Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

For Road Bikes, HEAVIER is BETTER!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-10, 02:07 PM
jim007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to bring up a really old thread, but I found through Google

I'm using a 34lbs bike from the 1980's, ( AllPro ) I think. Only 10 speed I think. I haven't owned any other road bikes, but it sure is tiring moving the bike around. I'm only 5'0 or 5'1 and the bike is is for 5'2+, wheels at 27". I'm planning on saving up for a beginner entry bike for $600-$720 from Kunstadt if anyone here is from Canada. I'm 15 turning 16 in a Sept, and I would like to race, but I don't know what kind of training to do in the meantime. I'm 126lbs~130lbs ( varies ) and I have 15%-20% body fat. Anyone in Ottawa, ON, Canada? I just brought out the bike a few days ago. Can't wait till exams are over!
Old 06-07-10, 02:10 PM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Bikes: '09 BMC Road Racer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Adgooroo
OK, if I'm really honest with myself, I ride for three key reasons:
1. I love to ride. I love the whirr of the wheels, the wind in my face, being able to see, feel, smell and hear everything around me; I love to just crank away; just like I did when I was 8 years old.
2. I want to improve my physical condition - strengthen legs and heart, raise my heart rate, build endurance, lose unneeded fat, etc.
3. I enjoy setting goals that challenge me. - Better times, better speeds, better hill-climbing ability, etc. - the whole self-fulfillment thing.

Notice I didn't say that I love to race (except perhaps a couple hundred feet when I want to show off).

I'll just bet that my reasons for riding are like many, many others on this forum. NONE of them depend upon a super-light, super-expensive bike. In fact, all of them are perfectly well-fulfilled by a heavy bike. Pushing the logic, the heavier the bike, the better it works my cardiovascular system. My self-imposed goals are all relative, and I can show progress on a heavy bike just as well as on a light, finicky one. A heavy bike doesn't even compromise the sheer joy of riding. So, clearly, when it comes to road bikes, heavier is better.

Right?
I don't disagree with you except for the part in bold. You won't get a harder work out on the heavier bike, you'll just go slower for the given output. you can still spend the same amount of time at the same amount of power on both bikes.
Old 06-07-10, 02:22 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
This is a thread started by someone who has clearly given up on achieving any sort of performance goals.
Old 06-07-10, 02:23 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh god, not this conversation again...
Old 06-07-10, 02:25 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jim007

I'm using a 34lbs bike from the 1980's, ( AllPro ) I think. Only 10 speed I think. I haven't owned any other road bikes, but it sure is tiring moving the bike around. I'm only 5'0 or 5'1 and the bike is is for 5'2+, wheels at 27". I'm planning on saving up for a beginner entry bike for $600-$720 from Kunstadt if anyone here is from Canada. I'm 15 turning 16 in a Sept, and I would like to race, but I don't know what kind of training to do in the meantime. I'm 126lbs~130lbs ( varies ) and I have 15%-20% body fat. Anyone in Ottawa, ON, Canada? I just brought out the bike a few days ago. Can't wait till exams are over!

just ride and have a great time.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 06-07-10, 02:27 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
Oh god, not this conversation again...
Originally Posted by colombo357
This is a thread started by someone who has clearly given up on achieving any sort of performance goals.
Originally Posted by Yaniel
I don't disagree with you except for the part in bold. You won't get a harder work out on the heavier bike, you'll just go slower for the given output. you can still spend the same amount of time at the same amount of power on both bikes.
This is a zombie thread, don't bother responding to any of the original participants.

There really was no good reason to respond to this old thread instead of starting a new one.

If you are interested in racing, start here.
Old 06-07-10, 03:00 PM
Ruffinit

Bikes: Bridgestone T700, Colnago International, Cannondale SR and ST 700, BH Vento, C. Itoh Super Light, Schwinn High Sierra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love all my bikes from my 25.5# Bridgestone T700 to my 19# Colnago and all those in between. Each and every one has it's place and I choose my steed dependent upon what I want out of my ride for the day. My "new" BH is like an aphrodisiac. My Cannodale Criterium Black Lightning is like an arabian stallion. Each brings to the table something different.

I find that though my lightweights are quick and responsive, my T700 I can ride century after century and by the end of the day I can reel in pretty much anyone I'm after on a road bike. You can't beat true 1/2 step gearing and a smooth reliable gait for hour after hour in the saddle. AND I've outrun many lightweight weenies in the mountains; both up and down the slopes.

So, it's not so much the weight that concerns me as what I'm after for that day's ride.
Old 06-07-10, 03:42 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by larue
I'll never own steel myself, if my bike breaks it will be because I crashed it hard enough to do so and not because it rusted from inside out.
All my bikes are steel. The oldest is 40 years old; the newest less than a year old. The 40 year old bike is my daily commuter, built on an old Italian race frame -- it gets used in all kinds of weather, left outside, etc. It hasn't rusted out yet. A good steel bike will last a lifetime, and more if you take care of it.
Old 06-07-10, 03:50 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What's old is new again.

