Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1998 Trek Y77 Worth? Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-21, 08:11 PM
spudly

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 24 Posts
1998 Trek Y77 Worth? Ride?

This has been on ebay forever (I think at least 2 years?) as the seller's asking price is high. I always thought these were pretty cool (I have a Y22 mtb that I love), but have never ridden one. I am local to the seller and have been in touch with him, but he's only a little negotiable on the price (thus the long ebay posting). The seller sounds like a nice guy, but isn't really a bike enthusiast and just bought this a few years ago because he liked the looks. And while he says it has upgrades, I'm pretty sure it's stock except for the seat, pedals and tires (none of which I would use). The round stickers are something the seller put on for better night visibility and he says they can be removed without paint damage.

So what would a reasonable (or even a little bit high) price for this be? Ebay sold prices are generally very low for those in more used condition, but there haven't been many sales of pretty nice Y77's.

I've read what I could find about the ride quality, but would appreciate any comments from anyone who has ridden one.

Thanks all!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TREK-Y-FOIL...MAAOSwxBlc~Q3L
Old 04-19-21, 09:01 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,990 Times in 1,777 Posts
I honestly am not sure of value. I found a 1999 NOS Y77 frameset a couple of years ago and bought it for $750 if my memory is correct. Around the same time another forum member grabbed one for several hundred more. I was the only bidder on mine as it was mislabeled and feel I sort of stole it at that price.

The ride is great, really it is. And I say this as a self-proclaimed "steel is real" guy. In fact I liked the ride of mine so much I went and bought a pretty beat up 1998 Y66 that showed up locally and enjoyed it for several years. I'm in the process of a major downsizing in my collection having gotten ride of probably a dozen and a half bikes over the past year. But I'm not giving up the Y-77.

The Y-77 was my choice two years ago for a century "race" which was two laps around Bear Lake which borders Utah and Idaho. Winds are always a factor there but this bike carried me to my fastest century ever and in total comfort. I will say that the first 1/4 mile or so in the Y-77 sometimes feel bouncy after riding my steel bikes. But that sensation goes away really quickly and the rest of the ride is smooth, comfortable and fast.

I've got the '99 specs but not the '98. Forgot where I found that at.

Old 04-19-21, 11:10 PM
spudly

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
I honestly am not sure of value. I found a 1999 NOS Y77 frameset a couple of years ago and bought it for $750 if my memory is correct. Around the same time another forum member grabbed one for several hundred more. I was the only bidder on mine as it was mislabeled and feel I sort of stole it at that price.

The ride is great, really it is. And I say this as a self-proclaimed "steel is real" guy. In fact I liked the ride of mine so much I went and bought a pretty beat up 1998 Y66 that showed up locally and enjoyed it for several years. I'm in the process of a major downsizing in my collection having gotten ride of probably a dozen and a half bikes over the past year. But I'm not giving up the Y-77.

The Y-77 was my choice two years ago for a century "race" which was two laps around Bear Lake which borders Utah and Idaho. Winds are always a factor there but this bike carried me to my fastest century ever and in total comfort. I will say that the first 1/4 mile or so in the Y-77 sometimes feel bouncy after riding my steel bikes. But that sensation goes away really quickly and the rest of the ride is smooth, comfortable and fast.

I've got the '99 specs but not the '98. Forgot where I found that at.

Wow, James - love the look of your bike! I think I like blue better than gold or red, especially with black components. What kind of wheels are those?
Old 04-20-21, 06:23 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,990 Times in 1,777 Posts
Originally Posted by spudly
Wow, James - love the look of your bike! I think I like blue better than gold or red, especially with black components. What kind of wheels are those?
They are either Reynolds 40 or 46 C.F. clinchers. They roll really nice. I also had some crazy red spoked Fulcrum Racing Zero's on it too.

Some things to consider though that I encountered. Not a lot of room for a water bottle. I found an adapter that let me shift the mount down a bit so one of my normal Camelbak bottles would fit. Another thing I encountered with this 11 speed setup is not much room at all for the fat modern crankarms. The guys at The Bike Shoppe had to really play with the adjustment of thing to get the FD to work right without having the crankarm rub on it.
Old 04-20-21, 09:58 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts

I sold this one three years ago for $750, which at the time seemed reasonable, as values were tanking pre-pandemic.

These frames have a bit of a cult following. As such, when nice examples appear on the market, they fetch a premium, but not a $2250 premium, hence the ebay one not selling.

In today's market? Maybe $1500 to the right buyer. Otherwise, the ebay one will continue to languish.