuration including electric.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...bikes/c/EB100/

Otherwise, consider a recumbent trike or recumbent bike.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-23-21 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-24-21, 07:06 AM
Scubaquarius

Well I know you said you rather not have another cruiser, but IMO, from the position you want for yourself while riding that is what I think will be best. Cruisers just a short while back didn't have many decent options other than maybe 3 speeds as your is. However Trek and others are making cruisers with more speeds.

Here is a Lux 7D from Trek's Electra line of bikes. https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...colorCode=grey

Inexpensive. Has a saddle with springs which will be comfy for upright riding. The BB is more forward than what you'll find on other bikes like road, hybrid, cross or gravel. And that is because it's made for upright riding where the other type bikes are not. Also it has a high stack and bars that don't stretch you out.

As for the wheels being cruiser wheels, as long as they're slicks and you ride pavement at appropriate PSI, they'll roll just fine. The gear range will probably get you up hills much easier than your three speed.

There are quite a few pages of Electra's offered by Trek in just about every configuration including electric.

Thanks for the advice and information,

Scubaquarius
Old 01-24-21, 08:50 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
How about a crank forward with a large supportive seat?
Old 01-24-21, 12:20 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
We need a pic to see what's going on. How hilly is it there? Liv seems to have abandoned IGH, people just don't understand how easy they go. If you aren't getting cycling strength, then a new bike won't change much. Is your seat too low?
My old CCM 3 speed is 42 lbs + load. I rode it 85 miles RT to the lake out west on the hilliest route here. I had zero problem except it's 10% slower. I then rode it 100.6 miles on a flatter road. Easy, mostly 14 mph all day.
My other bike has a SA XL-RD5w that is a lot better and faster. And it's on a far heavier bike, 70 lbs+. Went 133.6 miles one ride.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 02-02-21 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-24-21, 02:35 PM
Scubaquarius

Originally Posted by August West
Good luck finding a bike in the current pandemic crisis. Almost all bike shops have very little, if any, new inventory for sale and lead times are astronomical. Like you'll be lucky to get it this year. You could luck out and find what you are looking for in your size but don't count on it.
I ran into that problem looking for Catrike Villager for my wife earlier this year. But then magically, 2 local (different) bike shops
became Catrike dealers and we had our choice of black or red. So, I guess sometimes things work out.

I realize distribution, suppy chain and so on are problems in the pandemic. But I try to be optimistic, push a little where I can,
and be creative.

You never know what may blow up on your shore in the morning! (rough quote from "Castaway)

Scubaquarius
Old 01-28-21, 11:01 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Scubaquarius
Did you replace the handlebars mdarnton? If so, any chance I could see a picture. I love the disc brakes and just
would like handlebars that come closer to me.

Thanks,
Scubaquarius
I bought a 90 mm articulated stem to both raise the bars and bring them closer to me, then replaced the bars with butterfly bars. My specific problem is a shoulder issue that makes a long stretch difficult and painful, combined with unusual body proportions that puts me too flattened out on any bike set normally (which makes the arm problem worse, both by stretch and by weight on the arm.) This combo is working well for me. The reason for the butterfly bars was to allow changes to my hand position to accommodate my shoulder, which wants my hand to be more upright, and to prevent the shoulder from getting stiff by it being in the same position for long periods by allowing a lot of different possible positions.

Last edited by mdarnton; 01-28-21 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-28-21, 12:20 PM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts

+1 for Electra. My first bike after two back surgeries was an Electra Townie 7D. I ran Maxxis Overdrive Elite tires (26x1.75") on the Townie, which are really good for road use. The bike was/is super comfortable, and I even did century rides on it.

The "crank-forward" design worked really well for me, but it's not for everyone. Find a local Trek dealer and go ride one. Even during the COVID-19 bike shortage I would think these bikes are in stock and available. Best of luck!
Old 01-28-21, 03:11 PM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
I had purchased a hybrid years ago, and finally realized I hated it. I borrowed my sister-in-laws road bike and rediscovered why I loved biking in the first place. These days I ride vintage road bikes with the handlebars set at the level of the seat and with my hands on top of the bars. Very comfortable, especially with "lazy levers" for braking. And now I love my bikes!