Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Florida Keys tour

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Florida Keys tour

Old 03-01-21, 11:33 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Florida Keys tour

Managed to get in a tour this winter in the Keys last week. Rode from Key West to Miami and drove back in a rental car. Beautiful weather except for the one shower that hit right as I was packing up one day, which is the worst time, because everything was out. This is the third trip I’ve done in the Keys, and the only time I’ve ridden the section from Key Largo to Miami. Took the Card Sound Road route, which was OK, but not for those who like riding on the shoulder. Started at a ridiculously expensive hotel in Key West, then in the state parks at Bahia Honda, Curry Hammock, Long Key and Pennekamp, hotel in Florida City and the last night at Boyd’s Campground in Key West. It was fun and a nice break from the cold weather. Here are some photos from the trip.

Bridge to Bahia Honda. Very windy day with gusts to 30 knots.

Bahia Honda beach

Sunset at Curry Hammock

Lots of bugs at Long Key in the morning

Anne’s Beach in Islamorada. Nice place to take a break.

Front tire blowout in Islamorada. Local shop delivered a new tire to me, thankfully.

Super windy night at Boyd’s, so I used the rental car as a wind break

Boyd’s Campground

Beach at Zachary Taylor State Park

From Fort Taylor in Key West
Likes For alan s:
Old 03-02-21, 06:20 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
Well done, thanks for sharing. We looked into it one time as a credit card tour and yes, we would have needed a small business loan for our lodging and meals.
Old 03-02-21, 07:52 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I was there pre-Irma, looks like things are recovering nicely. We paid about $100 USD for a tiny little site at Boyds which we shared with a dumpster.

Bummer about the blowout. With 26 inch tires for pavement being harder to find, I am starting to think I should always carry a spare. In the past when I carried a spare, it was a very lightweight tire intended to be good enough to get me to a good bike ship, not a high mileage replacement tire.
Old 03-02-21, 09:26 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I was there right after Irma, and it is much better now. Some of the infrastructure at Bahia Honda has been replaced and repaired, but still half of the park is closed. Long Key is still mostly closed and under construction, but the primitive tent sites and bathhouse have been restored. Those were the two hardest hit state parks. Curry Hammock suffered little damage and is fully operational, and the other parts of the Keys were largely spared. And yes, $100 for a tent site where you can hear your neighbors breathing is ridiculous, but compared to $500 a night for a hotel, it’s a bargain. I had no problem finding a replacement tire in 26”, but for remote touring, carrying a folding spare would be a good idea.
Old 03-02-21, 12:15 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 407 Posts
Couple years ago two friends and I did KW > Islamorada > KW. Love the weather, love the scenery. I will say that on some of those bridges it can be a bit tight with the trucks. Not terrifying, but not comfort-zone, either.