Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Never owned pannier/rack, need some advice.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-05, 08:11 AM
Krazy Koz
enjoy the ride

Bikes: The Ship of Theseus - the only bicycle that I own or have ever owned. It is a bike that I built, with a constantly shifting constellation of parts & frames.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been doing a thirty mile commute (fifteen each way) for a while now. I crashed at a friend's house near my job on Thursday, so I had to pack to day’s worth of food/clothes into my bike messenger bag for the trip. NEVER AGAIN!!! My bag must have weighed twenty pounds (at least). My low back hurt really badly that night and hurts even worse now. So, now I need to serious and get a rack and pannier system.

I have never owned or thought of owning a set. I definitely need a trunk system, but don't really know anything about them. Is there anything that I should know before buying one? Can anybody make recommendations about particular trunk/racks/panniers? I ride a flat-bar road bike, but would prefer to avoid a handlebar bag. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-05, 08:25 AM
ViciousCycle
Chicago Cyclist

Bikes: My frame is covered in reflective tape. After adding ridiculously large handlebars, a comfy seat, and enough carrying capacity to haul a Thanksgiving grocery run home, the manufacturer wouldn't recognize it.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I regularly carry 20 pounds or more in one of my Ortlieb panniers, and they fit easily onto the standard rack. If you go into a good bike shop, you'll find that a lot of the racks are on par with one another. Just don't get one of those racks that only attach to the bike via the seat post -- they are no good for handling the loads that you are talking about.
Old 09-17-05, 08:26 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Arkel makes top notch panniers. They're pricy, but well worth it if you plan on giving them some serious use. I use the Bug from their commuter line. All Arkel products have a lifetime guarentee and their customer service is the best I've ever encountered in any business, period.
https://www.panniers.com

As for a rack I use a Jannd Expedition and my wife uses a Blackburn. Neither of us have any complaints with these racks. Aviod cheap no name racks if you plan on loading it up with some serious weight, such as 10kg or so.
Old 09-17-05, 08:33 AM
Walkafire

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Yep, You gota get that stuff OFF your Back!

I weighed my bike last night... I had to bring extra stuff, shoes... etc... weighed in at 43 lbs... YEEEEEOUCH... but I have a rear rack and 2 panniers.

I love my old Kirtland Panniers... but alas, they are out of business. But there are plenty of companies out there that are just like them. Or.. you can do a search for some used Kirtlands. I have a old Blackburn Expedition Rear Rack. Here is a couple pics before I put Slicks on my bike:

Old 09-17-05, 08:39 AM
Longhorn
Burnt Orange Blood

Bikes: Trek 7200, Lashout Electric Bike, Raleigh Talon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's what this newbie knows about them:

There are racks that attach to your seat post and racks that attach to your bike but your bike has to be designed to accept them. For example, my Trek 7200 has a rack that attaches to the axle and the frame but the motor gets in the way on my electric bike so I have a seat post-mounted rack.

Trek, Topeak, and others sell systems in which the trunk bag slides onto the rack in a quick-release manner. I didn't get one of those systems so my trunk bag attaches to the rack with several Velcro straps, which means it takes a little longer to attach and remove. I actually don't remove mine but I park in a fairly secure location. My trunk bag has zip-out side panniers for even more storage if I need it. I can't remember its name -- starts with "Sun."

Panniers come in all sizes and prices. I have some Inertia Design panniers that have rubber-coated hooks that fit over the side rails of the rack and a hook on a bungee cord that hooks under the bottom support of the rack. They have waterproof liners and a waterproof top cover. You can use them separately or attach them to each other with a Velcro handle cover to make it easy to carry them. A helmet fits in the mesh side pocket. They were pricey though -- about $120 for the pair. But they are very sturdy and the hooks are attached to a sliding metal bar so that you can adjust where they attach to the rack.

Though I'm happy with my purchases, if I had it to do again, I'd get the racks at the LBS (because I'm not one to install things myself) but I'd shop online for the bags/panniers because there is much more selection online than either of the two LBSs I went to. I'd at least do my research online and then call around and see who has them in stock if I wanted to buy locally.
Old 09-17-05, 08:56 AM
jamesdenver
jim anchower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
90% of time i use rack trunk for everything, often tho i'll use a grocery pannier, which is great for bulky stuff like shoes, food, ever 2 liters of soda. i also have a handlebar bag but rarely use it, but it's nice to have if i need

i think a "mix and match" approach works great. have your bike equiped for a few different options, and just click on what you need before you leave. the grocery pannier has a nice carrying handles, and i use a shoulder strap for the rack trunk, so if i'm in a store of going places it's more like a big bulky messenger bag, or if just biking a few blocks i don't have to strap it back on (even tho that takes all of five seconds)

here's some pics with everything: https://tinyurl.com/davez

one complaint about the trek grocery pannier, if not full (or weight down with the rack trunk), it has flow off at bumps before. i think i need to hook the little ring at the bottom into something.
Old 09-17-05, 05:28 PM
bsyptak
Luggite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On 1 bike we have a Blackburn Mtn rack with REI Keystone panniers. On another we have a Delta rack with Performance Transit Pro panniers. Honestly, both systems work perfectly. The Performance ones seem to be made of a lot heavier fabric, so they will probably last longer. Both have flaps that clip over large sacks. I believe this is the way to go. Main compartments that zip are asking for trouble when the panniers get full. Both have clips that mount on the top of the rack and either a bungee/hook or strap/hook that clip to the bottom of the rack.