"Og think pushing more rock make Og stronger."

"No! Og push tree more make Og stronger."

"Og know rock!"

"Tree better!"
Old 06-07-10, 04:06 PM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
I guess resurrecting a thread this old is OK but there's no sense in quoting or replying to posts 1-50. They are very old.

OP (jim007 is the new OP) if you're on a 34# bike called "All-Pro" it is a department store bike with really poor wheels, bearings and etc. That is the cause of you effort, not the weight itself.
Old 06-07-10, 04:06 PM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
I guess resurrecting a thread this old is OK but there's no sense in quoting or replying to posts 1-50. They are very old.

OP (jim007 is the new OP) if you're on a 34# bike called "All-Pro" it is a department store bike with really poor wheels, bearings and etc. That is the cause of you effort, not the weight itself.
Old 06-07-10, 07:57 PM
Nerull

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by capsicum
Actually aluminium corrodes much more rapidly than steel. In fact all aluminium electrical connections must be scrubed free of corrotion and immiediatly treated with an antioxidant electrical grease. Aluminium corrosion is dull gray so it blends in. Aluminium will actually rip the oxygen from rust and leave plain iron behind, because it is so much more reactive.
However aluminium oxide is not very like iron rust. It forms a protective layer over the aluminium that prevents further corrosion and is harder than the aluminium itself. Anodization is the intentional creation of a thick layer of aluminium "rust". This is bad for electrical connections, but great for protection from the elements. The exception is compounds that break down the oxide layer - like mercury. Please don't pour mercury on your Al road bike.

And yes, Al will react with iron oxide and produce iron. IF you grind it into a thin powder and set it on fire. Please don't do this to your bike either.
Old 06-07-10, 08:54 PM
cooleric1234

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get a MUCH better cardio workout on my light road bike than I do with my heavy commuter bike. With the road bike the acceleration is quicker, so I can push myself up to speed and keep my heart rate up. With the heavy bike it is harder to combat inertia and my legs can get a workout sometimes getting it up to speed after a break but really I just find it easier to not push myself as hard and I ride slower. Just my experience.
Old 06-07-10, 09:10 PM
yaganon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the idea is to get a workout, then can't you just ride a mtb?
Old 06-07-10, 09:16 PM
OldPilot

Bikes: 2007 Giant OCR C3, 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple & 2002 Diamondback Response

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 55/Rad
I'm a gear loving poser - plain and simple.

55/Rad
I totally agree, I really enjoy getting new gear. CF bikes are fantastic! Now I want a Ti bike, I have the bike bug bad.
Old 06-07-10, 09:23 PM
kleinboogie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Adgooroo
"Things somebody with a heavy ass bike would say for $200 Alex"

jk, ride whatever you want and enjoy but don't hate us light bike folk. Cheers
Old 06-07-10, 09:43 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kleinboogie
"Things somebody with a heavy ass bike would say for $200 Alex"

jk, ride whatever you want and enjoy but don't hate us light bike folk. Cheers

"Questions asked more than 5 years ago for $1000, Alex."

I'm pretty sure the OP is dead by now, most likely from from having lugged that heavy-ass bike around for too long...
Old 06-07-10, 10:34 PM
kleinboogie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DScott
"Questions asked more than 5 years ago for $1000, Alex."

I'm pretty sure the OP is dead by now, most likely from from having lugged that heavy-ass bike around for too long...
Oops, too much post ride Cabernet. Forgot to check the date. Thx!
Old 06-07-10, 10:39 PM
anomaly

Bikes: 1972 Paramount Track, 1972 Paramount P13 Road, 1972 Paramount Tandem, 1986 Paramount Road, Merckx MXL, Gunnar Cross Hairs, Samson Illusion NJS, KHS Aero Track, Titus Racer X 29er, Tom Palermo Custom Touring

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
All that matters is the motor. I regularly motor my 36lb commuter/full fenders/handlebar bag past guys out on their Sunday best carbon and I regularly get dropped by guys on flat bar road bikes. I put 160 miles and 15k feet of climbing on said heavy bike this past week and the best part is that it will makes climbs FEEL that much easier when I'm out on my lighter bike.

Last edited by anomaly; 06-07-10 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-08-10, 08:18 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Nerull
However aluminium oxide is not very like iron rust. It forms a protective layer over the aluminium that prevents further corrosion and is harder than the aluminium itself. Anodization is the intentional creation of a thick layer of aluminium "rust". This is bad for electrical connections, but great for protection from the elements. The exception is compounds that break down the oxide layer - like mercury. Please don't pour mercury on your Al road bike.

And yes, Al will react with iron oxide and produce iron. IF you grind it into a thin powder and set it on fire. Please don't do this to your bike either.
Please, if you do set your bike on fire, video it for us and put it on YouTube.