Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

TCR Replacement situation

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-08, 09:45 PM
JaRow
trois, mon frère

Bikes: '01 Gary Fisher Wahoo, '08 Giant TCR C2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alright, there were a few people that wanted to hear about how Giant handles this so I'll try to keep you all updated.

I took my bike to the shop a couple days ago and I was told they would have an answer for me on Monday. They said it was more than likely that Giant would warranty the frame.
They called me today and told me that a Giant rep. was in the shop and that he felt that the damage did not appear to be a warranty issue, but instead a "catastrophic failure" (thought that would be covered under warranty). He said that because of this Giant would provide me with crash replacement. They are willing to sell me the frame at cost (which isn't cheap). I am trying to contact the Giant rep. to get more detail about his decision.

That is all for now.
Old 08-25-08, 10:26 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Basically it means he believes you subjected it to forces and loading outside of it's design parameters (you wrecked it). That's why they have crash replacement programs.

Warranty would be one of those, "I was just riding along when the fram just decided to give out" kind of things.

Just from looking at the picture I would have come to the same conclusion as him on that one.

Old 08-25-08, 10:36 PM
Copperhed51

Bikes: 2008 Felt F5 w/ SRAM Force, 2002 Giant OCR2, Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd offer to show him pics of the pothole, let him know there are lots of people waiting to see the outcome of your situation, and if he doesn't budge, you can always mention something about some kind of legal action for the bike as well as medical expenses. Lots of places don't like dealing with lawsuits and will give in at that point. That's a last resort though. Hopefully the guy is reasonable. At the same time, I can see where he's coming from so I dunno. Good luck either way.
Old 08-26-08, 12:25 AM
travis200
OTB is imminent

Bikes: '06 Trek 5.2, '06 Lemond Poprad, '06 Bianchi San Jose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your TCR. I went through 2 and finally Giant said no more warranty. My 2 frames all cracked in the same spot on the bottom of the top tube where it meets the fork.

The 1st frame was warrantied no questions asked. The second was a nightmare. I had to meet with the shop owner and the Giant rep they left it in the air as to what may happen. Then a few weeks later I had to have a call from head of giant warranty dept. After explaining to him I am not a top pro tour racer just a wanna be. He used lots of comparing me to a pro and the first frame was written off as just being a nice company but there was no way a frame of their caliber would crack or break. They told me all the pro teams ride their bikes and no one has ever cracked a frame

This was a few years ago. Once I was informed I would get another frame I was pretty much done with Giant. I was not a happy customer. I was thankful I was getting a replacement but I knew it would crack again. I went out and bought a new bike because my frame was back ordered with no expected date of arrival. It took 4 months to receive my warranty frame.
Old 08-26-08, 05:44 AM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
unless the OP has an expert of some kind (engineer or another Giant Shop ??) it is basically Giant's opinion against his. since they have the power and control how the warranty is applied what else can the OP do. tough situation, i mean no one on this board can just look at the pictures and determine why the frame exploded.

i would call the rep. and tell him you want the frame back. you are going to have it examined by an independent engineer to determine the cause. you have expenses, medical and property damage that need to be covered and just cant take their word on this.

or just get the crash replacement frame and move on. what to do, what to do.

later.

Last edited by aham23; 08-26-08 at 06:28 AM.
Old 09-02-08, 06:38 PM
JaRow
trois, mon frère

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright, I have the new frame. The fork is the same; guy at the shop said it was more than safe. I have a new crap front wheel. The old one was deemed worthless. The hub was not repairable and the lbs said there was a flat spot on the rim so it's a total loss.

I ended up paying about a grand for the new frame and they took care of swapping the components.

I'm on the market for a new wheel set now so I'm taking suggestions. Looking to spend less than $800. I'm not sure If I really want carbon wheels (probably can't get any for that price). I would prefer an aero wheel over a light one. Nothing with a huge profile though, I don't want to get pushed around by crosswinds. Most importantly I want something reliable.

