Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Riding With Non-Electrics

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-12, 10:08 PM
robertg200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently got a 2012 IZIP Zuma and I love it. Can hardly stay off it. Ride it every day for exercise. But, I don't have anyone to ride with, so am wondering I'd the non-electric groups will look down their noses at me if I join them? I'm 70 years old and not in condition to ride for an hour or two without the pedal assist of an electric.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 10-06-12, 10:33 PM
Metal Man

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
They may, I wouldn't worry too much about that. I would have to think they would look at you with admiration that you're still getting out on the bike.
I have ridden my electric with my bike club a few times. I make it a point to keep the boost low and work
very hard to keep up and try to stay to the rear of the group.
I figure if you're passing everyone they may get ticked off about it.
A big part of what got me interested in E bikes is that my wife and I were on a ride the YMCA was having and there was an older gentleman close to your age riding. My wife asked what the big thing was on the down tube of his bike. I didn't know much about ,
but I said I thought it was a battery and the bike was electric.
He had much the same story as you , that he couldn't ride without it. I thought how great it was that this could make it possible for him to ride his bike.
Old 10-06-12, 10:49 PM
EBikeFL 

Bikes: 2012 Kona Lanai

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Metal Man
I figure if you're passing everyone they may get ticked off about it.
So that's why all the other cyclists on the road are upset with me.

Oh, well. They pass me in their cars when I'm hauling my groceries so I guess we're even. Some even try to run me over.
Soylent Green is People!
Old 10-07-12, 02:01 AM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by robertg200
But, I don't have anyone to ride with, so am wondering I'd the non-electric groups will look down their noses at me if I join them? I'm 70 years old and not in condition to ride for an hour or two without the pedal assist of an electric.
They might, though being 70 they ought to cut you some slack -- at least you're out there.

That said, you don't have to rub their noses in it -- the least you could do is make sure you're pedalling when everybody else is pedalling (i.e. just about all the time unless you're bombing down a hill.) Don't make it look too easy.
Old 10-07-12, 04:46 AM
rscamp

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My thought is - what an excellent use of an ebike! Absolutely join any group you like! Just don't pass everyone and ride at the front.
Old 10-07-12, 06:44 AM
robertg200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only ride at around 12-13 mph. I use pedal assist most of the time, but like to turn it off to get the exercise benefit when on flats. I'm in Florida, so there are lots of those. Is 12-13 mph fast enough for group riding?
Old 10-07-12, 08:37 AM
rscamp

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have ridden with fairly fit road cyclists and I found with the e-trike I would easily pass them on hills, be about the same speed on the downhills and would lose ground on the flats being limited to 32km/h (20mph).
Old 10-07-12, 09:05 AM
Tony N.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On another note. If you are fast enough on it, you could offer on some rides to pace the ones that are training. What great fun. And if you work out with it by pedaling most of the time, you will get in shape and could opt for a bike that is not pedal assist for some of your rides.
Old 10-09-12, 09:28 AM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Look for "touring" or "no drop" rides; they tend to be a bit slower pace and more welcoming than "race pace" rides.
Old 10-11-12, 10:07 AM
nliang

Bikes: 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the BionX SL350 installed in my HP Velotechnik Scopion FS and I ride with roadies all the time.
On flat with level 2 assist I can maintain an average speed of 19.5 mph and 21 mph at level 4, the roadies can pass me anytime at will;
on downhill, I used to be able to pass them but now I lose betweem 4 to 5 mph due to motor drag;
on uphill for less than 3 degree grade, I am still losing because there is no more power assist above 20 mph, but once the grade is above 3 degree, I will slowly walk away from them.
Old 10-11-12, 10:24 AM
Metal Man

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have the BionX SL350 installed in my HP Velotechnik Scopion FS and I ride with roadies all the time.
On flat with level 2 assist I can maintain an average speed of 19.5 mph and 21 mph at level 4, the roadies can pass me anytime at will;
on downhill, I used to be able to pass them but now I lose betweem 4 to 5 mph due to motor drag;
on uphill for less than 3 degree grade, I am still losing because there is no more power assist above 20 mph, but once the grade is above 3 degree, I will slowly walk away from them.
They may enjoy for the challenge and motivation in trying to keep up with you.
Old 10-11-12, 02:09 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Metal Man
They may enjoy for the challenge and motivation in trying to keep up with you.
Bwaa... They don't seem to enjoy it when I can keep up to them after they pass me not seeing my BIONX while I dawdle along looking at the birds the bees and the moose, then decide to see just what they can do... It NEVER fails, after they pass me they look back a few minuter later and there I am... 100 yards behind them, so they speed up and there I am 100 yards behind them. Now they get serious and the body language says so... And there I am 100 yards behind them. A hill is coming up and they are now full out, and there I am 50 yards behind them 1/2 way up the hill. Now they start to pedal standing up and there I am 25 yards behind them... Now the are pissed that they can't drop me and I am catching up... When I pass them you can see the great relief in their eyes when they see the hub & battery on my bike, but most of them still try and keep up, nobody has yet managed to do that yet, tho on fully level ground some of them probably would get ahead of me but I would ALWAYS catch up...
Old 10-24-12, 10:32 AM
Trikin'

Bikes: Catrike Trail/Catrike Expedition

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
The group I joined were a "no drop" and "no one left behind" bunch. When I arrived for the 1st (to me) ride my pusher trailer got alot of attention. There was 1 fellow who just couldn't get over the thought it was a "cheater" and would point that out throughout the ride. All I wanted was to ride with a group for companionship, but this guy wouldn't shut-up. The nxt couple of rides I left the trailer at home, but riding a trike also created a rift with these wannabe roadies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
June 13 2010 013.jpg (97.3 KB, 17 views)
Nov 28 2010 VBMG 003.jpg (98.2 KB, 14 views)
VBMG June 5 2011 001.jpg (99.7 KB, 17 views)
600_19927970.jpg (51.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 10-24-12, 10:44 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'd expect most of the people on the more casual, recreational rides to be fine with someone having electric assist. But I would suggest that you be reasonably confident that your bike is in good working order. We had someone join us on a few of our easier rides with an electric assist bike that frequently had mechanical/electrical issues. Other riders then felt obligated to help but had little experience fixing problems with the battery and electrical drive components.
Old 11-02-12, 11:11 AM
SoSalty

Bikes: Target Store Schwinn mini-Q100 6.6K lipo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're my man! I'm 57 and hope to be out there riding with the youngins at 70+. Good heavens, fight hard for next to last place and notice the respect you'll get.