Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Suggestions on low elevation metic and full centuries to do

Notices
Northern California Northern California

Suggestions on low elevation metic and full centuries to do

Old 04-27-10, 03:08 PM
deep_sky

Bikes: 2012 Scott CR1 Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Suggestions on low elevation metric and full centuries to do

I just completed my first metric a week ago, and it had 2800 feet of climbing. I could have handled some more, but all I seem to find around here when I look for supported rides is 6k min climbing, and I just do not think I can do that and make the time cutoffs (I am a very slow climber because I spin a small gear at a high cadence to keep my knees happy), so I was wondering if you guys had some suggestions on what organized rides in cali there are for me
Old 04-27-10, 03:22 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Well, in the FAR FAR East Bay, there's IOWA.

OK, Delta Century is this weekend -

The Stockton Bicycle Club invites you to its thirty‑second Delta Century. Bucolic Jessie’s Grove Winery again will host the event that traverses the rural Delta roads of the San Joaquin Valley. Flat quarter (26 miles, zero elevation gain), metric (62 miles, 260 feet of elevation gain), and full (100 miles, 425 feet of elevation gain) century loops cover scenic vineyard, farm, and Delta roads–and a ferry ride across Steamboat Slough (metric and full century routes only)–with rewarding rest stops along the way. You’ll commemorate completion of your Delta Century ride on the beautiful grounds of Jessie’s Grove Winery with a delicious post ride meal catered by DeVinci’s Delicatessen and Catering Lodi and entertainment by Creative Sounds DJ and Sound Services.

Flat centuries are normally windy centuries, so be prepared.
Old 04-27-10, 03:27 PM
deep_sky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Windy (up to a point) is fine, its excessive long climbs that while doable, are not doable in any decent amount of time for me
Old 04-27-10, 03:29 PM
tprevost
okay, maybe...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.bbcnet.com/RideCalendar/default.aspx - there's also one in Lodi on May 15th? (not sure if I've got the dates right but its that weekend)

The strawberry fields ride in Santa Cruz that same weekend has 4k of climbing....
Old 04-27-10, 03:44 PM
mjwood25

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Foxy's Fall Century in Davis has ~55 of flats and 50 miles of hills. The hills are in the middle of the ride and it is really only two moderate climbs.
Old 04-28-10, 01:20 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Tierra Bella, Gilroy, CA was on April 17 this year. 100K climbing is reasonable. 100 mi a killer for us tandem folk
SLO Wildflower, SLO, CA, April 24 - climbing supposed to be reasonable (at least the 100K). Will find out next year.
Chico Velo Wildflower, Chico, CA, April 25 this year. one real climb on the 100K - definitely in your wheelhouse
Wine Country Century, Santa Rosa, CA, May, sold out - tandem friendly so you would be GTG. Did 70 miles of it last year and only 1 climb
Lighthouse Century, SLO, CA, June, sold out - almost no climbing in the coastal 100K and 100mi. beautiful ride
Marin, San Rafael, CA, August - 100K was doable on the tandem so np on a single. We'll do the 100 mi this year
Foxy's, Davis, CA, October - not much climbing on a single
Condor Classic, Hollister, CA, October - nothing we can't do on our tandem. np for singles. Can be windy on the way back from the Pinnacles
Cheese and Wine Century, Riverbank, CA (Modesto), October - not much climbing
Giro d' Vino, Lodi, CA, November - 100K almost no climbing, 100 mi a bit. Probably similar to the Delta Century

I'm sure there are others of course
Old 04-28-10, 05:17 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by deep_sky
(I am a very slow climber because I spin a small gear at a high cadence to keep my knees happy),
Work on your fitness. You can easily make the cutoff times. There are plenty of riders that spin a small gear at high cadence that are FAST riders.
Old 04-28-10, 10:21 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tprevost
https://www.bbcnet.com/RideCalendar/default.aspx - there's also one in Lodi on May 15th? (not sure if I've got the dates right but its that weekend)

The strawberry fields ride in Santa Cruz that same weekend has 4k of climbing....
I'm still waiting for you to do the Bear. Get ready for 2011, I'll ride it with you if you plan ahead!
Old 04-30-10, 10:06 AM
deep_sky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Work on your fitness. You can easily make the cutoff times. There are plenty of riders that spin a small gear at high cadence that are FAST riders.
When I mean slow, I mean hovering around 5mph on a 7-8% grade
Old 04-30-10, 04:13 PM
Wall-e
Hills!?

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ADA Tour de Cure century in Yountville is around 2000 ft of climbing according to map my ride. I am doing it this weekend so we will find out.

https://www.mapmyride.com/route/us/ca...e/966932581547
Old 04-30-10, 05:12 PM
jonathanb715

Bikes: Kestrel Talon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deep_sky
When I mean slow, I mean hovering around 5mph on a 7-8% grade
That's not as slow as you think if you can maintain it. That would be 2 hours up Mt. Diablo - about as fast as I could climb it the first year I did the Death Ride. But I worked first to build endurance, so I could do that for all 5 passes on the DR - then I worried about improving my climbing speed. As Mr. Beanz already said, a fast cadence isn't a bad thing and lots of very fast climbers spin up hills.

JB
Old 05-02-10, 09:45 AM
anomaly

Bikes: 1972 Paramount Track, 1972 Paramount P13 Road, 1972 Paramount Tandem, 1986 Paramount Road, Merckx MXL, Gunnar Cross Hairs, Samson Illusion NJS, KHS Aero Track, Titus Racer X 29er, Tom Palermo Custom Touring

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
If you can't handle the climbing get out there and ride some hills. If you rode Old La Honda, Kings Mountain and/or Tunitas Creek 3 times a week you would be able to handle a 10k foot of climbing century in 2 months.
Old 05-02-10, 09:47 AM
anomaly

Bikes: 1972 Paramount Track, 1972 Paramount P13 Road, 1972 Paramount Tandem, 1986 Paramount Road, Merckx MXL, Gunnar Cross Hairs, Samson Illusion NJS, KHS Aero Track, Titus Racer X 29er, Tom Palermo Custom Touring

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Also, SF -> Nicasio -> Lucas Valley -> San Rafel -> Paradise Loop -> SF -> the beach through GGP -> Fort Funston -> SF is 6k feet with very gentle grades the entire way. There are only 2 climbs that are of note and they are both about a quarter of Old La Honda.
Old 05-02-10, 07:11 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by anomaly
If you can't handle the climbing get out there and ride some hills. If you rode Old La Honda, Kings Mountain and/or Tunitas Creek 3 times a week you would be able to handle a 10k foot of climbing century in 2 months.
Or burn out trying.