Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike suggestion, beginner?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-14, 10:12 PM
MeghnaN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I m planning to buy Trek 820 WSD in a good bike store nearby. Reviews pls?
Old 03-04-14, 11:58 PM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Depends on what you plan to use it for. Where do you intend to ride? What type of terrain - flat/hilly? The components are entry level (Tourney), you'd be better served by going one level up (Altus) at least. If you don't need shock absorbers, take a look at the Trek 7.1 FX Stagger (suggesting that since you seem to have a Trek dealer nearby).

The best advice you will receive frequently on this forum is: At this price point, the difference between brands is minimal. Test ride lots of bikes and buy the one that you like the best.
Old 03-05-14, 02:29 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
It is an entry level model, but it is also a step up from the Big Box Schwinns you were looking at. Plus, you'll likely find one that actually fits and you'll have the benefit of the LBS to assist you with fine tuning that fit and help you with minor adjustments.
Old 03-05-14, 10:28 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought a 7.1fx as my first bike and I love it. I wish I had ridden a few more styles because now I also have a cannondale road bike and love it too. Ride a few a pick the one that fits you best then match it with the type of riding you will do. My biggest issue is deciding which one to ride
Old 03-05-14, 11:12 AM
BruceHankins

Bikes: Shogun 400 ('83), Kuwahara Newport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on Altus upgrade. I don't know how new Tourney is, but old Tourney is a major P.I.T.A. I am replacing the Tourney components on my wife's bike with Altus because after every ride I have to readjust the derailleurs, and we ride mostly paved trails and the C&O canal which is pretty smooth.
Old 03-05-14, 12:44 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Agree with the others. The shock is an unnecessary cost and weight penalty. A better choice would be a rigid fork that permits a wheel/tire combination that is right for the type of riding that you plan to do. If smooth/paved surfaces are your thing, then you can go with something closer to a Giant Escape or Trek 7.x series, or somesuch...
Old 03-05-14, 03:22 PM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wish I knew about this forum before I bought my first bike from Target. That thing is so not fun .. it gets me from one place to another but there is no joy riding that bike! I could have saved that money and put it in buying a better Sirrus instead

OP - one more piece of advice (advice is free on the internet ) - buy the best bike you can afford. Upgrading is expensive.
Old 03-05-14, 03:39 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by treadtread
I wish I knew about this forum before I bought my first bike from Target. That thing is so not fun .. it gets me from one place to another but there is no joy riding that bike! I could have saved that money and put it in buying a better Sirrus instead

OP - one more piece of advice (advice is free on the internet ) - buy the best bike you can afford. Upgrading is expensive.
Good advice indeed. Like others, I wonder whether you need the suspension fork. Planning on riding a lot of dirt or gravel trails? If not, go with a road hybrid like the Trek FX series, Specialized Sirrus, Jamis Coda, Cannondale Quick, or Giant Escape.
Old 03-05-14, 04:22 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
unlike a big box store your bike shop will be there to keep the bike working well after the sale ..

see if the shop would add a bunch of accessories at point of sale to make it more useful

a rear rack and baskets or bags to carry stuff , Mudguards to keep you cleaner .

maybe add some more money and upgrade the tires to ones with a puncture protection band.
inside the casing..

point of sale add ons usually are discounted with buying a new bike..

another way to go is a hybrid less MTB like wheels, so a nice street ride.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...7_0_fx_stagger

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-05-14 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-06-14, 12:32 PM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MRT2
Good advice indeed. Like others, I wonder whether you need the suspension fork. Planning on riding a lot of dirt or gravel trails? If not, go with a road hybrid like the Trek FX series, Specialized Sirrus, Jamis Coda, Cannondale Quick, or Giant Escape.
+1

This is great advice. If budget is a problem, then go with either the the Trek Stagger FX, or the Giant Sedona W (the one without the suspended fork).

Last edited by WestPablo; 03-06-14 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-07-14, 12:54 PM
MeghnaN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all, thanks much. I actually got the bike, I specified in the thread. I wanted to use it to go on the bike trails, and dirt roads. That is why I thought a MTB would be better. I got it from a bike store nearby. It costed me 400$. I think it is a reasonable price. I did a few test rides before buying it. It worked good. And I took it out for 6-8 miles yesterday. No issues thus far. Thanks again to all! Kindly reply for suggestions

Last edited by MeghnaN; 03-07-14 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-14-14, 10:11 PM
Ramona_W
Casually Deliberate

Bikes: 1995 Trek 820, 1994 Trek 930 (project), 1/2 of a 1980s Colin Laing tandem

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MeghnaN
I m planning to buy Trek 820 WSD in a good bike store nearby. Reviews pls?
I have a 1995 820 that's not a WSD and doesn't have shock absorbers. Can't find out how much the bike you're considering weighs but mine was originally 29 pounds. I consider mine neither fish nor foul since it's not a city bike, true mountain bike, or commuter but it is a bike that gives you options to make it any of those. Right now I'm rolling 2.25" knobbies instead of 1.5" semi-slicks just for the hell of it. I'd say if you can find a gently used 820, go for it- an 830 would be even better- but I'm not sure I'd buy a new one unless you can get the components upgraded fairly inexpensively.