I got the Keystone panniers for about $60, and that's why I bought them (regularly $134, though on sale right now for $99). We got the Performance panniers for about $40 after a 20% coupon and a price drop to $49 one weekend. Great deals for both.

The Keystones are huge, but they cinch down for those times I don't carry much in them. The Pro's are almost as large. The Epics (one step up in size) are probably similar.

Last edited by bsyptak; 09-17-05 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-18-05, 11:19 AM
jnbacon
Proshpero

Bikes: Fixed Surly CrossCheck, Redline Conquest Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The rack doesn't need to be super expensive, but one suggestion is to get one that has wide sides rather than narrow ones. For example, this Blackburn rack has a triangle for sides. Whereas, this Tubus rack is rectangular. The price difference between these two is pretty big, but there are some US manufacturers that make the rectangular shape. I've used both, the rectangular shape steadies my panniers much more effectively.

I use front panniers from Lone Peak on the rear. They are small, but big enough for clothes, food and water, books, personal stuff, repair gear, and a chain and lock. Try to gauge whether your heel will hit the panniers, and if it seems like it will, get some panniers that are cut to make room for your heel.
Old 09-18-05, 06:02 PM
tacomee

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sometimes a person's heel hits the panniers when you petal-- really bad. Go to a couple of LBS and look at what they have. Install and test ride before you spend that 200 bucks (or more).
Old 09-18-05, 06:06 PM
michaelnel
Macaws Rock!

Bikes: 2005 Soma Doublecross

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
... Pedal ...

San Francisco, California
Old 09-18-05, 06:14 PM
jimmuter
Urban Biker

Bikes: Trek 720 hybrid; 2007 Specialized Tricross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I second the recommendation for Arkel -- www.panniers.com. They have T-22's listed on their web site that they have actually upgraded to T-28 (28 liters) at the same cost. You can attach them to your rack and still attach a trunk bag. Arkel's trunk bag (the Tail Rider) may be too small for your needs, but it works really well for me. They also have great customer service and guarantees. They cost more, but you get what you pay for.
Old 09-18-05, 06:20 PM
filtersweep

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bsyptak
On 1 bike we have a Blackburn Mtn rack with REI Keystone panniers. On another we have a Delta rack with Performance Transit Pro panniers. Honestly, both systems work perfectly. The Performance ones seem to be made of a lot heavier fabric, so they will probably last longer. Both have flaps that clip over large sacks. I believe this is the way to go. Main compartments that zip are asking for trouble when the panniers get full. Both have clips that mount on the top of the rack and either a bungee/hook or strap/hook that clip to the bottom of the rack.

I got the Keystone panniers for about $60, and that's why I bought them (regularly $134, though on sale right now for $99). We got the Performance panniers for about $40 after a 20% coupon and a price drop to $49 one weekend. Great deals for both.

The Keystones are huge, but they cinch down for those times I don't carry much in them. The Pro's are almost as large. The Epics (one step up in size) are probably similar.
We picked up the Performance Delta rack- like a cheap one that is pretty good, and it installed well without any seat tube bosses and the TransIt panniers- the 2480 cubic inch set- a great deal at less than $60/ tax- as mentioned. Well made and easy to use.
Old 09-19-05, 09:51 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6201 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by jnbacon
The rack doesn't need to be super expensive, but one suggestion is to get one that has wide sides rather than narrow ones. For example, this Blackburn rack has a triangle for sides. Whereas, this Tubus rack is rectangular. The price difference between these two is pretty big, but there are some US manufacturers that make the rectangular shape. I've used both, the rectangular shape steadies my panniers much more effectively.

I use front panniers from Lone Peak on the rear. They are small, but big enough for clothes, food and water, books, personal stuff, repair gear, and a chain and lock. Try to gauge whether your heel will hit the panniers, and if it seems like it will, get some panniers that are cut to make room for your heel.
One way to avoid the heel strike problem all together is to use front low-riders. If I have to carry bulky stuff, I always use front bags. The bike handles better too.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-19-05, 10:17 AM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
For what you're looking for you can start out with an inexpensive rack similar to my Delta rack for $20 and a rack trunk. At least for commuting with panniers, this Delta rack has held up just as well as my other pricier racks.