Thanks folks.
Old 09-02-08, 11:06 PM
Copperhed51

Bikes: 2008 Felt F5 w/ SRAM Force, 2002 Giant OCR2, Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sucks that you had to shell out so much for the frame. I will definitely rethink my future purchase of a Giant frame now. As for wheels, I just bought the Neuvation R28 Aero4 wheelset but they haven't come in yet. Those wheels are way under your price point but I'd recommend looking around on the Neuvation website since their wheel prices seem unbeatable and the reviews of quality and customer service from people on this board make it a place you can be comfortable purchasing from.
Old 09-03-08, 11:37 PM
JaRow
trois, mon frère

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Copperhed51
Sucks that you had to shell out so much for the frame. I will definitely rethink my future purchase of a Giant frame now. As for wheels, I just bought the Neuvation R28 Aero4 wheelset but they haven't come in yet. Those wheels are way under your price point but I'd recommend looking around on the Neuvation website since their wheel prices seem unbeatable and the reviews of quality and customer service from people on this board make it a place you can be comfortable purchasing from.
Tell me what you think when you get them. I'd love more details.
Old 09-04-08, 12:36 AM
z415

Bikes: Trek 1000, two mtbs and working on a fixie for commuting.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, are you dealing with Chain Reaction in Gainesville or a shop in Miami?
Old 09-04-08, 01:07 AM
Booger

Bikes: KHS Flite 750

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it happened as you said, I would be furious. Catastrophic frame failure over what could barely be called a pothole?
Old 09-04-08, 08:49 AM
JaRow
trois, mon frère

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by z415
Hey, are you dealing with Chain Reaction in Gainesville or a shop in Miami?
Yes, they're nice guys. I heart them.
They sponsor the UF team so I frequent them the most.

Originally Posted by Booger
If it happened as you said, I would be furious. Catastrophic frame failure over what could barely be called a pothole?
I'm talking to the Giant folks still to see if there is anything that can be done. No real reason to be furious, 'twas no ones fault.
Old 09-04-08, 08:59 AM
tekhna

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about the new Soul S 4.0? Aero, fairly light, and inexpensive.
https://www.bikesoul.com/s4.html
Old 09-06-08, 04:29 PM
z415

Bikes: Trek 1000, two mtbs and working on a fixie for commuting.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JaRow
Yes, they're nice guys. I heart them.
They sponsor the UF team so I frequent them the most.
Yea, they are good. I like 'em all around here though I've never been to Swamp Cycles. And now we shall destroy the 'Canes.
Old 09-06-08, 05:12 PM
Copperhed51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got the wheels last night and put em on my bike. Went out this morning and rode 43 miles and they felt amazing. They're light and fast and felt really strong. I didn't spring for the ceramic bearings but the bearings they came with seemed just fine. I spun the front wheel after I put it on and it didn't stop in the minute I let it go. Shipping was pretty quick on them too. Plenty of guys on here have Neuvation wheels and everything I've heard about them has been good. For the price, I'd recommend them.
Old 09-06-08, 05:15 PM
Pharmr
Home, home again

Bikes: Scott S10, Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Copperhed51
I have bounced around so many times now on what wheels I will buy for an upgrade....Xero-Soul-Open Pro-and now Neuvation.....and I think I will go with the Aero4's.

I'll be interested in what you think when they arrive and you've had a chance to try them out.
Old 09-06-08, 05:17 PM
dperreno

Bikes: '72 Fuji Finest, '80 Austro-Daimler Inter 10, '06 Fuji Team Issue, '06 Salsa Las Cruces, Nashbar Frame single speed

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got a set of Easton Ascent II wheels from JensonUSA this spring for $400. They are relatively light (1420g) and have a reputation of being very sturdy -- so far I like them a lot. They have been replaced by the EA90 SLX, which is a bit heavier (1470g). I saw a good deal at Bikebling.com https://www.bikebling.com/ProductDeta...x-700c-shimano Haven't bought from them before, though.
Old 09-06-08, 05:25 PM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Booger
The damage to the wheel indicates to me that he hit something substantial.